Topic

Jetboil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Eidt

@fordman62

Does anyone have a good tasting easy meal that I can do in my Jetboil?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

FACE PALM ANIMATED

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Every meal prepared with a Jetboil will have the bitter taste of it being too heavy a piece of kit.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What do you like to eat?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

first you cant trust a tree hanger, that's just silly… second a jetboil will ruin every thing, and cause plague and/or the wrath of god… and third the above is bs, and as silly as your question… It's a stove cook away! I've seen frying pan accessories so that's an option, and shows its versatility, and to be honest the new version at 9 oz. looks kinda nice, (again don't trust tree hangers or they're canister stove ease ;) search buttons are fun, but elusive like unicorns aparently…
    /rant
    but seriously, your post made my hand hit my forehead…

Darren McClintock
    BPL Member

@darren

The jetboil website has all kinds of recipes by meal. Look under the "out there" tab on their website. Yes, I have a jetboil that I've used for car camping for years and love it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

ANY FBC recipe can be used in a JetBoil as can most one pot recipes (a few don't work or are too big). The JB pot really isn't any different than any other tall/narrow cooking pot – but if you do actual cooking in it DO bring a scrub pad and a narrow hand ;-)

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Anything you want to heat while walking will work best in the jetboil. Tea, coffee, broths, soups, melting snow, etc.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I think you are asking for meal combinations that you actually cook in your Jetboil. I think Sarah is right–the tall, narrow JB pot is a bit hard to clean.

As a point of interest, Mountain House's Pro-Pack meals exactly fit into the JB personal cup. I think maybe the packages were designed for this. So, after adding the water and mixing everything up, squeeze the excess air out and zip the seal on the bag. Then empty out most, or all, of the remaining water, place the Pro Pack in the cup, and put the JB lid back on. This keeps the meal quite warm for a pretty long time. To eat, just open the bag and fold the top over the rim of the pot. Presto–you have a hot meal in a cup with a handle.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ziploc brand freezer bags work the same as well :-) They are tall bags.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Pizza Ramen is easy to put together, but I would go FBC-style and avoid the cleanup. Now that Hormel has bite size pepperoni available it is even easier. Recipe can be found here —

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/pizza-ramen

Tasty!

And don't let the SUL'ers discourage you on the JB. Worth its weight and ease for me. HYOH.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

To add to gary's post, the single servings that HawkVittles sells are good to eat in the bag from a JetBoil cup as well. He has some good choices here: http://hawkvittles.com/

Megan S.

@megslegs

Well, I love my jetboil, and a few other things that will ensure I will never be an ultralighter, but the philosophy of lightening the load to ensure a good experience outside is one I believe in. We discovered Mary Jane food camp meals, which are great because you can burn the packaging as it is thinly waxed paper. After a week outdoors, the garbage weighs up, so not having any is nice.

If you opt for the slightly heavier family-sized pot, you can make things like frybread to go along with a nice bowl of chili. On a cold night, fry bread with a bot of butter tastes incredible.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

The Mary Jane line; how do you cook it? I know it seems like a stupid question but I don't know if it's just add water and ta-da! I use a Keg system to boil water. Does Mary Jane have the just-add-water meals? If so, which ones and how are they?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Nearly all of Mary Jane's meals are freeze dried and require just hot water and a good soak. The pesto fry bread, however, must be fried in a pan. Most everything she makes is quite good, and the portions are huge.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

+1 on the Mary Janes. Quite good – my favorite in the backcountry and the only ones I buy (though they are expensive). Added plus for those who like fires – the bags are made to be burned in the fire. IOW, they're not foil.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

They are more dehydrated than freeze-dried (for example the use of lentils and couscous). Everything is kept small which means the meals rehydrate in 10-15 minutes. The only issue I have found using them is you really need to insulate the bags – unlike the foil/plastic bags most companies use, MJ's bags don't retain heat as well.

And while most of the meals are great don't waste your money on the "beef" meals. All it is is a small bag of organic jerky. Seriously! Not worth the extra money!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I admit this was not what I expected when I clicked on "Mary Jane meals."

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I like the Mary Jane brownies : )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"And while most of the meals are great don't waste your money on the "beef" meals. All it is is a small bag of organic jerky. Seriously! Not worth the extra money!"

Can't comment on the value proposition, but I really like the beef meals. The Shepherd's Pie and the TexMex Beef Casserole are two of my favorite overall meals.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

My issue with the beef ones is you could take the basic meals and add your own shredded jerky for a fraction of the cost. It isn't worth the cost – a regular meal costs $6.75 to 9 from them, but a meat one can be $13.50!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Back in mid-July last summer I reviewed this one:
    http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/07/12/out-on-the-carbon/

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools