Topic

Another snow trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Another snow trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Hi Guys,

I would like to come. Is there room?
    I would be skiing.
    To refresh who I am since I haven't posted much I was the guy with the Gatewood Cape on the Coe Trip.

Rick

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Sure Rick, everyone is welcome, I'm trying to get that Fri. off so I can spend 2 nights in the snow, I don't know if anyone else is up for that plan, when I find out for sure I will post it.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Hi Jack,

That's great! I might be able to head up on Friday. If I can I will.

Rick

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I have Fri. off, and will be driving up in the morning, who wants to come up on Fri.? We might be able to meet somewhere and have breakfast.

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

Hey All, I am interested as well. However, I haven't done any snow camping, do you think this would be a good first time trip?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

If the weather holds, this will be an excellent 1st snow trip, with breath taking views, and a very short hike, come on along, if you have any questions about gear, now is the time and place to ask.

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Excellent, I have been wanting to try snow camping but I dont know anyone with experience.

I have a couple of questions:

I can rent snow shoes here in Davis, is that the best option? I am not ready to buy anything at this point. I have done some cross country skiing but I am not very proficient.

What clothing would be appropriate? I have some extra money so I can purchase a few things if necessary.

I have cap 1 long underwear (top and bottom), montbell wind pants (water repellent and fairly durable), montbell down inner jacket, rain shell jacket (not insulated), balaclava plus hat, liner gloves plus shell mittens, medium weight wool socks and Inov8 trail runners. That is about it, I am sure I will need a bit more insulation and I am not sure if the shoes are appropriate. Suggestions?

I also have a fairly robust sleeping bag, it is old but still good to about 15-20 degrees.

Shelter is either a bivy + tarp or an SMD Lunar duo. I am leaning towards the tarp but I am open to suggestions.

I have an alcohol stove and an msr whisperlite.

Anything else I should be considering?

In the meantime, I will do some research on winter camping.

Anyone interested in carpooling? I think I can get the Friday off.

Thanks for any advice.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Adam, last time me and David W. went on New Year's Eve, to that same area, I wore my light insulated hiking pants, with silk base layer top and bottom, my cap 1 ss shirt, Marmot precip rain jacket, and marmot gloves. My new snow boots are the Salomon Tundra, my feet use to always get cold until I bought these, my snow shoes are M.S.R. with tails, my tent of choice is my Moment, tried and tested, last time when we got about 15-18 inches of snow over night, so I know it works. At night I changed into my warm gear, mid weight merrino wool, top and bottom, Goose Feet down booties over my merrino wool socks, First Ascent down jacket, and a fleece balaclava, this is what I wear to bed in my W.M. Alder bag rectangular cut, on top of a Neo Air pad reg. with a ccf blue pad under that, I stayed toasty warm in my tent, and the temp inside was a constant 32* I am a warm sleeper most of the time, and hiking in that set up I was sweating the whole time I was hiking. I will probably bring my Pocket Rocket to cook with instead of my alcohol stove, it's better at melting snow, I usally bring a Platy 6 liter to put all the collective water in so everybody has enough water to cook with and drink. Always pack warm, and if the weather changes, and it looks like it will be warmer, you might be able to leave a few things behind when we start the hike, but if you pack light, you cant add anything if you don't have it. Food I try to keep it simple, lots of calories, and liquids, soup, hot chocolate, hot tea, oatmeal, any questions you can email me
    [email protected]

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Jack, my wife and I are in as long as the weather holds. What is the final destination?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Dewey Point Yosemite, I'll be there Fri. anyone else? let's get a head count of who is going to be there on Fri. and who will be there on Sat. please confirm it here and I will post a complete list. Thanks,Jack

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

The List
    Jack
    Ken H. & wife
    Adam Criswell
    Richard Niemi
    Katharina
    David W.
    Tony Wong + 2
    Dave T.
    Marc Eldridge
    Kevin Smith?

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

I plan on showing up on Friday but I don't know what time yet. The earlier the better.

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

I am still waiting to hear about getting Friday off but I am definately in for Saturday and probably Friday too.

What do you think the temps will be? I checked the badger pass snow report and today there is a high of 30 and low of 23. Sound about right?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Any chance of carpooling from the Bay Area on Friday? if not Friday, on Saturday?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

it's not this weekend is it???? I thought it was the 18-20th????

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Ken you're right, it's next weekend 18-20th

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

man I had a heart attack. Cool! We're there!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Ken I think my Gout got jealuos, after I got home I've had a mild attack, but it wont stop me from goin on this trip.

List update
    Kevin is out
    Tony Wong?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jack,

Sorry, I am out….week two of being sick.

Just won't be back to health by the time the trip is happening.

Guess you will have to take photos with your new camera and post up a trip report. :)

-Tony

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm jealous!

kevin smith

@divr6347

would love to go but my wife has signed myself and my son up for a father son
    campout for that weekend will still be fun there is a bbq dinner and bonfire on the scedule along with a lot of other activities for dads and sons so it should be ok

i have never camped on a baseball field before i wonder what kind of shelter i need for that LOL

have a great time guys

kevin

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Don't be jealous Doug, just meet us on the mountain. Tony got the camera today, I went with the Cannon sd 14000

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

I am in for Friday. Would it be possible for those of us going on Friday to meet up some place outside of Yosemite and take one vehicle?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jack my buddy, my wife and I will be taking the first trail off Glacier Pt. Rd. towards Dewey Pt. We should be in the area around 1-2 pm on Sat. Is there a place you have in mind for camping or are you guys just going to find a place. I know it is pretty easy to walk around that area…just wondering???

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Adam, we would but we are coming in on Sat. When you say meet outside the park. Are you talking about the Hwy 120 entrance or coming in from Mariposa….if you could please let us know so that plans could be made. Looking forward to meeting you!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools