Topic

San Diego Wilderness Areas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion San Diego Wilderness Areas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Hey all. Another question for the San Diego folks. By the way, thanks to those who responded to my post looking for San Diego hikers – didn't respond much as I was asking for my brother and he got busy with work. I do appreciate everyone being so friendly though.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting him a couple wilderness area maps as a Christmas gift. What would people recommend? Probably will just get him 2 maps – preferably for wilderness areas within a 2 hour drive of San Diego. I suppose it doesn't have to be wilderness areas – just looking to get him a couple of maps that would be a good resource for day-hiking, backpacking and maybe even some car-camping (although that one is probably less important). I'd appreciate any input that you all have. It'll kinda be a gift for me too since I'm hoping to get out there this summer :)

Also, if anyone knows of any good places to do an overnight in the San Diego area during the 'winter' season that would be good to know also. Thanks very much!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. What about a copy of Jerry Schad's Afoot and Afield in San Diego County?

Jerry has been putting these guidebooks together since the mid 80's at least. Does them for Riverside and LA as well. Also does/did do a weekly hike in the San Diego Reader.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

The San Jacinto Wilderness (the Idyllwild side) is under two hours drive from downtown San Diego, less if you're in North County. Tom Harrison Maps has an excellent map. It's higher elevation, so definitely winter conditions will prevail during the cold months.

The San Gorgonio Wilderness is a bit further, maybe another 30 minutes to get to the Barton Flats area. Again Tom Harrison Maps has a generally excellent map.

Those are the two most montane to alpine, Sierra like areas that I know of in Southern California, but both will be snowy in winter.

For non-snow travel, Anza-Borrego is a good one.

HJ

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Locale: SoCal

Tom Harrision's San Diego Backcountry map has good coverage of San Diego's East county ( Laguna Mtns, Pine Creek Wilderness, McCain Valley, Etc.)I have actually just started looking at trips in these areas that I have overlooked my entire life( I live in the East county). I almost have a four – five day trip put together, that starts at my front door. Definitely not the sierras, but pretty cool areas with good history and good scenery.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Damn, I didn't know there was a Tom Harrison map for San Diego. I wasted my money on some other huge worthless map at the ranger office. Is there anywhere locally that this map can be picked up?

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

REI, Sport Chalet, and A16 usually have them.

HJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools