Topic

So tell me that I’m not stupid.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion So tell me that I’m not stupid.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Hey Jace,

I'm 18 now, just starting out at the U of O.

When I was 16 I soloed the JMT. And I was planning to do PCT in 2011 but my parents said no.

The AT? Do it bud. Plan it. Be smart. Bring a SPOT to appease the parents (and update when it's clear!). And hike it! I wish my parents would've let me take time off, but that wasn't the case. You've got gold my friend. And if you're ever in CA during summer, let's hike.

Ben

Edit: with the permits, I've always found them to be… well I never had my ID checked! But I echo: Be smart! And like Roger said, try a couple solo trips first. I didn't do that, and learned a few things on my JMT hike, luckily I wasn't slowed by them, but sped up. Try to eliminate surprise by practicing, though.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Also one more thing that I want to bring up is that I have been asked why I say that i want to do one trail over another. The reason is pretty simple. My school gets out in may, so whatever trail I can do I need to leave in June (ish). So I still need to look at it but I don't think that I will be able to do the PCT becuase of that.

Also I hope to be going to college in Oregon so lets hike then!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey Ben:

Go Ducks!

edit: sorry to hijack this thread

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

So I'm starting to plan this hike but I need your help (if you are from SoCal that is)

Do you know of any hikes in Anza that are ~30 mile loop or ~30 mile roundtrip (so in and out)? Preferably without snow but I could manage with a little bit.

Thanks all for the words of wisdom

-Jace

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Check out Rockhouse Canyon and Valley. You could continue up Nicholas Canyon at the end and bag Toro Peak while you're out there.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Hey Jace,

I'm celebrating my 26th anniversary of being 16, bro, and I am stoked you are excited about getting out there! I missed a lot of years in between 16 and now that I could have been on the trail. I encourage you to not get off the trail.

I can only echo much of what has been said here. Itinerary. I still do it. Be prepared. Boy Scout motto, but it is because it's smart.

I'm going to make something up right now: "The more you're smart, the less you're stupid."

Be smart. Plan ahead. Know your gear. Know your personal limits (while still trying to expand them as well). Understand hypothermia acauses and effects, and the dangers of heat stroke. Carry water. Layer. And pray. :)

You seem like a smart kid, go have fun and enjoy the AT before college!

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

But you are probably less experienced than someone older with more time hiking and living in the outdoors under your belt. Your risk level is higher simply because you are young and young people tend to underestimate risk, and overestimate their abilities.

That is just life though. There is no way to gain experience except by doing. The AT is so busy that as long as you go in season you should be more than fine. If my son wanted to do it (he is 17) I'd buy him a pack, help him train and meet him along the trail for a few sections and have no reservations at all.

Winter and transitional seasons are a bigger worry. Leave those solo trips until you have a few more years under your belt.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

This is possibly my new favorite quote.

Also I agree, I know that teens (especially males) have a propensity for underestimating risk. I agree with it and I have found times were halfway through something I underestimated. However I have also found my gut feeling to be pretty good and I tend to listen to it. I would rather do some solo stuff in the summer but the reasons that I am planning my first solo for winter is two fold: 1.) Its SoCal so it never really gets THAT cold or bad and I am going in the desert and 2.) Because I will have a big chunk of time (~6 weeks) were I need to figure out something to do with myself so naturally backpacking is my go-to option. The plan right now is to find a ~20 to 30 mile loop trail/ round trip somewere in SoCal that will not have snow. After I find that I will start planning the details.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Besides Anza Borrego (Spanish for sheep), there is Joshua Tree, and also Death Valley. The highest parts of Death Valley are covered in snow, but the lowest parts are fairly warm and certainly snow-free. Come to think of it, there are bighorn sheep there also. Now is the season when Death Valley gets few visitors. Then it gets busy for March and April. By May or June, the highest parts have melted out.

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

"the more you're smart the less you're stupid"

>This is possibly my new favorite quote.

+1 Nice one, Dug!

Sid Riddle

@shiree

Locale: Southeastern US

Jace,

I was in the exact same spot (geographically opposite though : ) as you two years ago and, was not able to pursue my goal of the AT because of the AP classes that I have chosen to take my senior year.
    As of now I really regret not just graduating early and going for it. Since you have a few years to get experience under your belt and plan for a trip like that you should be set up pretty well for a big hike like that, and I would just advise you to really pursue your most valued goals and not those that others want from you. If you are going to be in the same situation as me; FWIW it would be more beneficial on a transcript to have something like that versus "advanced baby-sitting" classes.

Good luck at Oregon BTW. Sorry if Cam embarrasses them on Jan. 10 though : )

-S.R.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that you probably have year round school and may not have the option to graduate early…sorry for the irrelevant info.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Sid,

Thanks for the comments. I don't have year round high school, we get out in late may. However most of the trails are best started in April/may. The only way that this will work out (if I'm not mistaken) is if I leave in june/july SoBo on the AT. I will also be taking a gap year (hopefully) so that I will have time to complete the trail. I will be living in vermont for 4 months (second semester) and I just realized that I will probably need to begin planning when I get back. From what i have been told it takes about a year to plan?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

It looks like I will be doing the PCT section B (or part of it at least).

I think that it should be fun! Hopefully ~30 miles in 2 days. I am excited as can be, I leave like two weeks after christmas.

Any relatively last minute tips?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools