Topic

10.5 oz Cuben Fiber / Xpac Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 10.5 oz Cuben Fiber / Xpac Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for all the great responses. Here are some more details. I have a Husqvarna Viking 540 "Lilly". I am practicing on uncoated 3oz nylon from Joann's with Gutermann Heavy Duty thread.

"What size sewing needle are you using in your machine?"

I have tried 90/14 and 100/16 needles.

"It sounds like you are adjusting the thread tension on the top side. Are you adjusting the bobbin's thread tension also?"

I am adjusting the top side thread tension all the way to maximum versus a middle setting for lighter weight thread. I am NOT adjusting the bobbin tension. I have read the manual and looked at the bobbin compartment closely and there does not appear to be a bobbin tension setting. Note, the bobbins on this machine are simply a small spool, rather than a case.

"Standard home machines generally shouldn't use anything higher than a V-69 thread"

I believe the Gutermann Heavy Duty is a #30-#40 weight thread.

"Did your sewing machine come with a basting stitch bobbin case?"

I don't have a basting stitch case, but your comments make me wonder about methods to reduce bobbin tension. I will see if a local dealer can help on this.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Chris, that's such a cool way of handling the sewing of Cuben + xpac, that's inspiring, thanks for sharing your process.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools