Topic

Theoretical AT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Theoretical AT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

So its rainy in SoCal and well, we don't know what to do with ourselves.

I got bored and decided to make what I think would be the lightest gear list I could come up with for the AT. I will hopefully be hiking it in 2012 so its not all that theoretical, just some of the stuff is out of my price range. I will be most likely Hiking SoBo (Its downhill the whole way right?). I realize that some stuff will be sent home/ bounce boxed/ changed halfway.

Without Further Ado–My (Slightly Theoretical) Gear List:

*Item* *Primary Use* *Weight (oz.)*

Blast 26 Pack ~4.0
    Pack Liner Dryness 1.0

*Sleeping*

6×9 Flat Tarp Shelter 24.0
    TiGoat 6" stakes Holding shelter together 1.5
    EnLIGHTened Epiphany quilt ~20* quilt 14.0
    GG Torsolite sleeping pad 3.5
    Cuben Ground Cloth Ground Cloth 3.4

*Cooking*

Caldera Cone windscreen/reflector 0.95
    CC Stove Stove 0.56
    Firelight 550 SUL Pot 2.21
    BPL spoon eating 0.39
    Fuel Bottle holding fuel 0.5
    Lighter w/ Tape Fire 1.0

*Clothes*

REI Fleece Warmth 11.0
    Cap 3 Bottoms Sleeping 6.0
    Smartwool Top Sleeping 7.5

*Ditty Sack*

Sack Orginization 0.1
    Field Notes Journal 1.0
    Chapstick Chapped Lips 0.25
    Pencil Writing 0.15
    Zebra Light H51 Healamp 3.5

*Water*

1L Platy Water 0.8
    1L Platy Water 0.8
    Smart Water Bottle(1L) Water 0.5
    Smart Water Bottle(1L) Water 0.5

Rain
    DriDucks top Rain jacket 5.0
    ULA Rain Wrap Rain skirt 3.0

Total: 71.01 oz. OR 4Lbs, 7.01 oz.

I feel like I am missing things, so feel free to point them out . Also I am looking for suggestions for something to replace the REI Fleece, maybe the Patagucci R1 Hoody?

For around camp I will be using the quilt in conjunction with the driducks to make a puffy jacket.

I did not include worn clothing because I do not count that in the base layer but it will most likely be a pair of hiking/climbing pants made by Prana and a REI hiking T-shirt.

What an I missing, what could be lighter? I feel like some things will fer sure need to be lighter and some will need to be added.

What Say ye?

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

It seems that depending on what time of year you start you may need more warmth.

I have talked to people who have been fairly marginal with a similar bag and more insulation.

Some people i think use 0 degree bags in the beginning of their hike.

Maybe you want to shove in a mb ul inner and a pair of goosefeet or something, add 2/3s of a pound but add a lot of warmth?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Good call. I havn't really thought about it, like I said I won't be hiking it for a few years and didn't think about what the rating should be. Lets pretend that this is for the warmer months :).

I will add those to the mental gear list, thanks!

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Unless you're starting mid-may NOBO, I would include a puffy jacket with a hood. Temps in the teens aren't uncommon in the higher elevations in the south thru April. After that, you'll need some bug protection; something like an MLD Serenity would be perfect. It could replace your groundsheet and be used in shelters as well as under the tarp, or alone on clear nights.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Yeah, im starting early/mid June SoBo so I will also keep that in mind. Is the bug net something that you eventually send back or do most people keep it the whole way?

As far as puffy Jacket–Would the WM Flash hooded jacket work? Or what would you recomend?

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Hi Jace, the Flash hoody would be perfect, it's really nice piece of gear. A synthetic hoody would be perfect, though the only light ones I knwo of are the BPL Cocoon and the Patagonia Nano Puff. If you can sew or have someone to help you, a ThruHiker kit like the Kinnsman or Kennebec aren't that difficult and can save you alot of money.

As far as the bugnet, if you are starting mid/late June SOBO, you probably need it the whole way, you may be able to send it home in Va. depending on when you arrive and what the temps are like. At the beginning, you'll be dealing with some pretty intense insect pressure. Not just mosquitoes; the black flies are far worse IMO. I would carry a bug bivy or enclosed shelter, headnet, clothing to cover arms and legs that is insect-resistant, and lots of repellent.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've never been on the AT. But I have done a lot of reading of Ray Jardine's stuff and he thinks the ticks can be a major challenge. He has some good stuff in his latest book and in his DVD on avoiding tick bites. He uses a tarp but also sleeps in a net tent that he designed called a Spitfire. His system is well thought out. However his system may or may not work for you.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Would the MLD Bug Bivy work?

I have never really had any experience with massive amounts of bugs (Im a SoCal baby). I will definitely have to do more research on the bug stuff. Thanks for the Heads-up.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm a mid-Atlantic backpacker who was overwhelmed by ticks in May/June (literally whole colonies on our legs and gear) and subsequently grabbed an MLD Superlight bivy (full net hood) to use as my bug shelter under my tarp. I thought it worked perfectly, particularly since the material used for the top part makes a silky sheet for hot and sticky summer nights. It's only 6.5 oz. and keeps all the critters off you.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I'd plan some shake-down hikes. The more the better that way you can better evaluate what you need and what you don't. Plan around some marginal weather so you can evaluate your gear under those conditions.

I'd also not go to an extreme on ultra-light. I see people doing just about anything to scrub an ounce here and there and while it is good practice to manage weight, like anything it can be taken to an extreme. I used to give the opposite advice but times have changed and ultralight has become the "thing" so people need to be reminded in the opposite direction. ;-)

On long hikes people vastly miscalculate gear choices at the beginning of the trip. If you can minimize the big mistakes, you are 90% of the way there. Also be flexible enough to change. Once you get 500 miles under your belt you pretty much know what works and what doesn't for you. A pound or two isn't going to make the difference that most people think either. Most people lose 15-20lbs in the first month of hiking and that is about your pack weight. Keep in mind that people have carried anywhere from 5-35lbs (I'm sure it ranges more than that) for entire thru-hikes. An extra pound isn't going to make or break you. Just make sure it is the right pound.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jace,

I am mostly a summertime hiker. I use a Meteor Bivy and a silnylon tarp. I have not had to use any bug spray or anything else.

Two years ago I had a small problem at Spring Mtn. Shelter north of Hot Springs, NC. I sat down on the picnic table's bench and took a 30 minute nap waiting for my Micropur tablets to do their thing. When I woke up both of my legs were infested with the little beggars. I no longer will tempt fate by sitting on those benches. I believe they lie in wait underneath waiting to pounce. ;-)

Last year after 10 days and 63 miles I was only able to count a total of 3 that managed to join me for a mile or two.

Be advised that on the AT or any trail for that matter you are quite likely to pick up a few uninvited hitchhikers. IMHO it is nothing to worry about just so long as you check regularly for uninvited guests and know how to remove said guest promptly and efficiently.

Party On,

Newton

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

I went south bound from Maine to Harpers Ferry and I never saw a tick. I started in late August and the black fly/tick/skeeter situation highly depends on the time of year and even the yearly bug harvest. I could have hiked the entire way without bug spray or any kind of bug protection that year. Start in the spring and you have an entirely different situation. I would imagine your biggest problem starting early in Maine will be the black flies which will drive you crazy while hiking…bug spray or not.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

You may be able to pull off sleeping on the torsolite for 4 or 5 months, but I think I would want a more comfortable pad.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Off to a good start. Here are some suggestions.

Ditch the 24 oz flat tarp shelter and replace with a lighter silnylon tarp (or cuben if so interested).

+1 on the superlight bivy

Ditch the cuben ground sheet if using bivy. If needed, consider polycryo instead. Cheaper ($8) and lighter.

Consider the MB thermawrap (8.8 oz) or nanopuff (9.8 oz) instead of the fleece.

4 waterbottles seems like too much

Things omitted:
    Camera (might be nice to record your adventure of a lifetime)
    First aid kit
    Toilet items (toothbrush, hand sanitizer, Dr B's)
    Knife or razor
    Spare socks
    Map or guidebook
    Bearbagging items (cuben dry bag, ursacord)
    Guylines for tarp
    Aquamira or water filter
    Bandana
    Emergency firestriker or matches in waterproof case

It would be hard for me to do a thruhike SUL. 7-8 lb would be more reasonable.
    Don't just plan it- make it happen.
    Good luck

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

I didn't carry a first aid kit and most people I knew didn't either.

I also didn't hang food. About the only place I can think of along the AT where it is required is in the Smokies. Even there the shelters are fenced so you can keep food inside the shelter. The bears won't get you but you will find the mice pretty bold.

Water is easy to come by along the AT as are resupply points.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Re: the Tarp: Well that was stupid of me. I was changing things in my current gear list to what I wanted. The tarp I have in mind would be a Cuben tarp, most likley around 6 oz at most.

I did forget to add some things like water purification: Aqua Mira Drops.

You are also right about the water, I am used to desert hiking so I will drop one of those.

I also need to figure out what I am doing about bear protection.

As far as bug netting I am looking at the simblissity bug netting: does anyone have any experience using that with a quilt?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

will that pack carry your gear + 8 days of food to get you through the 100 mile wilderness? you won't be doing 25 mile days that early into your hike, so that stretch will take some time…

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Most of the cages in the smokies have been removed bc people were sleeping with their food.

+1 on leaving first aid at home. Use common sense and leave that dead weight at home.

i think an epiphany quilt would be a little too hot. The vapor barrier might be a little much. 1.75 revelation is probably all you would need especially with the bivy. Actually about to order one myself before he closes for orders after the 31st.

Don't need a pack liner with a Blast. If your worried about the seams leaking toss a little sealer on them.

Oh and hike nobo.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Good call on the pack liner, I have that from my Mariposa.

I hike ~20 mile days usually, the longest I have ever done is ~26 miles. I will plan on about five days. I will not really know how much the pack will have untill I get it and then I will make the call between that and the mariposa.

Regarding the epiphany 2.5, it is what I have and will probably end up using. I can handle a pretty large variation in sleeping warmth so I will probably end up using it.

And I really have no choice but the hike SoBo on the AT. I would prefer to hike NoBo on the PCT but the way that my life works out, it is what I get to do. The reason for that is because I get out of school in the middle of May, and then take a gap year which I will start out with a trail. So SoBo it is on the AT. In my opinion: A trail is a Trail and hiking it will be fun no matter what the trail it.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

you're doing 20 mile days consecutively? 5 20 mile days in a row is different than doing a 20 mile day and then not hiking the next day… i'm just concerned that you're going to have to have a good bit of food in your pack for that stretch. it'll be heavy

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

At 5 lbs base weight he'll be fine doing 20s. Just start early. The 100 mile wilderness isn't tough at all terrain wise. The last 25 or so going into Monson are rough on the ankles but not intolerable.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Mine is as simple as a partial roll of tape and a couple of band aids. (0.5 oz)
    Does double duty for repairs. You guys never get blisters?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Yeah, I'd at least carry something for a first aid kit. Some pain killers, anti-bacterial cream and a few bandaids or tape and gauze. Some long distance hikers don't have anything, and I've often given them some of mine just to prevent infection and the like. Would you really want to have an open wound for a few days as you hike to town? Infection can be a real problem!

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

As far as first aid:

I am thinking Leukotape for blisters, a few bandaids and one or two of the little singe use neosporin packets, I would have one if every few mail drops just so I always have at least one.

Also, I am planning on talking with the Doc (who has been my family doc for years) about getting a prescription for just one or two vicodin in case things get ugly.

And regarding how far I will hike, it is a valid point, and I appreciate it. I think when I did the 26 mile day I had a 10 mile day the next followed by an 18 miler. I will find out how far I realistically can go on the training hikes, they will also show my what I can do with the Blast 26.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Jace, You're a young, fit guy with a light pack and a lot of desire? Is that right?

I bet you could do 30s day in, day out if you wanted to…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools