Topic

thread tension??? I think???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear thread tension??? I think???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I have a oldish singer sewing machine. I am trying to START sewing the thru-hiker down jacket but i can't get the tension on the thread right I think? I had the bottom thread tension ok but the top was pulling right out of the finished stich. After messing with everything now I have a birds nest of thread on the bottom and a loss tread on the top. Besides being mad, I am lost on how to fix it. Can someone help?

Thanks a ton.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

When was the machine last serviced/cleaned? Are you using a brand new needle? Any chance you can set the tensions back to where they were when you started? What size needle and type of thread are you using?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Don't know about last service.

new needle 70/9

guttermans thread

I am just starting sewing it, I was trying to set everything up on scrap fabric.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Is the needle mounted backwards?

Is the bottom and top thread going through the correct tensioning location, that is are they getting no tension?

Try setting the top thread to the middle tension setting.

Sew two pieces of scrap fabric and don't touch it with your hands, sometimes if I feed it with my hands I screw it up.

Have you ever got that machine to sew correctly?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

The flat part on the needle is facing the back. I know its not upside down ;)

Not sure what your second question means

I tried everything from almost no tension to full tension. It has sewn correctly in the past, but I have had more issues with the thread than I haven't. I am also new to sewing very light weight nylons. Not that I am a big seamster, but I have sewn with my moms machine several times in the past and have never had any issues.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Every machine is different, but

On the top, the thread goes between two metal pieces that produce the tension

Occasionally, I don't feed it correctly and the thread goes around the two metal pieces, not through them, so there is zero tension

Maybe that's your problem

You said flat part of needle towards the rear, maybe it should go towards the front?

You probably need to take your machine in for serviceing/lubricating

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I think I will give the servicing a try. I would have to guess that that has never been done. What type of shop do you normally go to for service?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Since it's sunday and you've got time…

Remove the bobin from the carrier.
    Now look for the carrier Release Latch.
    If you find it, release the carrier and remove it. Or just let it swing down.

Now look around in there for cloth lint.
    You may find sizeable "mats of fur" in there.
    And if you do, you've found the issue.

Pull it out. Get the vacuum if you need to.
    Re-assemble.
    Sew on.

Good luck.

Edit: Since I don't have a Singer, this is a WAG. But my machine was a lot happier after I pulled out a Lot of fluff.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

If this link works it will take you to an excellent "how to" article on sewing machines and sewing. It really helped me. I used to have all kinds of thread snarls. Very frustrating.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071215035058/http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

All good answers. Let us know what fixed it.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Make sure the needle is all the way up in the needle holder and make sure it's a new needle or that it's sharp with no burrs. I've been burnt by that a few times.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

The machine just needed a nice cleaning, I took it apart got all the dust and thread out and it is as good as new. Adjusted the tension and I am back in business.

Thanks everyone have a great holiday.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Sorry to revive my old thread, just wanted to thank you guys again for the sewing machine help and show you the finished product. I am pretty happy with the end result, I learned a lot on this first in depth project. As long as I get several good seasons out of it I will be continuing this fun little process of MYOG.Thru-hiker Down Jacket

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Nice looking jacket

It looks like you've been out in a snow storm : )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools