Topic

4 Days & 36 Miles on the Trail with the BeFree Filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 4 Days & 36 Miles on the Trail with the BeFree Filter

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Three of us recently returned from a 4 day trip in the Emigrant Wilderness in California, which is just North of Yosemite….all of us carrying brand new BeFree Filters.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/16654/

This is a link from a trip that I took to Emigrant Wilderness in 2008….this was a return to Frazier Lakes.

Anyway, wanted to report back on my experience using the BeFree Filter.

I used my BeFree Filter as both a water storage bottle and filter, which was stored on the side pocket of my MLD Exodus with Suspension Upgrade.

I pulled out the water bottle as needed to drink on the go, filtering the dirty water held in the 1 Liter bottle that came with the filter.

Quick Highlights:

1. The plastic cap snapped off the filter on the 2nd date of the trip
    2. The broken cap could be snapped back on but was not secure enough and I worried that it would eventually be lost on the trail, so I removed it
    3. Without the cap water would leak from the output portion of the filter, rendering the filter and bottle useless as water bottle for use on the go
    4. This forced me to filter water at water sources into the Platypus water bottle that I bought for use with my Sawyer mini as a back up in case the BeFree failed
    5. After 4 days of use pushing at least 8 Liters a day through my BeFree filter, the flow was really good, slightly slower than when new, but so much better than my old Sawyer mini. No one in my group had an noticeable decreases in performance with their BeFree filter.
    6. One of the BeFree 1 L bottles was leaking a little bit after 3 days of use, but not sure if it is the wield between the wide mouth top and soft material of the water bottle or the BeFree not able to screw on tightly to create a water proof seal.  Note: one of our bottles started to have an orange discoloration in the plastic bottle material…the “hard” wide mouth top seemed fine.
    7. I brought the Hydrapak Seeker 2L and 3L water bottles for in camp water storage/use. Great bags, wide mouth opening fit the BeFree perfectly. Strong bottles that don’t weight much….no worries about damaging or puncturing the Seeker bottles, if handled with reasonable care.
    8. Seeker bottles being larger were a more convenient to use to maintain the BeFree Filter by vigorously shaking the filter while attached to a partially filled Seeker bottle. Much easier than using the 1 Liter bottle included with the BeFree, but I did not have a problem using the 1 Liter bottle on the trail to shake the filter to maintain it and, hopefully, to keep the flow rate going fast.

Recommendations for improvement:

• Replace the snap top cap with a sport top cap
    • Make the soft bottle material slightly thicker/more durable, like the Seeker bottle, but not as heavy duty like the Seeker bottle, so as to save weight

My opinion & recommendations:

1. The BeFree water filter/bottle is a game changer that should make Sawyer take note and work on version 3.0 of the Sawyer to improve their rate of flow/filtering. (Note: I have been using the Sawyer filter since 2008 in the original “black” inline filter and the mini more recently)
    2. The ease of use and fast filter speed of the BeFree cannot be understated. The wide mouth bottle eliminates the need to carry a scoop with a platypus paired with a Sawyer. The wide mouth is faster to fill the bottle than using a Smart Water bottle. The speed of of filtering is so fast with the BeFree that I have stopped using a hydration tube connected to the Sawyer mini, which was connected to a dirty water bottle to filter on demand. I used this system because squeezing water through the Sawyer was time consuming/slow. I can now quickly and easily filter clean water into a Platypus. For me, hydration system not needed….saves me weight.
    3. The inability to back flush the BeFree like the Sawyer filter creates a little concern for me for use on long trips/thru hikes. Will it be a question of “when” the BeFree clogs up and fails or a matter of “if”??? One can argue that the low weight of the replacement filter means you could easily carry a 2nd one as a back up, but should you have to resort to that if the BeFree was better designed to allow for proper back flushing?
    4. The flip top/cap of the BeFree needs to be replaced with a sport top pull cap. The current flip cap is completely unacceptable and the fact that mine broke on the 2nd day of use is unforgivable. When the cap is broken off, it renders the bottle useless as a means of storing water and drinking on the go. This, in turn, forces you to take along another water bottle to store clean water for drinking on the go. In my case, I was glad that I brought my 1 Liter Platypus with me. Yes, I could have used my 2 Liter or 3 Liter Seeker bottle on the side of my pack, but that would be bulky and frankly, the wrong size bottle for the side pocket of my MLD pack.
    5. Make the soft water bottle material of the included 1 Liter bottle a little more thicker/stronger. Though I did not have any problems with puncturing the water bottle, it does seem a bit thin and I worry about long term durability with repeated use. Again, somewhere in between the thickness of the Seeker water bottle from Hydrapak and the BeFree’s included water bottle.
    6. I love this filter! It solves the major complaints that I had for years with the Sawyer filters. This WILL be my go to filter from now on, despite its short comings. My hope is that Version 1.5 or 2.0 will address my concerns/complaints. Other than being able to back flush the BeFree, I think that it would not be difficult to address the issue of the flip top cap breaking off by simply replacing it with a sport bottle pull top. This is my major suggestion for improvement. Changing the water bottle material to be stronger/thicker is more than a want than absolute need like the sport top is.

Anyway, hope this helps….would be interested in getting other users feed back and experiences listed here.

Tony

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Second trip with my BeFree bottle and filters (I have, and carry, two).

No problem with the filter I used the most, still works almost like new. But the second filter, which I use on a 3L Seeker, for some reason, no longer has much flow. Don’t know why, but will try to figure it out now that I’m back home.

The 3L Seeker developed a pinhole in it, near the top. No idea how that happened, as I only use it in camp to gather water for the night and morning, the rest of the time it’s inside my pack where I don’t carry anything sharp. Will try to repair with tyvek tape.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A dab of Seamgrip will fix that hole.

Too bad they don’t make platy patches anymore.

Thanks Tony.

My Befree gets here tomorrow.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

My BeFree only lasted for about 5 gallons of water before it completely clogged. After a couple days of trying different ways to unclog it, I can now get about 1 drop of water through every 4-5 seconds. To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement. Going back to Sawyer.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I also like BeFree and it has served me well on the first trip so far. I’m a little concerned with reports of them often not passing the “integrity test”. I’ve tried my filter and a couple of times I could blow bubbles into the bottles, but more often I couldn’t. It’s not consistent. This worries me a lot.

Flow rate is great.
    Seeker 2L or 3L bottles are awesome. Skip the 1L that comes with it, don’t even bother. I bring a plastic bottle and 2L Seeker This gives me plenty of capacity for trail and camp. Seeker can also be hanged for gravity fed setup. Seeker also can heat up fast int he sun (if you get dark one).

No problems with the cap yet (3 days 20 miles).

I still bring Sawyer mini just in case though.

Cole B
    BPL Member

@cole-b

Locale: The Edge of the Linville Gorge
    • Replace the snap top cap with a sport top cap

Platypus sport caps will screw directly onto the Befree filter and replace the flip top that comes with it.  They come in two packs online or at many outdoor stores for a few dollars.

Cole B
    BPL Member

@cole-b

Locale: The Edge of the Linville Gorge

I have no idea why the quoted part above is in such a large font.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Same thread as a standard water bottle. Just having tried several just now.

Plan to continue with the soft bottles for dirty and a small rigid one for drinking out of.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Cole,

THANK YOU!

Definitely will get some sport cap replacements ASAP.

I have not “taken apart” my BeFree to see what can be swapped out.

Great to know that there is a solution to this annoying problem.

Tony

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Thanks Cole, I had another post asking what push pull cap would fit. I too was not happy with the cap it came with.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@Ryan – One of my BeFree filters clogged after some silty water. I finally fixed it by soaking it in a mug of warm tap water at home and then some gentle swishing.

@Yuri – it’s supposed to fail the blow test if its dry. You are supposed to test with a saturated filter. Was the filter fully saturated?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Is this what you’re talking about to replace the Flip-Top –

??

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

That works

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My BeFree only lasted for about 5 gallons of water before it completely clogged. After a couple days of trying different ways to unclog it, I can now get about 1 drop of water through every 4-5 seconds. To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement. Going back to Sawyer.

Did you give it plenty of time to rehydrate?  After drying out (e.g., between trips) mine won’t push a single drop through until it’s soaked for a good 10 or 15 minutes.  Then it’s back to its original fast flow.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Todd,

Yes. My first thought was to just get it rehydrated similar to a Sawyer. No luck. Tried warm water, hot water, vinegar, etc etc. I’ve not even put dirty water through it. It’s always been water that was crystal clear. I’m going to try contacting Katadyn, but from what I’ve read they aren’t very helpful.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

@Greg

Yes, that is what I was looking at just this afternoon on Amazon.

However, with the crazy expensive of the shipping, I am considering getting a 1 L Platy bottle from Amazon that has the pull top for $8.95.

Essentially the same cost as buying just the cap, but I get an extra bottle too.

Tony

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Matthew,

yes, the filter was fully saturated. It stayed wet between uses since we tried to carry less and fill up more frequently. It’s strange that sometimes it would let air through and sometimes won’t.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s weird. I check the filter regularly and have only had it fail the blow-test when it’s dry.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

@valshar

Nice writeup. I had a good experience with the BeFree and a 2L Hydrapak on a 4 day trip in August. I don’t drink from the filter directly but instead I

1. fill the 2L hyrdapak with dirty water
    2. attach the BeFree
    3. attach a coupler to the clean end of the BeFree (similar to the sawyer clean coupler)
    4. attach the other end of the coupler to a 1 liter smart water bottle

This worked well for two people carrying 2x 1 liter smart water bottles. Filtering was fast.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I’ve never used a filter. I was impressed with Doug’s BeFree on a trip we did back in August. Since then sooooooo many reports of clogged filters, bag failures, and incompatibility with any other bottle. If one one needs a backup, like CLO2 tablets or mix, might was well skip the filter and use what has worked in the past with zero failures. Glad I didn’t jump on the BeFree bandwagon!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

What are you using Nick?

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Yeah, I’ve only used aquamira with micropur as a backup….I would still carry both on a trip. They have their own set of issues too…which is why I’m always on the lookout for a better water solution and bought a befree…which, I can’t wait to try out.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For ~40 years I used iodine tablets (yes, I know it doesn’t kill crypto). 10 years now using CLO2, mostly tablets and sometimes the drops.

I had been considering a BeFree, but the manufacturer has some serious problems to sort out first. However, the marketing has been genius.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yuri should replace his filter if air can be blown through.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools