Topic

College student looking to go light

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists College student looking to go light

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

Actually should have a shell coming soon, a medium Solstice Vidar 3L.

The deal seemed too good to pass up:

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/solstice-vidar-3l-shell-mens?AID=10366879&PID=46157&SID=ebs257751014sbe

It has good reviews, and after reading up on rain shells I decided I wanted pit zips in a jacket.

Probably pretty heavy though, I'll weigh it when it comes.

I would have looked for something lighter, but we get the occasional downpour in Boone so I wanted something that would hold up for daily use as well.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

what is backpacker insurance?

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

Will update the lists a bit in a moment, I've got a barely used Tarptent Contrail coming my way from a forum member soon.

Really considering a GoLite quilt as a (relatively) cheap bag. $132 for a new 1+ doesn't look too bad.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

…You were looking for a light tarp or tent that was inexpensive but quality. Were you going to see about making one? If not, check out GoLite's "Poncho Tarp." They're having a sale, and for your first purchase, you can get 40% off. That makes an $80 dual purpose item only $48. I picked one up, they're only 7oz. Team that with an inexpensive water-resistant bivy at 6-9 ounces, and you have a pound of less for your shelter. It's also flexible: no rain, nice night, cowboy camp…no rain, buggy jump in the bivy; storming and nasty, you've got a little shelter to shelter your shelter with. :)

Windshirt: I have the Houdini, and can speak to it's beauty. :) Wore it recently on a 5 mile hike in a torrential & gusty downpour (temps in the high 40's/ low 50's), with just a midweight fleece and a capilene 1 baselayer, and I was toasty and for all intents and purposes dry at the end. Residual moisture, but hardly noticeable, and core was bone dry. Keep checking the Gear Swap here. I just picked up a backup windshirt (different style) in my size for $35. Be patient and let the gear come to you in the Gear Swap. Hopefully you can grab it before others can.

I'd look at layering over any one big jacket. Merino, fleece, whatever your flavor. I've found that layering is gold. If it makes you sweat like a hotbox inside, though, you may as well just walk around in a shirt. Going to get soaked anyway.

I picked up a Nano Puff in the Gear Swap for much less that it's retail. I really like it. An effective layering system I've found for the West Coast/Sierras that's worked for me:

Houdini/windshirt (with basic DWR properties)
    Nano-Puff
    R1 Hoodie
    Capilene or merino layer

I hate being cold, so sometimes I have to hold myself from overpacking on the clothes end. My name is Dug, and I'm a recovering clothes-a-holic. :)

Mills
    BPL Member

@mills0713-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: PNW

You mentioned wanting to repackage Dr. B and sunblock. I love these! See-through so that you can judge how much you have left. Dirt cheep. I buy a mess of them and give them away to my hiking buddies.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25040&clickid=redirect

Just entered grad school and newly married. I know the drill!

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

Thanks-these will definitely come in handy!

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

I appreciate the advice on the clothing, and will be on the lookout for any deals on a Houdini.

I sleep pretty cold, so I understand where you're coming from with the extra layers too!

I got a deal on a Tarptent Contrail, so I'll be using that as my shelter. I know that at almost 2 lbs altogether (stakes, tarptent, floor) it's not as light as a tarp/bivy combo, but I like the idea of having the extra space since it'll let me sleep with my feet propped up on my pack.

I looked at the poncho tarp before, but they were sold out at the time. Now that I have the tarptent though I figure I don't really need it, cool piece of kit though.

Looking at purchasing the following in the next few weeks:

Caldera Keg System
    GoLite 1+ Season Quilt
    Brunton 7DNL Compass
    600 cu in stuff sack for food
    Photon Freedom
    A spoon (ti or bamboo)
    hides sunglass case/retainer
    Bandana (cotton)

Consumables:
    2x 32 oz Gatorade bottles
    Trash compactor bags
    Aquamira drops
    Hand sanitizer (spray, non-alcohol)

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Good score on the Contrail, I've never used one but heard great things and watched one being put up, you'll be happy I'm sure.

And check with your local drugstore, often they have clear red bottles they give away if asked, presumably for folks who want to make certain dangerous meds more obvious. They're perfect for denatured alcohol/Heet fuel. I've got two!

Dug

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Contrails are fantastic tents

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I have not read all the comments, but IMO the best approach is to basically buy a digital scale and start a spreadsheet.

Use limits of 6# for your big 4 and 6# for everything else for 3 season and you will end up with a decent UL base pack. Dont buy anything that does not fit in your plan.

Contrail is a good UL tent.
    Add a UL pack like a miraposa at 24oz and a lighter sub 2# sleeping bag and you should be at or below 6#.

If you want to go SUL then start thinking Zpack 6 oz pack, Nanutuk quilt or golight ultra 20, XS prolight or small neoair, SUL bivy (someone here built one that weighs less than 2.5 oz) maybe a cuben poncho/tarp etc.

IMO getting everything else, cook, water, every day, insul clothing, med etc. into 6# is the hard part.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

YMMV,

but I went up with a friend who used a Golite 1+ season quilt. It was 45*, 4000ft, on a good pad (BAIAC), in a fully closed tarptent double rainbow, sheltered, very little wind. She wore all her clothing, my eVent jacket, windshirt, and she was freezing. We also ate a huge sphaghetti and meat sauce dinner just before bed.

I've never done a long distance hike, but before you buy wind and rain gear, like others have mentioned, I'd have a serious look at the driducks Ultralite 2. For $17 shipped, at 5oz for the jacket (the pants are 4 oz, but others mention they rip easy)… and maybe some duct tape just in case. You can't lose.

I find it breathes just as well as my eVent jacket. I like the way my windshirt looks on me, and love the napolean pocket for maps and my camera, but if I wasn't so vain, I'd ditch both jackets for the driducks and save myself 10 oz and a lot of money if I had to do it over again.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

scott …

women need to add 10F or more to the rating of a quilt/bag … so it was likely a 50F+ quilt for her

the evil master plan dictates that you innocently ask "would ya like to join me in my bag" in the coldest wee hours of the morning when she's shivering ;)

you could wear dri ducks … but ya know ya want the yuppiness of yr spectre =P

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Yeah, I don't know. I just took possession of a Montbell UL Spiral #3 and I "think" I found a winner.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I was going to sleep in my underwear on my balcony when it was -4 (25*) to test it out, but I can't believe how comfortable it was fully cinched up with only my mouth exposed and rolling around.

It wasn't like "oh my god, there it is so roomy it's like sleeping at home" but it was very comfortable and at I "felt" more confident that I'd be warmer. Being 150 lbs, I actually like that it cinchs closer to you when you turtle.

Maybe I'm missing something but I have no idea how some people get down to the temps they claim in a quilt. I can't seem to do it. I guess it's true in that sleep systems are highly personal.

I understand the "down crushed underneath you is wasted" concept, but if you sleep on your side, I'd say only about 30% is crushed. And when you shift to a different position, the parts that were previously crushed will insulate again. Provided you have a good pad underneath you, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

I also couldn't see any difference in functionality when I unzipped my bag and used it as a quilt. Specifically to the Montbell UL Spiral, I was concerned that the bag didn't unzip far enough, but actually it stopped at the perfect spot to use in quilt mode.

I'm 5'7-8" and haven't actually field tested the bag yet though, so no claims on it's warmth ratings/claims.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

scott …

if you were comfortable in open air at -4C … i bet you could hit -10C in a tent with both yr down jackets, sufficient pads and a VBL … ya should try it on yr balcony when temps drop again ;)

quilt? … who knows … i just use my bag as a quilt when it gets warm … for cold temps the ability to imitate a mummy is worth the bit of extra weight IMO … once you seal yrself in yr bag the warmth gets retained better than separate piece i should think

i find it a bit ironic that people worry about the crushed down in bags … yet they sleep wearing their down jackets and pants … not only is a quarter to third the down crushed in this case … but it also limits the heat convection between limbs and the body

now if people truly wanted the most weight effective solution … theyd make a sleeping ball … that way you could sleep in the fetal position all sealed up …

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Good choice on the #3, that was the bag I wanted before I found such a good deal on the Nitro 30. The Nitro also has the compression baffles like the #3, and I really like it to. I'm always a side-sleeper, so a quilt didnt make much sense for me, and for only 5-6oz more, I'd rather have a bag that I know will take me down to 25F or so. I'm a warm sleeper and just sleep in underwear. I dont like the feel of wearing a bunch of clothing to bed, Id rather just have a warmer bag and bring less clothing.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools