Topic

u.l. beginnings …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists u.l. beginnings …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"The use of chemical or UV treatment to remove the bacteria (0.3 – 1 micron), protozoa (3 – 20 micron) and virus (0.01 micron) will NOT remove or eliminate the hydatid tapeworms threat."

Ken — can you provide a source link re. the above UV ineffectiveness please?

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

Two years ago the NPS recommended boiling or filtering all surface water. Then they added in the recommendation for also using chemicals or UV to eliminate all threats. I believe that coincided with the arrival of a new superintendent at the park.

As far as I can tell, the UV manufacturers are not saying that it is definitely effective vs. tapeworm eggs. I do believe the evidence is there that UV is effective against other water-borne hazards (bacteria, viruses).

Given the unfortunate lack of suporting data for tapeworm effectiveness (and the potentially fatal outcome if infected), in my opinion it is reasonable to err on the side of caution.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I have copied a response from Miles Maiden, inventor of the SteriPEN, when he was asked this same question.

"We have tested SteriPEN only against bacteria, viruses and the protozoa Cryptosporidium and Giardia. We have never tested against worm eggs – so unfortunately I cannot give you a definitive answer with regard to UV treatment in this case. As to our pre-filter – we make no microbiological claims about it as it is really just intended to remove large particulates. The pore size is 4 microns by 4 microns square – it is a nylon material comparable to a coffee filter.

While there is not a lot of literature on UV treatment of worm eggs, you may be interested to look at the following web site: http://parasitology.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/login/n/h/j_010-
    0391.html (This link since my inquiry has been taken down.)

When reading this keep in mind that the UV wavelengths emitted by SteriPEN are in the Mercury band with a primary energy output at 254 nanometers (in the UV-C range). Also, SteriPEN's 1 liter treatment time is 90 seconds and generally delivers over 100 milijoules/sq.cm. during this dose. Below is a quote from the above site: "The UVC lamp significantly inhibited the infectivity of taeniid eggs in rats. The Bonferroni/Dunn test for the mean number of cysts in the control group and the groups exposed to the UVC lamp was significant (P<0.0001), except for the group at an exposure of 30 s (30 mJ/cm 2 at 254 nm). This means that the significant effect of the UVC lamp commences at exposure duration of 90 s (90 mJ/cm 2 at 254 nm)."

So, in a nutshell, I am sorry that I cannot specifically point you to SteriPEN testing on worm eggs. And we probably will not do this testing in the future as it involves animal testing (we did animal testing for Crypto and Giardia because there was no alternative; however we decided we did not want to do animal testing again). But for whatever it is worth, the above referenced link does indicate that UV-C can have a disinfecting effect on worm eggs at the energy levels SteriPEN provides.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
    Miles Maiden – CEO, CTO "

This was forward to me by:
    Aaron Cox
    Technical Support
    Hydro-Photon, Inc.
    PO Box 675 (Mailing)
    262 Ellsworth Rd (Shipping)
    Blue Hill, ME 04614
    [email protected]

As you can see in the study above that while UV did have an effect on taeniid eggs commencing at exposure duration of 90 s (90 mJ/cm 2 at 254 nm) a point at which one liter of water could have been treated with a SteriPen,and was at energy level below that of the SteriPen. One could conclude from this test that UV would be safe, but Hydro-Photon did not elect to make a statement to its product effectiveness on worm eggs nor did it expand its research to add worm eggs nor hydatid organism to prove its technology or add this organism to its list of effective treatment options.

Thus while the current SteriPen’s configuration and treatment procedure could be used in eliminating worm eggs or hydatid organism, Hydro-Photon has NOT pursued nor undergone approved testing for its application for this use. Thus one should say that UV application by the SteriPen to water treatment should NOT BE USED as a recommended NOR SAFE treatment method of eliminating the threat of worm eggs or hydatid organism.

If you are interested, research concerning inhibitory effect of different UV on taeniid eggs also has been published http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11510992 that shows “UVC lamp can be used as a tool in sterilizing taeniid eggs and is thus a promising method to control echinococcosis, although it may require a higher intensity of exposure.”

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ken:

My take on the above: Steripen is pointing out that UV can be effective in treating said worm eggs — in the dosage provided by its devices — although it is also emphasizing that it has not done any actual testing.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Ken:

Steripen is pointing out that UV can be effective in treating said worm eggs — in the dosage provided by its devices — although it is also emphasizing that it has not done any actual testing.

Your statement above, however, declares quite clearly that UV will NOT remove the risk from said worm eggs."

Let me jump in here. You are both correct.

Note that UV treatments are statistally based. The UV devices do not claim to kill 100% of anything.

(The numbers are examples and ONLY examples.)
    If you have 100 eggs in your water and the UV kills 99 of them. Then it is 99% effective.

If you have 100 Gardia in the water and it kills 99 of them then it is 99% effective.

So you are correct, so far, UV is effective. Lets carry this through, though…

It will take between 5 and 10 gardia to give you gardiasis because you have some immunity. So, they can advertise it as "safe" because 1 is below the accepted minimum.

It only takes 1 tapeworm egg to grow a tapeworm. You have no resistance to it. They cannot advertise it as safe because it only takes 1 to infest your body.

It is very hard to make the claim that a pocket UV device is a safe disenfectant against tapeworm eggs since your body has no effective defenses against tapeworm infestation and ANY missed egg would be unacceptable. They cannot ever claim it is safe. Nor, do they try…it's wasted effort for any statistically based treatment, chemical or UV.

Follow?? The difference is the difference between absolute and statistical. Or the Boolean True/False and an inbetween "maybe." You cannot compare between them, a logical impossibility that the manufacturors of Steripen understand. Hence, they will never say it is safe against tapeworms, with reason. Publishing the study will lead to a false sense of security. And, they note it has been taken off the public web, likely because of that reason.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

James:

Agree. Unless supported by some evidence or reputable sources… we can't really make a claim either way. That was my point. In the meantime, as the saying goes, HYOH: Hatch your own hydatid!! :)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Ben, you speak correctly …. “Steripen is pointing out that UV can be effective in treating said worm eggs — in the dosage provided by its devices — although it is also emphasizing that it has not done any actual testing.” and you should add, does not endorse its use of the SteriPen for those organisms.

I do NOT want to go on record nor does Hydro-Photon saying it is safe for the reasoning stated by James. Yes the data presented would provide an individual with some confidence the UV in a SteriPen would provide some protection. Weather you act on the presented data or not it is a personal decision especially knowing that pre filtering the water through a <30 micron filter will remove the threat. (Have you noticed SteriPen sell a nominal pore size of 4 micron Pre-Filters?) Areas of known high concentrations of worm eggs or hydatid organisms as in the Isle Royale ecosystem is a risk the park system and I do not want to take when I visit the island and is against best knowledge of the manufacture Hydro-Photon's.

Isle Royale has been warning hikers of the hydatid organism (Echinococcus grandulosus) threat at Isle Royale National Park, since I first backpacked on the island in the early 70" (1973). The statement below was taken from the Isle Royale map handout:
    “All surface water must be considered contaminated with the eggs of the hydatid tapeworm. Chemical purification will not kill the eggs; all water should be filtered, or boiled for at least 5 minutes before using.”

The island stores during this time also sold some type of filter paper to reduce the risk..…Echinococcus eggs have a diameter of 30-38 micron. Back then I pre filtered with a piece of ripstop nylon over the mouth of a Katadyn gravity treatment system (no longer available) that contained iodine crystals ALL the water our family used for the 13 day we were on the island. Back then I saw numerous individual hauling Lake Superior water to the inland camps so to not boil or filter their water.

What do plan doing when I visit the island this year? Pre filter all inland water where the risk is the greatest and then SteriPen.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

"KRUPS – Gold Tone Coffee Filter .3 micro"
    should read, KRUPS – Gold Tone Coffee Filter 3 micron mesh.

Also, Chad made a comment that he used a MontBell O.D.Compact Dripper to pre filter. I would not use that on Isle Royale if you are going to pre filter since its mesh size is 60 micron mesh.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Never said that you should use the O.D. Compact Dripper as a means to filter out eggs. Just that I use it to filter out particles prior to treating with a Steripen.

I mean the thing IS only a coffee filter. :/

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Others may interprete as did you could use the coffee filter as an alternated way to filter the water. Thanks for the clarification.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

No problem! I don't for people to think the OD would filer out anything other than the big stuff (ie. organic matter you don't want to drink) ;)

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

Why do these forum threads always go to water filtration? My goodness people! People get so angry and entrenched in their own positions regarding filtration….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I agree that your list looks good to go. Could replace the MSR towel with a bandana, but nothing else really stands out.
    Edit: Ben points out an obvious omission below.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I don't see a backpack?? I would recommend taking a second BIC lighter. Cheap and light weight insurance.

EDIT: Oops… looks like the backpack issue has already been addressed.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools