Topic

Big Sky shelters — who has ordered? who got their’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky shelters — who has ordered? who got their’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Tim Mal

@fishface

After reading about the delivery problems, I’m holding off on placing an order, but am curious about just how many people have really experienced problems. Given the reviews, at least some of the folks who’ve ordered have recieved their tents and seem quite pleased. So, I’d like to do a little survey:

Have you order a shelter from Big Sky?

If yes, when? what model?

Did you get it yet?

If ‘yes’, when?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Have you ordered a shelter from Big Sky? Yes.

If yes, when? what model? 9/27/05 – Evolution 1P. Mid-October (2-week) delivery promised.

Did you get it yet? Nope. Finally cancelled in early January and got refunded on 1/18/06.

I was told of delays due to quality problems, then I was promised upgrades a few times after that. Each time, delivery was going to be just a few more weeks away! When I saw people pre-paying in December, I decided that was a good time to get my money back. So, I have heard the usual stories before most other people.

It’s a shame, because the Evolution is really a good tent (I’ve played with one)…

dennis hoff

@dehoff

Locale: The Frozen Tundra

Yes

2/02/06, Evolution 2P2V (rev. C) (iMarch/first week of April initial ship date)

Did you get it yet?
    No, cancelled order on 9/05/06, and have yet to receive any response from Big Sky on numerous attempts. All emails and phone calls were promptly responded to BEFORE I paid for the tent.

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Have you ordered a shelter from Big Sky? Yes.

If yes, when? what model? 6/29/06 – Evolution 1P. July delivery promised.

Did you get it yet? No. Every time he says “but should ship in the next 30 days”.

He says it’s due to matter of the factory. But I think that problem is caused by him.
    Why he could placed his products at OR show?

R Z

@taylor

Locale: z

R Z

@taylor

R Z

@taylor

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

This is the kind of thing that prompts me to say, “What a loser!” I’ve read the threads concerning Bob and Big Sky and what this guy is doing is crazy. I find it particularly ironic that after Taylor posts his message on here letting others know the kind of terrible service typical of Big Sky and that Bob won’t respond to him or refund his money, a refund is promptly sent. It lets me know he has time to get on here and read people’s posts but apparently not enough time to get his “production issues” in check. Good product or not, a business that has customer service, or disservice,like this won’t last long.

dennis hoff

@dehoff

Wow. I just filed the PayPal dispute, and then checked my email.

Bob responded to me from one of my previous emails today that he is traveling overseas to get orders shipped and will issue a refund in mid-October when he returns.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

One should read ALL the threads concerning Big Sky very carefully. If memory serves, this is not the 1st overseas trip that “Bob” was about to go on after which he promised something would happen. Don’t listen to “the refund check’s in the mail” line if you’ve paid by C/C

a C/C refund should be demanded and should be almost instantaneous and can be verified.

Mary Simpson

@maryphyl

Yes, I have mine and one that I ordered for my brother in law too. We both got the evolution 1P–I had to wait but now I also have my groundcloth and my stakes–I had a pole go bad on me and Bob replaced it. Tough starting a new business–he should not have advertised until he had product to sell. I have not felt mistreated–I think he is in there trying. mary

Steve Robinson
    BPL Member

@jeannie-2

Have you ordered a shelter from Big Sky? Yes

If yes, when? what model? Evolution 2P2D late Dec. ’05

Did you get it yet? Yes, after a fair bit of communication.

If ‘yes’, when? Early Aug.

Would I order again? Not for a very very long time of excellent customer service reviews. Lets hope Bob can pull that off, because it’s a nice piece of gear.

Thomas Roberts

@tr

Locale: Southern California

I ordered one in May and by August I still had not received my tent. I had thme refund my money of which they did. I then ordered a Stephensons Warmlite tent, I am glad I did, it is such a great tent. I do not know what the problem is with Big Sky, but they sure do have a production issue.

T Bentley

@hikeringilbert

Have you ordered a shelter from Big Sky? Yes

If yes, when? what model? Evolution 2P2D2V Dec. 29 ’05

Did you get it yet? Yes.

If ‘yes’, when? Aug. 15 ’06

Would I order again? Unlikely. Although Bob was pretty responsive to my e-mails, 8 months was way too long to wait for product. He needs to get a grip on his “factory” situation, and produce some stock before taking ANY more orders. It really is a nice tent, and I would say hang on a bit longer to those still waiting.

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

Have you order a shelter from Big Sky? Yes, Mar 31/06

If yes, when? what model? Evolution 2P2D

Did you get it yet? No

Rumor has it the company name is being changed to Mountain Vaporware.

I filled out the PayPal dispute form, which it accepted quite readily, but then a popup told me the dispute was not valid. A bit of digging and I found that they have date cutoffs at 20 and 45 days.

dennis hoff

@dehoff

Has anyone actually received a tent or refund recently??

Bill Nitzberg
    BPL Member

@billnitzberg

Yes.

Apr 1, 2006
    Evolution 2P 1D1V

Did you get it yet?
    No, nor have I received a reply to my request for a refund made on Oct 2.

Jeffrey Olson

@jjolson

I ordered my tent on December 20, 2005. I have yet to receive it, or a refund I started requesting three months ago. I’m irked…

Jeffrey Olson

@jjolson

I talked to American Express and was asked to write a letter as it has been nearly a year since I ordered the tent. If they don’t give me satisfaction I will file a claim in small claims court. It’ll give me a good reason to drive to Jackson…

Jeff Olson
    Martin, SD

J R

@ravenul

Id say you guys have reason for a class action law suit at this point. Im no lawyer of course, but this is insane.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I ordered my Evolution 2P “Pole Clip” with Marigold Fly on December 6, 2005. So far I have gotten a loaner tent (original prototype) late last spring. I have also received the CF poles and the footprint I ordered. I have also received various excuses and delivery estimates. But no tent.

This just came from Bob Molen:

Denis,
    Sorry for the delay in responding.

I am at our factory watching your marigold Evolution 2P with POLE CLIPS being produced… it is our new rev. E…they look great!… I am 99% confident it will be shipped to you by end of this month… when it is ready to ship I will let you know… when we get the loaner back, we will ship your new one to you… you can ship the loaner back now or wait until I confirm that your new Evolution 2P is ready to ship… please ship the loaner to:
    Big Sky International
    970 W Broadway, Ste E289
    Jackson, WY 83001
    phone: 888-535-7085

I told him I would wait for his word that the tent was packed, labeled, ready to ship.

Wish me luck.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Best wishes. Looks like you can “see the light at the end of the tunnel”. Hopefully, it will turn out better for you than for Willy.

Chuck Shugart
    BPL Member

@cshugart

Locale: Canadian Prairies

Guess I should have read to the end on the other thread, just posted there. So here’s my story. I ordered when the 10% discount was still on so I guess it was in late march or April. I ordered an evolution 2P with aluminum poles and an extra set of carbon fibre ones, around $400.00 Canadian if I remember right, maybe more. Anyway, I’m still waiting. I contacted Big Sky by phone, mid summer, Bob was nice and I just figured it was cottage industry start up grief. A good review from Backpacking lite, could swamp any small industry with orders, and apparently has here. But If I wait, does that give him a chance to get his act together, or me no chance to get my tent (which is what I really want) or money back? Bob, I’m still waiting, but not patiently. No more backpacking trips till you get your business in order. Please.

sandra nancarrow

@sandynan94510

Stii waiting for the tent I ordered March 30, 2006. No response from Bob and crew for some time to phone calls/emails. I still have feeble hope after reading some of the previous postings about very delayed delivery.

Come on, Bob…. give me a break AND a tent!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools