Topic

Montbell on Sale 20% off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montbell on Sale 20% off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Just found 20% off all Montbell at ProLiteGear

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

Locale: Alabama

They look like they are close to what Campsaver pricing was even up to this morning. Sale looks like it is over at Campsaver. It is an attractive sales position from Prolitegear of "we will match anyone's pricing". An attention grabber.

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

Some items of the same name now have new style numbers. Make sure you are aware of the style number transition and that you get what you want from your vendor of choice. MB reflects the new style numbers with a "New" in the picture and generally place their old style numbers in their web special online store front(my observation).

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

Thanks, Just picked up a thremawrap parka.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

interestingly the new Alpine Light Parka shows 0.1 oz more of fill, but weighs 1.5 oz more- same 30 denier material (this is size Men's medium)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

mike … i believe its the shock cord on the bottom

not needed IMO on that jacket … same as the detachability of the hood on the frostline

montbell must have hired a yuppie to "improve" their designs

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

ahh- that would likely explain that :)

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

There is a reference to a center back length in the new styles for the parka/jacket/vest where there is no reference on the older styles. Maybe resolving some complaints that the Alpine Light was too short?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Mike,

Eric is spot on; I contacted Montbell yesterday over the phone and asked about the differences between the '09 and '10 models and the guy I spoke with told me it was only the bottom cinch cord that changed as well as the shell colors. The guy I spoke with also said that the '10 jackets seemed to fit a touch larger than the previous year but only slightly. Personally, I like having a cinch cord waist.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

hmmm- looks like I'm getting an older one- no mention of drawstring hem, yet the one I ordered for my wife does

Eugene- I like a drawstring bottom as well, helps to seal any draft- wish I could sew :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I'm with you, the cinch cord keeps drafts out and minimizes the bellows effect when moving around. I also called up Prolitegear to change a detail in my order over the phone yesterday and the BPL member who works there (I forget his name) said the Alpine Light parkas they were selling for 20% off were the '10 models. Tech specs on the Prolitegear deals should match the MB website specs. If you aren't satisfied with the color or size then Prolitegear can get in contact with MB directly and make changes to your order if you want; that is what I was told.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene- I wonder if it isn't 2010 vs 2011 (instead of 2009 vs 2010)? good to know they are willing to make an exchange if need be

if you ordered a Alpine Light you can bring it w/ you when you come and visit Montana :)

Mike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Mike,

I did pry a little over the phone and the 2011 Alpine Light is going to be much the same as the '10 according to MB. I asked them if they were going to use 15-denier nylon shell in place of the 30-denier currently used and the answer was a resounding NO. Between the EX-Light (7 denier)< UL Inner (15 denier) < Alpine Light (30 denier) they seem to meet a wide range of insulation needs and shell durability/ abrasion resistance amounts.

Sure, I'll take up my Alpine Light under one condition… you take up the cost of airfare to MT. ;-)

I would love to someday hike in MT.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

when I hit the lotto, you got it :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just for a little update- my alpine light arrived, it does have the adj hem drawstring! :)

also I was a little nervous on sizing (was debating between L and XL and ended up ordering a L- my normal size) as I wanted this to be able to go over a base layer, mid layer (R1) and windshirt- it must be cut a little generous as it's perfect- a wee big w/ just a shirt on, but just right for sizing over layers

the alpine light is also cut a little longer in the torso, which is welcome for a coat for cold weather

my ex light is also a size large, but must be cut a little more "athletic"

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

I have the new Alpine Light Down Vest (large). I am 5'9" 157# ~40-41 chest. Notice that the drawcord fits into the pockets which are zippered now (were they not zippered on the old model?). I guess you have to have the cord go somewhere. One feature that I have had on down coats that were longer that I would like on this one is a second drawcord a little higher up so to pull it into the body below the chest but above the stomach. I will have alot of looseness in material if I am not layering over other down/synthetic layers.

I am satisfied.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah I did :) I was adjusting the drawstring and the cord was hanging out w/o the coat on- thinking to myself that's not so good, put the coat and my hands in the pocket and there are the cords (out of the way)- this would be the way to adjust as well- just reach into the pocket

warren- how does the vest fit? I wonder if the vest is possibly cut a little trimmer? I'm 6'0 190 chest 43-44-ish and the large like I said, w/o layers was a little big

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

I have a large in both MB Ex Light and the MB Alpine Light Vest. The Ex Light would not be able to layer over much more than my baselayer (195g/m2 Ibex) and the Patagonia Nano Puff pullover. The vest is a perfect last layer with no arms plus the pockets the others do not have. I am glad for the drawcord in the Alpine Light for sure. I would not be one to just wear the vest over baselayer. It is a loose fit as a single insulation layer.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

ahhh your wearing on top of everything- gotcha :)

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I ordered an Exlite Jacket to replace my Nanopuff.

David Ure

@familyguy

"It is an attractive sales position from Prolitegear of "we will match anyone's pricing". An attention grabber."

So will Campsaver.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@ Mike,

I too picked up an Alpine Light Down parka, the nearly 50% increase in down fill over the UL Inner Parka is a nice boost. I originally ordered a Large from Prolite but was glad I contacted Montbell, they suggested I stick with a Medium, the fit was slightly roomier than my size Medium UL Inner Parka which is exactly what I was hoping for.

How were your baffles in the lower waist region of the parka? Perhaps I'm looking for something that isn't there, but it seemed that the baffles decreased slightly in their down content as I neared the lower waist hem. Is this intentional, perhaps a zoned fill? It's very slight but does seem that some baffles in the upper torso and arms have more down fill in them than others.

Ron McCarthy

@quadster2005

Locale: So Cal

I bought the ul spiral down hugger #3 long for $216. It arrives at my house tomorrow!!!

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Great prices, missed the campsaver sale. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene- just pulled mine out again and I think your correct- very slightly less down on the lower baffles. I'm guessing this is intentional???

I'm definitely glad I stuck w/ large as it comes plenty oversized as is

I'm pretty sure my ex lite will layer under this- I'm hoping I never get to test this out :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools