Topic

Rainwear for dangerous rain…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rainwear for dangerous rain…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Some good waterproof gloves are also nice. I like the paclite shells from OR.Cold hands don't work well. Also the fleece jacket or vest under the rain gear is great.

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have found that for staying dry, a wideeee brimmed hat and a light fleece(dries very fast) and rain bibs are a must. No, rain bibs are not sexy looking, but very practical as hot water vapor(sweat) will rise leaving your clothes fairly dry even when working/hiking hard. If it starts raining really hard, take everything off but the long johns a long sleeved shirt and then put rain gear on while adding a jacket that has buttons down the front as this will allow you to vent copious amounts of sweat as said wide brimmed hat will overshadow the front of your clothes allowing you to keep your front open. As you will be moving, you create warm vapor that will rise and exit. The snap buttons are there for easy "bellowing" of your torso to keep "dry" from your own sweat.

I worked in a greenhouse/nursery in the pouring rain in the winter for several years at temperatures of 30-45 all day long, day in day out with this setup. Worked in the rain, ate in the rain, peed in the rain… Now I was using heavy rubber gear at the time, but others at the greenhouse also used 3 ply goretex as well to keep dry this way. Some tried using just the standard "pants", but did not work as well as bibs. We had no shelter all day long as we were digging bare root trees and shrubs.

Also several put snaps down the sides of their legs of their bibs so they could vent easily that way as well by simply unsnapping a couple. Beats the snot out of zippers that its either everything or nothing. Not as sexy as full length zippers though. Weight would be about the same I bet or slightly heavier though as one can get very light weight zippers.

At least here in Wetter climates regarding backpacking, PNW(includes Western Montana), its almost more important to have said rain bibs as the brush will soak you far far faster than the rain coming down will. Now I realize most of you guys are talking about hiking on well maintained trails, but any spur trail off of said well maintained trail most certainly will not be and will have corresponding amounts of brush that one must plough through. 3 minutes of brush dumping all of its collected water on you is like several hours of solid hard rain.

Here is my vote for bibs and a WIDE hat. Reverse Poncho style except one has the option of a full real suit when the weather turns nasty that the poncho doesn't really have. Poncho setup would be lighter i am sure.

And please do uh, enjoy the rain. Yea right. Now why did I not go hiking last weekend, hmm let me see… Oh yea, I melt in the rain. Got enough of doing that at the Greenhouse and nursery!

Jason Malone
    Spectator

@redwood22

Locale: Santa Cruz/Scott's Valley CA

I live near Henry Coe. Is this a BPL invite or just a group of friends. If you are inviting BPL contributors, I'd be interested. Please send a PM. Thanks and sry for the hijack.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Jason, It's a trip for anyone. It'll be mostly people who are active on this website.

Here's the link:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35044

Eddie Hinnant

@cedartree

I sure am getting a nice little run of eVent Packa sales. Thanks for the comments.
    The Packa is manufactured by Big Agnes now. I'm not sewing them myself anymore.
    Cedar Tree

Mark Davis

@ncurol

I have just ordered an eVent Packa. I live in Crescent City,CA. We get about 160 inches of rain where I live just east of CC. I'll post later to tell of my experience with this unique piece of equipment.
    Mark

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've wrestled with this raingear-while-hiking problem all my life and still haven't solved it. I think I'm getting closer, however, with some recent success with closed cell foam.

A closed cell foam float coat weighs about 2 lbs if you strip off some of the fabric that isn't needed. A Paramo Aspira Jacket weighs about 30 ounces wo we are in the ballpark, weight wise. Totally different experience inside these garments but for a heavy sweater like me the foam seems to be my best choice so far.

My latest 1/8" foam poncho weighs about 10 ounces and shows promise as a replacement for raincoat, insulating layer, sleep pad, sit pad and rain apron. So I'm going to keep working in this direction to see how happy I can get.

I long ago gave up staying dry and now only work to stay warm while moving. When I get to camp I typicaly strip everything off and put on dry clothes. I can stay dry if I'm only walking around camp.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The multi-use aspect is compelling enough to make the foam system worth exploring, though I can't imagine how well it'd work for me. That said, where I live and hike I'm dealing less with cool rain than either heat and humidity -or- below freezing temps, ice, and snow. In both situations, a foam parka would be a no-go for active use until temps were well below 0 F. Anything above that in the winter and I'd be freezing to death in a puddle of sweat.

I can imagine it might be useful in a place like the PNW, where you are the heat sapping power of fighting long, cool rains. If nothing else, the multi-use aspect is compelling enough to be worth investigating.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

and for me that was a wild things eVent shell that they had on sale not too long ago. i'll admit that it doesn't come out often because i'm a big fan of my (seam sealed) epic hooded windshirt in most rain situations, but when it's needed i'm glad i have it. i tried the poncho route a couple of times, but it's been my experience that with the dangerous rain comes the serious wind and the poncho tended to turn into a sail.

here's me not too long ago having spent all day out in heavy rain, temp's in the low-30's wearing a mammut dri base layer, cloudveil polarstretch hoodie and my wild things event hardshell. i was warm, dry and pretty happy i'd spent the coin on this jacket. comparing this experince to other similar experiences while wearing goretex i'd have to say that eVent blows goretex away.

cheers

wild things hard shell

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Richard,

You are tempting me to get one. Event is something I haven't tried and your experience sounds positive.

Just got driven back into the house by wind, rain and hail. My latest foam outfit wasn't quite up to the task.

Daryl

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools