Topic

Help on Anza Borrego

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Help on Anza Borrego

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I'm looking for a 2 day loop in Anza Borrego for next week. For me, 2 days typically means 20 hard miles or 40 easy miles. I'm especially fond of areas with x-country potential as opposed to a developed trail up to a peak or something like that. Any desert rats out there with a route for me?

If not then i can always try the CHRT in Joshua Tree or return to Mojave NP.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I still like Indian and Rockhouse Canyons.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Indian Canyon looks interesting. Also looking at Pinyon Ridge, Coyote Canyon. Very hard to find info online about trails, roads, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe the place is pretty well disected by roads? Even a decent trail map is hard to find.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Talk with the fine folks at the visitor center. They keep up on the trail/road conditions. Also look for a copy of Lowell and Diana Lindsay's book The Anza-Borrego Desert Region . The book comes with a basic trail map. They use to sell a black and white topographic map set at the visitor center. Pinyon Ridge and Coyote Canyon are good choices also. Such a large area, with so much to offer.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Thanks Ken, I'll have to stop at REI today and see if they have that book. I saw some of your old posts about Rockhouse, looks like you had a good time. Have you been back there recently? In the post I saw you were still carrying heavy gear.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Adan. I haven't been back there in over 5 years. Use to spend every other weekend doing something there. I have driven and hiked nearly every corner of the park. Thought about buying property in Ranchita at one time too. Love it there. Got married in Culp Valley. Those old picks are from a water caching trip. Was planning on doing the Santa Rosa descent from Toro Peak to Borrego. Didn't quite make it that time. Still game to give it a go though. Would like to see the obelisk on top of Peak 6582. The Rabbit Peak climb is a local classic too. The Pinyon Ridge area is usually pretty quiet. Good views. Wish I was going.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Ken, you feel like going? I'd enjoy having some company.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Hey Adon, if you are interested we have our Bay Area BPL trip in late Feb. in Ventana Wilderness. I know you are from down south but you are welcome to attend. I know Jack is going

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Thanks Ken! But, I'm not from the Bay Area. Would I have to get jumped in or maybe a tattoo on my ass or something? Norteno BPL 13? I do hope to go, being a south-sider and all makes it tough so I'll have to see.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'm kidding of course. Sometimes my sarcasm gets me in trouble so I wanted to make sure I didnt come off as condescending. Thank you Ken for the offer, I would love to attend if I can make it up there. I've seen pics of the last one on the beach somewhere and that water cascade dropped my jaw.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well right now Anza is a 14 hour drive for me. Moved to Humboldt County a while back. You should/must go to Ventana in Feb. I will be making the trip come Hell or high water. Both possible on the drive down.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

How do I stash my water?

I was having trouble finding a big enough loop in AB, everything was in and out trails or peaks. So JT it is. I plan to do a large loop around the core of the park, starting maybe at White Tank and traveling cross-country to the west, then back along the CRHT. Very excited. I'll cache water along the road at a couple places but what's the best way? I certainly dont want to dig or disturb the ground. Should I just place a boulder on a jug, or use a sturdy container and tie it off or something like that? I can swing by and pickup my containers on the way out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools