Topic

Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

New baby moves my sewing machine(s) into the workshop area along with gear closet. Not a compliant, it’s actually nice to have everything in one location, It’s convenient to roll the work bench out and have a table walk around to cut some of the larger 54″+ wide material.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Just picked this up yesterday. Made in Germany before the Russians disassembled the factory. Late 1930s.

Always wanted to try a treadle.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Several ……… but my serger is by far the most amazing machine. Made in Japan, it’s a mechanical wonder. My friend Peter V. located this for me in Texas. I use it about 15 hours a week. If only I could find a sewing machine of this quality….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That is a beauty Ken!

ps. I guess I may have posted my serger  on this thread before but did not check…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

My mom had one of those Ken

“I guess I may have posted my xxx  on this thread before but did not check”

I hate it when I do that

Well… not that much : )

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I had an old Singer treadle machine like that – well, actually it was my wife’s. The sewing machine part flipped down under the ‘table’, for storage I guess. I ended up giving it away when I moved from Maryland.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I need the leg room and have been looking for this particular style table for a while. The flip down and front drawer on most just don’t have room for my legs underneath.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Nick’s kit is too new fangled :)

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

After reading about Delmar’s Mom’s Necchi’s, I have been hot on the trail to find a Julia.  It finally happened and I found a pink Necchi Julia.  It is every bit as nice as I hoped it would be.  My first project was a sewing machine cover for my mother.  She practically cried when I presented it to her.  

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Super cute cover Jennifer!

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Thanks Ken!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A camper! That’s cool.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

My current machine is a Singer 247, prob from 70’s, given to me by my grandmother-in-law 6 months ago. I modded it to do leg patches on my Carhartt work pants. Basically cutoff as much “excess” from the table w/ a grinder as I could, sanded/buffed edges to eliminate snagging and added a wood foot/protector for the belt drive underneath. Works great so far! Just finished an Arc Blast clone backpack out of silnylon (will post in another thread).

I started on an old green Kenmore from the 40’s or 50’s that weighed 30-40 lbs and used single action pattern discs. Got it for $15 off CL. Gave that away after getting this Singer because I was never able to find a zigzag disc for it.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

This is one of my vintage machines.  It’s a supernova Necchi in pink.  I also have a singer Rocket 500a as well.  I’d like to sell them both, would I be able to list them on the gear swap page here?

thanks!

Pam

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Stranger things have sold here.

Daniel T
    BPL Member

@phattony420-2

Hey guys,  thanks to this site, I have become addicted to sewing!  I literally started 2 weeks ago and have kind of gone all out with my crafting area.  I got a hold of 2 old machines, disassembled and cleaned them up and couldn’t be happier.

I am using the Pfaff 230 for leather work and it is one sweet machine.  The other machine is a vintage Emdeko, manufactured in Japan and runs like a dream.  After playing with newer models made of plastic, I don’t think I would ever want to change these out.

Being recently divorced, I have no one to tell me what I can’t do anymore and I have the whole place to myself :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

re Ken T’s old treadle Singer from the 1930s …
    I have the next model up with electric motor, and it still works perfectly. Great for packs and webbing.

But the real story is about the treadle. I once spent 1/2 hr chatting with the manager of the Australian Singer plant here in Sydney, maybe 20 years ago. He told me that the model with the longest production run and still one of the biggest sellers was … the same (or similar) treadle machine. I looked astonished at this, so he explained: they ship them in container loads to Africa, where they don’t have any electricity. No-one else was making treadle machines for this market!

Cheers

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

re: Ken’s treadle machine …

For several years my youngest sister earned a good portion of her income buying pre 1950’s sewing machines to hardcore old school quilters.  When she found one with a motor she’d toss the motor and install a crank or mount it on a treadle base.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Daniel, that is a beautiful machine. If you get a girlfriend and need more space I would gladly give it a new home ;) in exchange for dollars of course.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools