Topic

Theoretical AT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Theoretical AT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Yup, I'm 16 right now and depending on when I leave I will be turning 18 on the trail. I am planning on doing the JMT this summer to see how far I really can pull in a day, of course there will be LOTS of backpacking between now and the JMT, and more importantly tons before the AT. The plan is to have most of my stuff pretty dialed in before I even start the trail.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

You can shave 2 easy ounces off your ULA Rain Wrap by replacing it with a TrailLite Designs CloudKilt from ZPacks. Joe mentioned to me yesterday that he is planning on offering them in CT2K.08 this coming year as well as the CT3.5K.18 he currently offers them in. A regular in CT2K.08 should weigh 1.01 oz the short should be 0.86 oz.

TrailLite Designs CloudKilt by ZPacks

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Sounds good,

When it comes out I may end up selling my rain wrap on gear swap, hopefully someone will want it.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

So I have just talked to someone who I know to be pretty experienced with thru-hiking (has done the PCT and CDT) and as I believe I have mentioned somewhere I would prefer to hike the PCT as it is one less plane ticket to buy (I live in SoCal and can easily get a ride to the southern terminus), and I will be starting out in familiar terrain.

I will hope to hit the trail running, with 25 mile days right off the bat. I also plan to leave June 1st and hopefully catch up to the herd by kennedy meadows(ish).

So you PCTers, how does this sound as far as timing?

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I've had my Trail Lite Designs Cloud Kilt for a little while now. I'll just say this: get one! The ventilation alone is sweet, the lightness in the pack is sweet, sturdy & excellent craftsmanship, and the black color gives you some modest privacy for the privates when trying to do laundry & don't have extras of things to wash in.

Some missings: (?)
    – bug headnet for Sierras
    – wind jacket
    – Bowie knife (ok, kidding!)
    – headwear (for sun protection or warmth) and also for sleeping
    – insulation piece (like Nano Puff, etc. )

I highly recommend the Patagucci R1 Hoody. Highly highly. I love, nay, am in love with mine. (my PCT list is at http://thf2.wordpress.com/pct-gear-list/ ).

25 mile days straight off for the PCT is ambitious from what I have heard. Most start off 12-15 mile days for a week or so, then acclimate to higher daily miles. But hey, if you're 17-18, maybe you can slam it! :) I'm starting the PCT in late April '11, see you out there!

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Yeah, I am trying to get my local gear shop (I have accumulated like $150 worth of gift cards there over the years) to bring in an R1 so that I can use the cards.

It has been a bit of kit that I have wanted for quite a while.

I won't be going out till 2012 (I got bored on a rainy day and started scheming), so make sure you let me know what I missed out on when you get back!

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

For sure, I'll have a full review :). And if you'd like, follow along, my website address is in my profile as well. I'll be posting updates (videos when I can) from the trail.

Get the Hoody. If your shop carries Patagonia goods, it should be as easy as "Hey, this size, this color ." and it runs slim, not baggy. I wear XL in almost everything, and was true to form w/Hoody size. I can wear a baselayer under it, and a windshell or insulator over ( I'm using the Houdini for windshell, Nano Puff for insulator.

Enjoy the planning, it's been a blast on this end!

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

Lisa, I thru-hiked the AT in 2010 and it was an amazing journey. I went NOBO but the hikes are not all that different. You will be starting in the heat. Yes Maine will be cool especially at night but you will hit NY in just over a month and it will be hot. My son and I hiked that section in July and had triple digit temps. That bring us to water. While I agree you probably do not need 4 liters but you will hit some dry sections if it does not rain. Springs in PA that were flowing in early June were dry in late July. In NJ and PA the rocks are unreal. That was the only pace on the trail I got a blister. My footbeds rubbed the sides of my heal and became painful. I trimmed them and continued to hike. I used only a couple of IB's and nothing else out of my first aid kit until I took a bad fall at Bemis Mountain in Maine. I used every band aid to tape up my shin that a rock shaved to the bone. I picked up additional band aids and hydrogen peroxide in the next town but ended up seeing a doctor when I got home to complete the healing process. Carry some pepto bismol just in case you pick up a water born bug.
    By the time you get to NC and GA the weather will be getting cool again. I was in VA in October and talked with SOBO's I met in Maine and NH. Over night lows were in the 20'. The mid-Atlantic states will have ticks but the worst should be over when you get there. The trails will some what over grown so expect to walk in weeds especially from Duncannon PA into Northern VA.
    As for the 100 mile wilderness I carried 3 1/2 days of food out of Monson. I stopped at the White House (pricey) and ate supper and breakfast. I also picked up a bag of potatoes for one additonal breakfast. The terrain for the first half of the wilderness will be easy but will get harder at White Cap. From there Maine will get progressively harder and unlike western trails the AT is constantly up and down. Many western hikers are surprised by all the elevation change. I averaged 18 plus miles a day and could of topped 20 but the days I hiked into town and spent the rest of the day eating killed my average. Most days were 23 to 28 miles. It makes for a long day but then thats what you are there to do. Hike!

Hope your hike turns ut as sucsessful as mine.

EZ Hiker
    AT 2010

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools