Topic

Hiking Through Hyperbole: Blisters and Fire

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hiking Through Hyperbole: Blisters and Fire

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

What about carrying maps of the trail instead of guide books? I don't know if maps in the US have these trails indicated on them, but I would guess so. Getting the most recent copy and getting updates from the forestry people to me would seem a good base for a well guided hike. Then again, i never (really) hiked in the US, so I could be wrong.

A guy named Halfmile has a great set of maps for PCT hikers. They may very well be the second most popular publication on the trail this year, with Yogi coming in first. The biggest reason to carry the guidebooks is if you want to read about the history, geography and plant life along the trail.

As for iPod/Android do it all gadgets. How about making a PCT app that is a GPS guide, come town guide, come restaurant guide, come everything? Dinners, trail angels, accommodation along the way should be able to change their own data and forestry service can live update changes to trail sections. It would give you at the minute weather reports and by a touch of a button update your location on the trail, so your hiking buddies and people back home can see where you are.

Again, you can get most of that from Halfmile. Download his waypoints. Modify the waypoints with additional information concerning all that you want. Weather reports would be tougher, but Postholer's website has a cell phone oriented page that provides weather when you put in your coordinates. If you want live updates and have a good data signal, then you could probably do that with Postholer's online map.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Ryan, Eugene,

Thanx for the tips, but I am no where near planning a PCT hike in the near or far future (I hike in Europe). Sorry if I gave that impression. I was just wondering out loud why you didn't use a map and about the use of a dedicated app. That trail magic app seems pretty nice though.

Eins

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Great reports. For all of the rain you experienced, there were still lots of stunning photos. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools