Topic

Please help. Stumped on MB UL down inner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Please help. Stumped on MB UL down inner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Bottom line: Buy the MB UL Down Inner or not? It will save me ~8oz in my pack, but will I be warm enough in camp? I DON'T want to be cold! I think I run avg. to slightly cold. (I estimate using to about 30*F)

I'm hoping those with experience with this jacket can help with the decision.

I've looked at Richard Nisley's graph but still don't know. For example, I have the MB Alpine Light jacket and know how warm it is. A straight calculation says the down inner theoretically is 71% as warm as the alpine light (1.78/2.51).

But, is that a legitimate calculation to do, and if so, is 71% enough to keep me warm?

In camp I will be wearing a thin merino long sleeve shirt, probably a RailRiders Adventure shirt, the Down Inner, topped with Dri-Ducks jacket. When needed, I'll add a fleece balaclava.

I understand there are numerous variables involved, but still, what is your anecdotal experience – is the MB UL Down Inner warm to about 30*F (if not, what temp have you experienced comfort)?

Thanks so much for reading and helping,

Kent

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

id keep the light alpine down … the weight difference isnt great … and you already have it anyways

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Nothing replaces experimenting on some quick overnight hikes (or the backyard).

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have the MB inner down parka. I plan to use it just like you are asking with similiar clothing. I think the hood will keep me warmer than using a balaclava which I use when walking.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Kent,

My anecdotal experience is that you should find those layers to be warm as an entire system down to 30F. I wear a layering system that is similar and it goes as follows:

Pata Capilene 1 sleeveless T
    BPL Beartooth Merino Hoody
    Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
    Montbell Tachyon Anorak or Marmot Mica

I can sit around a campfire, cook, and chat into the evening for a few hours comfortably with those layers. The down hood worn tight around the head goes far in the warmth dept. for me. But like we all know, comfort and warmth is all subjective.

I say pick up the UL Down Inner because it will serve as an excellent layering piece and like you said, will save 8oz. in the pack and that's considerable IMO. Is the MB UL Down Inner warm alone down to 30F? Probably not much. Is it warm when used in a clothing system? Absolutely.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Eugene, did you size your tachyon anorak to fit over your insulation or under it?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Mike, I wear the Down Inner Parka over a BPL Beartooth hoody and under a rain shell, with a wool watch cap (and occasionally rain pants) and like you am reasonably comfortable at freezing if I'm moving around. If I just sit I start to shiver. I'm quite cold prone, and I think this is about my limit for the Down Inner, a great midlayer but not an all-purpose down jacket.

Richard

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

I also find similar layers at the edge of comfortable around freezing.

Cap 3 Zip Neck
    Long Sleeve REI Sahara Shirt
    UL Down Inner
    Marmot Ion Windshirt

Marmot Thermal Bottoms
    TNF Nylon Pants (pretty thin material)

Slocking Cap

Raul Perez

@watermonkey

I actually just used the MB Down Inner Parka in a recent trip with the first night going low down to 27*F

Used smartwool medium weight top and I was totally fine. Could have gone down to the teens if not lower with just the base layer.

Kent C.

@kent

Thank you to all for taking a couple minutes to help me out.

It sounds like the jacket will be just enough to meet my needs. If I do get cold, I'll just have to hit the sack a bit earlier.

Anyone have an accurate weight on jacket in Men's XL? (All I can find on the 'net is for Medium)

Thanks again,

Kent

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

@ John,

Eugene, did you size your tachyon anorak to fit over your insulation or under it?

Over. But barely. Both jackets are size medium so I can just fit the Tachyon over my MB UL Inner Parka without compressing the down. I should have grabbed a large for backpacking use to have extra wiggle room, but I bring the Tachyon on trail runs and prefer the closer fit of a medium.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

My XL down inner parka (with hood) weighs in at 9.2 oz.

Kent C.

@kent

I took the plunge and bought the Down Inner (under the rationalization that it's my Christmas present!) Already itching for it to arrive so I can play with it!

This is a good community of which to be a member. To all who shared their experiences and weights; Thanks!

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I just used mine in NE Pennsylvania this weekend. In camp it got down to the low 20s-high teens over night. My system-

Pat Cap 3
    Lightweight Terremar Pullover
    MB Down Inner Parka
    MB ThermaWrap Vest
    Fleece Balacalva

I was warm and cozy while many others were complaining the entire time. It is worth every ounce.

Great Purchase. Hope you enjoy it.

PS- If you don't have them yet, pick up a pair of down booties. Best Piece of Gear for the Trip Winner. Amazing.

Have fun

Anonymous
    Inactive

"In camp I will be wearing a thin merino long sleeve shirt, probably a RailRiders Adventure shirt, the Down Inner, topped with Dri-Ducks jacket. When needed, I'll add a fleece balaclava."

If you want to increase your insulation with no weight penalty, consider substituting a Montbell Extremely Light Jacket for the Railriders shirt or the merino LS shirt, depending on what you are using for a day time hiking baselayer. It has a CLO of ~1.62, and I can tell you from experience that it adds a lot of warmth as a second layer, over a Cap 1 LS crew in my case, far more than a merino LS crew. Add a Montbell UL Down Parka and either a windshirt or a Dri Ducks, and you should be good down into the mid 20's at the very least. I know I am, and I'm skinny enough and old enough that I am tending to get cold easier these days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools