Topic

pillow recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) pillow recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I've been using a 2 litre platty as a pillow for a couple of years, and feel the need for luxury to aid in my sleep. The platty is OK, but I keep thinking I'd like more comfort.
    I've been thinking the Montbell, the Western Mountaineering down pillow, the Thermarest lumbar pillow, or the Exped inflatable. I'm a toss and turn sleeper, front, side and back, so… I currently use a Prolite short sleeping pad.
    Any users experiences and preferences?
    cheers,
    fred

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Fred-

I use the Coccon Hyperlight Pillow, 2.3oz. It is inflatable with stuffing around the bladder. It doesn't feel at plastic like many others do. I am an "active" sleeper like yourself and this has proven to be the best pillow for me. In fact I sleep more on my side and stomach and the pillow has never failed me. And it is so small I just stuff it in with my sleeping bag. Amazing luxury item!

Have fun

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Grand Trunk makes one called the travel pillow, its insanely comfy full of synthetic fill, but weighs a hefty 8 oz.grand trunk travel pillow

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I have a Kookabay synthetic inflatable pillow. It's nice and has survived my abuse well, I wish it was bigger because I also toss and turn. He does make bigger pillows for side sleepers. I really should put a couple strips of silicone on it so it doesn't slide so easily. He can also use down instead of synthetic insulation. Goosefeet can do down pillows, but I do not believe they're inflatable.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Pillows.. Tried a bunch of things through the years. The Montbell inflatable is O.K. I use a Buff as a pillowcase to get away from the plastic feeling. I have recently acquired a WM Cloudrest pillow. 5 ounces. It is a real pillow though and oh so comfy. I applaud those who can sleep on a thinlight with a ziploc bag as a pillow. That is not me. Active sleeper. Back, sides, repeat. I don't usually have enough clothes for a pillow. Don't want to be sleeping with my head on my shoes either. Going to be hard not to take it along I think. Got the Cloudrest free from Moontrail with the order of my Mitylite.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Ken, I have the same problems. I can't comfortably use an inflatable because I flop around so much in my sleep. Its good to hear that the Western Mountaineering pillow works well. I use the Thermarest pillow which is 7oz. The weight savings isn't huge but I'm curious to know if the WM packs down significantly smaller. Do you have experience with both?

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have not tried a T-rest pillow though have seen them. I would think that a down filled pillow the same size as the T-rest foam filled ones would pack down smaller. The Cloudrest packs down to the size of a grapefruit.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Granite Gear Pillowsack with fleece on one side 1.6 oz. I have one and it's just like home. Not UL but use it as a stuff sack for you bag and your not breaking the bank with weight. I find that a down jacket is nice stuffed in it, old socks not so great.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

+1 for the Exped.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

+1 on the Cocoon Hyperlite. It packs down to half the size of a soda can too.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have the Exped and the Montbell. I'm still trying to decide between the two, but the Exped seems to be leading.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Cocoon Hyperlite has been a good buy for me. At 50% inflated your head rests right in the middle. It does have a tendency to roll with your head since there is no baffle in the middle…

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

So, my name is pillowthread…I've thought about this one for a while, and, being that I also spend some time during an average night on each my back, side, and stomach, I can heartily recommend the WM Cloudrest pillow. Lain flat it is perfect for stomach sleeping, and folded in half it works well for back and side sleeping. It also makes a great lumbar support when either rolled up loose or inside its stuff sack. I've slept on it for 30 or so nights now, and I can attest to its comfort and laughable pack size.

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

I have the Cocoon one, its not really that great for my particular sleep style, I find I have to deflate it almost down to nothing to make it comfortable. It is light as hell and packs down to nothing though.

My gf lugs around a big Thermarest pillow. Its too bulky for me but I am jealous of her when the sun goes down. The small thermarest one might be do-able, she has the medium or large size I believe

I have also seen some down-pillows for sale, havent tried one yet

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I use a Coghlan's Pack Pillow stuffed with a synthetic vest I carry/wear year round. Light, comfy, and multi-functional.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I recently purchased the snoring bear pillow by Arrowhead Equipment. It's not the lightest at 5 oz., but it is by far the most comfortable pillow I've tried thus far. I've never liked inflatables and I don't find that down pillows (backpacking size) provide enought support. The snoring bear measures 8" x 12" and it's made with climashield insulation with around 5" of loft. I had him make mine with momentum so its nice and soft. He also sells a smaller one which weighs in around 3 oz. with the stuffsack (snoring cub). Definitely worth looking into.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

+1 I would even tell you not to look for alternatives.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

True about the Hyperlite. I leave mine half deflated and it's perfect for side and stomach sleeping.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

OK I'll be villified by the UL Police, but I like a COMBINATION pillow of an inflatable base (Flexair dual chamber was UL and great if not so durable – anyone know why BPL doesn't stock them any more?); Cocoon also works but have just acquired MontBell to try – should be better as the baffles will provide a flatter base than the Cocoon.

On top of the inflatable we use a down layer, typically a MontBell jacket or vest (or a CloudRest pillow in the tropics if we're not carrying a down layer) and wrap everything up in an old Thermarest pillow slip. I've had these pillow slips for maybe 20 years, and I don't think these are on the market any more – weight is approx 35g, fabric is like a very light fleece – anyway the whole combination is relatively light and oh so comfy! A Buff would also work as a pillow slip I guess.

We find that our comfort requirements are increasing in direct proportion to our advancing years!

Cheers,

KK

Bill Markwood

@wpmarkwood

My wife and I liked our Thermarest pillows so much we got the large size for our everyday (night) use.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Side sleeper here – I love the Kooka Bay inflatable. Light, good support, works regardless of which side I'm on!

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Thanks for all the input.
    I will probably get an exped and a WM down pillow, one for me and one for the wife.
    Cheers,
    Fred

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Hey Jeff, Thanks for mentioning us :) Like Jeff mentioned we do have the option to make either size of the pillows in Momentum 90 in the blue, black or grey color. It adds $5.00 to the cost to upgrade the fabric and we ship them normally next day. I can do them with or without the hammock keeper cord.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'll second the Arrowhead Equipment pillows. Wonderful. I use the larger one when ground dwelling, and have found the smaller one perfect for hammocking.

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

#1 Jollygreen Giant pillow from Bender. Man this think is awesome. It is larger than his standard pillow but only wieghs 2.2 oz. The best "lightweight" side sleeping pillow made.
    Jeff

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools