Topic

Backpack #2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Backpack #2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Well I finished up pack number 2 and wanted to share some photos. I had plenty of material left over from my first pack to use on this one. I wanted this pack to be smaller then my first pack, so the volume is around 1500 cu in and it weighs 16oz. I used the same style shoulder straps as I used on my first pack. I did however change the hip belt a bit. I did not use a zipper on this one, I used Velcro. I did this because I wanted to combine the bottom webbing of the shoulder strap in with the hip belt. I think it looks much better then having the bottom shoulder strap webbing on the inside of the hip belt strap. Plus it is much easier to get my hand in and out of the hip belt pocket then it was with the zipper. I also used some xpac to make the channels for the shock cord on the side pockets. The hardest part about this pack was sewing the top curve of the pack to the back. It would always want to creep off the curve. I also put a pocket on the inside and cut a piece of foam pad to use as a back pad. The hip belt might be a little over kill for the size of the pack but I figure I can stuff them full of cliff or power bars for a quick grab while hiking.Front view of packSide view of packBack view of packFront Strap CloseupHip BeltHip Belt CloseupShoulder StrapSide closeup
    My 2 yards of Xpac is running low I think I have just enough Grey to try one more pack, sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday! I will post some pics when I'm finished.

Chris

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've sewed a lot of tents, packs, etc. but my sewing skills aren't up to your level. I make things functional but haven't invested the time to learn how to make things look really good…..like your packs.

So I'm curious. Did you have a lot of sewing experience before you made these packs?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow! This one looks great too. I was wondering if you would share your source for the mesh you used on the pockets?

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Hey Daryl, my only sewing experience before these packs was sewing the bug netting on a hammock I made on my moms sewing machine. Oh I also sewed a sweat shirt in 7th grade Home Ec ;) Other then that I am new to sewing.

Ken I got the mesh for the pockets from my local wal-mart $1.50 bin. I wish I would have bought all they had!

Chris

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

both packs look really good

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Good grief! Both of your packs look phenominal! Congratulationd on two very cool looking packs! I, and I'm sure others, am very excited to some other gear that you can put out! As well, how did you finish the edges inside the pack? Rolled and sewn? Grosgrain? Pics? Thanks and keep up the good work!

Clint

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

I used grosgrain for the inside seams and then flat felled seamed the ones I could. I don't have any pics of the inside of this pack but here are some of the inside of my first pack to give you an idea.Inside seams 1Inside Seam 2Inside strap areaCloseup of seams

I know these are of the inside of my other pack, but it should give you an idea of the way I put it together. The grosgrain adds some weight to the pack but it make the inside look much cleaner or finished.

Chris

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Chris, this is really amazing work and its truly inspiring! I have a couple yards of ripstop nylon in front of me, and a sewing machine still in its box…it was all part of a Christmas gift / new year's resolution to start MYOG. After viewing your stuff, it make's me very eager to start. Again, your packs are very very impressive. Did you learn everything from just examining other gear and reading the forums? Do you have any books, or resources you can recommend for the aspiring gear maker?

Seriously blows my mind…I've seen lot of patient, hardworking people give a shot at MYOG, but it pales in comparison to the natural talent your exhibiting. If you aren't already settled into a career, or career track, it may be a worthwhile venture to experiment and dabble a bit in the cottage industry. Hell, you could probably do it on the side. Keep it up!

Also, have you thought about working with cuben?

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Hey Konrad, open up that box and get sewing! That sounds like a great Christmas gift and New Years resolution! My wife got me my first sewing machine for our anniversary this past September, I was not sure if I really wanted one or not but she said to go ahead and give it a try.

As far as resources I use, I just read posts on forums like this, I also went to REI or other outdoor stores to look at the gear and see how it was put together. The great thing about MYOG is that you can do whatever you want. You can put straps and buckles in places that might only make since to you, but it is your own creation. I did take a lot of time before starting on these coming up with a design and drawing up patterns on cardboard. It just made it easier for me when it came time to start. I made sure to measure twice and cut once and I tried to not let myself rush through the project. Just take your time and think out what you want to make and you will do great.

I have been giving some thought to using cuben for the main body of the pack, but have not bought any as of yet to give it a try. I love the weight of the fabric but I'm concerned about the durability. I will just have to break down and buy some and give it a shot.

Chris

Carl Becker

@carlhbecker

Well done!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nice!! Reminds me of my beloved Mountainsmith Ghost.

Dave Richardson

@dzrichwm

Absolutely phenomenal. Clever design and impeccable craftsmanship!

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I am just blown away by the craftsmanship of both of your packs. They are impeccable!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools