Topic

1 Person, 2 Pound, Dble Wall Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1 Person, 2 Pound, Dble Wall Tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

David,

The fly is 8 feet long and about 8 feet wide. The ridge line of the fly and the ends are 24" wide. You could visualize the footprint of the fly as a rectangle that is 2' X 8' with a 3 foot triangular vestibule on both sides. The ridgline of the fly is 4 feet high. I've used these dimensions on the fly for decades and it feels large inside. With the fly pitched about 6" off the ground I've never had rain get to the inner tent. The inner tent is at least 1 foot inside the fly at the closest points (the ends).

Now the inner tent is small by anyone's standards. That's why I refer to it as a bivy tent rather than a full blown tent. It is 6' long, 18" wide at the ends and 30" wide at the mid point. It can be 45" tall at the pointy top or less if I lower it with the adjustable buckle. I'm 5' 8" tall. When sleeping in the bivy my sleeping bag is touching the bivy on all sides. When I lower the bivy I might have fabric touching me or my sleeping bag on top too. On a positive note, however, I can easily change clothes due to the height of the bivy and everything in the bivy is easily accessable. These small quarters aren't for everyone and certainly not for the claustrophbic. It works for me, however. The advantage of myog is that I only have to please me.

One would think that condensation would be a problem because it is such a small tent. My experience over the last 10 years or so, however, has been just the opposite. I think the lack of coated surfaces and easily warmed interior might be the reason. My previous draft of the inner bivy had no mosquito netting at all. It will be interesting to see what effect, if any, the newly added mosquito netting will have.

Daryl

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools