Topic

Repairing nylon windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Repairing nylon windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I tore the elbow of my windshirt this weekend. It is a 1 inch linear tear, only slightly frayed, but in a high tension area. I was thinking about zigzag sewing it and then applying some seamgrip or silnet, but have not done this before. Any suggestions on the most durable fix and one that will withstand some washing? Do I need to patch it in that area?
    Sewing (other than suturing wounds)is not one of my strong suites, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A patch would be the strongest repair. I have had good luck with ripstop repair tape also. You could go the pants and suspender route and use the repair tape and then sew the perimeter of the tape too.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

+1 on the patch.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used McNett Seam Grip to repair a rodent chewed pack – high tension

Put on top of some plastic, glue it, let it dry, peel off plastic. Try this first on a scrap to make sure it works as planned. Dried seamgrip will stick to itself so you have to wipe some talc on it afterwards.

Or a patch would work too.

Or do like the thread where the person is ripping a hole, putting in down, and sewing it back up. Pull in the fabric, do a bunch of stitches. This will require that the fabric is bigger around so there'll still be enough room when you're done.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Spinnaker tape, or Tenacious tape is pretty effective for this sort of repair. It's what spinnaker tape is intended for, after all…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools