Topic

Dolomites – Italian Alps 11/2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Dolomites – Italian Alps 11/2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

While I was in Vittorio Veneto on business (~1 hr NW of Venice) I made some time to drive an additional 1.5 hrs into the heart of the Dolomites. The Dolomites really are a special area in the Italian Alps. Dolomite is a white, grey to pink limestone that compose most of the mountains.

It had been raining for the last several weeks in the lowlands, but had turned to snow in the mountains, which get almost to 10,000 ft.

I got great views almost immediately on the drive up, but was aiming for Passo Falzarego.

View of the snow covered peaks

The town of Cortina is in the heart of the Dolomites, and is a big ski town.

Town of Cortina

Mountains near Cortina

I headed NW and really started to gain some altitude with plenty of switchbacks. I quickly hit snow and the roads got a little icy in spots. Not much traffic since it was between the summer and ski seasons.

I got to Passo Falzarego at 2100 m (6,900 ft), and parked at a closed restaraunt/ski area. There were a few cars parked, and I spotted a handful of people that worked their way up the slopes and then skied down since the gondola wasn't running yet. A non-english speaking guy pulled into the parking lot. I decided to follow him since I didn't know what the local rules were. Unfortunately, he pulled on his snowshoes. I hadn't brought mine, so it was hard going post-holing up to my knees and midthigh. That got old quickly!

Passo Falzarego

Gondola

Direction I hiked (postholed)

View back toward Passo Falzarego

Peak at Passo Falzarego

After ~1hr of postholing, I decided to retreat and head for lower elevations. I got down below the treeline and parked at a trailhead that I stumbled across. A older German speaking gentleman was coming out just as I was getting ready to go in. He was carrying a rifle, but after some humorous attempts at communicating with him and some trepidation, I decided to head in.

Forest trail

Views thru the trees

Following deer tracks

The clouds rolled in after a while, and some flakes started floating down. Since I was a bit out of my element and didn't want to get stuck in a snowstorm, I decided I could see more views on the drive back to the hotel.

More views on the way home

More Dolomite

Healthy forest

Italian village in the valley

It was a nice (long) drive as I cut across country through more scenic areas and villages.

These beehives were nestled above teh village, where there must be lots of wildflowers in the spring.

Beehives

Resort village

Although it wasn't the 10-20 mile hiking trip across rugged peaks that I was hoping for, it was a nice time and gave me a glimpse of the Dolomites. Next time I hope to hit the area earlier in the season or bring my snowshoes.

Many thanks to Jonathan, Jens, Arno, and Katharina for helpful tips.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nice pictures! I have been looking forward to your report. Are you living in Switzerland now, for a while?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

No, I'm in PA. I was just in Italy on some business.

scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

Locale: Pennsylvania

Tom,
    Looks like a great region (will have to put on list). I like areas like this in the shoulder-season because less crowds.
    Great report, thanks

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

Nice photos. I want to make it to that part of the world someday.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

I got a chance to hike this range this last summer while I was in Italy on business as well!

It was absolutely gorgeous. I hiked out of Pian Cavallo (sp?). Started at a ski lodge and worked my way through the mountains, absolutely awesome.

I highly recommend these mountains to anybody who gets a chance! :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tom, great pics. I skirted the area last May by train on way to Zurich.. Spent most time in Italy in May around the Tuscany region, no real extensive hiking but spent one entire day riding Vespas thru the Tuscany country side . You have given me an idea to add on for trip summer 2012 daughter, wife and I are planning. Were planning to spend 3-4 days hiking around Cinque Terre, mainly the 5-6 villages in the national park, and a few other nearby Riviera towns. Planning couple weeks, may hit Dolomites, your pics have me thinking. Northern Italy is so beautiful. Thanks for the post!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I hope that you'll be able to see much more than me…I REALLY don't think I did the Dolomites justice. I do expect a TR from this trip of yours now. ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools