Topic

How to bond a cat curve on cuben shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to bond a cat curve on cuben shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Thank you, Dan!
    You saved me a lot of searching :)

Tom Brown

@tzbrown

Lots of really good info in this post.

I have been wanting to make a Cuben tarp for some time, but have been put off by the chance of ruining a bunch of costly fabric.

Looks like with the help available I better get on the stick and get some Cuben.

As all of you fellows have done it before, where should I start for fabric, and what thickness have you found best to use?

Thanks
    TZ

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks! I have been folowing this thread with interest.
    jdm

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I sew 1/2" grosgrain on silnylon for a guyline tieout

Does that work with Cuben?

Better to reinforce with another layer of Cuben, glued to main fabric with 1/2" tape?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I don't suggest sewing. If you do I would suggest sewing your grosgrain to a reinforcement patch using an X box and then bonding your reinforcement patch to the body of your tarp. I use CT2K.08 (.75oz) for the body and two layers of CT5K.18 (1.5oz) for the reinforcement patch. I bond everything together and then use a Military Spec #0 Spur Grommet. This gives you a spot for your trekking pole tips or for really thin cord that could cut the grosgrain. These hold like tree roots.

Mountainfitter paklight cuben fiber ctf3 7'x9' tarp

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Clear picture of grommet, thanks

Do you ever put in a zipper in a Cuben Shelter? How do you do that?

Tom Brown

@tzbrown

Lawson
    Do you do anything additional along the edge of the tarp for reinforcement? The pullout reinforcements appear to be bonded on before the cat cut is done? and then the Grograin and grommet added?. Have you had any durability, abrasion, issues with the CT2K.08?
    Excellent work, Thanks so much for the tutorial and photos.

TZ

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Lawson,

Thanks for taking the time to show how to do it. Very helpful.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I cut the cat curves, cut the reinforcement patches and then bond them 1/2" off the edge, tape and fold the edge and then cut a hole for the #0 spur grommet, and then press everything together. I found its much stronger then sewing since cuben has amazing tear strength. I wouldn't recommend doing this with silnylon or spinnaker but this method works great for cuben.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dan,

I'm really impressed with your cuben fly!

How much does it weigh? Did it replace an existing fly and, if so, what was the weight savings? Did this start out as a store bought tent or did you make everything from scratch?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The cuben fly ended up at ~11oz compared to 23oz for the original fly. The tent is an REI Quarterdome T2 which is 3.6 lbs. I saved 3/4lbs with this fly and another 1/2 lbs with carbon poles.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'm envious.

Daryl

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools