Topic

World’s Lightest Down Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals World’s Lightest Down Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Some lucky BPL'er is now the proud owner of the world's lightest down pants! These are made from 0.51oz cuben fiber, with 3oz of 900 fill down.

The weight is 141.6 grams (4.99 oz) without the stuffsack. With the stuffsack, they are 5.11 oz.

So, this means that 60.1% of the weight is down!

cuben down pants

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Whoa!!!!!!!!!! Those look awesome!

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

The cuben fiber is waterproof, so only the stitches can leak water. am i right?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

That is correct.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Will you be selling these regularly from you site?

If so, any idea on the cost?

And these look awesome

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

The pants look awesome Ben, I can't wait to try them out.

Now I just need a matching jacket :)

Thank you!

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

How did you fill them? With an eductor? That seems extremely difficult to fill.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Ben, are you regularly stocking cuben fiber and 900 FP down as an additional option for all your products?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Ben….Your say, "Some lucky BPL'er is now the proud owner of the world's lightest down pants!"
    What type of price tag are you planning for them?

For comparison purposes for other readers:
    • Goose Feet (yours) are made from 0.51oz cuben fiber, with 3oz of 900 down fill. The weight is 4.99 oz/141.6 g without the stuff sack/.12 oz/3.4 g. With the stuff sack, they are 5.11 oz.
    • My Medium MONTBELL DOWN PANTS are made from 15-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon shell, with 2.0 oz of 800 down fill.
    Their weight is 7.1 oz/201.3 g without the stuff sack/stuff sack .25 oz/7.1 grams. With stuff sack 7.3 oz. PRICE: $150

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Are the pants noisy…like crinkly? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with cuben fiber.
    Cheers,
    jim

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Tyler/Ken – I will not be putting these on my website for right now, I'm not ready for full time production, but I will do them as a custom order. They are $250 shipped.

Ike – I fill all my products using the mesh-over-tube Shop-Vac method. PM me if you need further details.

Konrad – I can source any materials that are available to consumers to make my products out of. I don't necessarily stock everything, though.

Jim – Cuben Fiber is an interesting fabric. It is stiffer than nylon or silnylon, but is not really crinkly. On a noise scale from 1 to 10, I would rate nylon as a 2, silnylon as a 3.5, cuben fiber as a 5, spinnaker as an 8, and the recyclable Sun Chips bags as a 10.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

"recyclable Sun Chips bags as a 10"

loudest material i have ever encountered.

pants look GREAT…wondering if you could shift all the down to the front allowing you to moon the hikers behind you while still keeping the pants on. just a thought.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

rbeard – Yes, that is possible, but I do not endorse this use of the product and cannot be held responsible for any harm that may befall you during this use.

:)

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I will be putting in an order for cuben tomorrow, so if anyone wants to have any input on colors other than white, I need to know. Send me an email at goosefeet AT hotmail DOT com to place an order.

– Ben Smith

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Green or black would be a good color for pants.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

So if the pants are made of cuben and cuben is essentially waterproof, then these pants aren't going to pass water vapor.

If one were to sleep in them, would they act as a vapor barrier?

HJ

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

cuben clothes would be a VBL, unless there were breathable strips/vents

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Today I received my cuben / down pants and they look great.

My intended use of these is at camp and when sleeping for temperatures of 20F to around 0F. Ben was great to work with, and the pants are custom fit. After discussing the pants for a couple days I paid on November 10th and received the pants today the 18th.

Here is a picture of me wearing the pants, I asked for several inches of additional rise so I will get excellent overlap coverage with a jacket on. These may not be the height of fashion, but they are very warm!

cuben down pants 1

Laid out flat and doubled over they measure 5.5-6" which indicates about 1.5" of single layer loft. Ben suggested upgrading to the 900 fill down and I asked that he use a little less. I think the vbl effect provided by the cuben will make these very warm.

cuben down pants 2

The only way air can get in to loft the down is through the needle holes where it is sewn. The pants take a couple minutes to fully loft.

cuben down pants 3

These pants use the .51 cuben which is very strong.

The noise is not a big deal, I don't think they are loud. Quieter than a plastic grocery bag.

Now I just need a matching jacket. :)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Brian:

What is the final weight of the pants? And, if you feel comfortable saying, what was the price?

HJ

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Glad you like them, Brian!

Let me know how they do in the field, and hopefully I can come up with a cuben jacket for you!

– Ben

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Hi Jim, for weight Ben's scale has them at 141.6g (4.99oz), my scale shows 143g (5.04oz). His scale is probably higher quality.

The price was $250 shipped. That is with the .51 cuben and 900 fill down.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Brian:

I'd also like to hear how they do. I'm very very curious about their VBL qualities while sleeping. I'd also like to hear how they feel around camp.

HJ

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

test

I also had these pants made by GooseFeet. Mine weigh in at 5.65 ounces….. The fit is fantastic and they are extremely well made. I had these made for around the camp and to provide extra warmth in my 15 F enLIGHTened quilt when the temps get below 20F.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

those would probably be an awesome pair of boxer shorts too

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Did you ask your wife if your cuben down pants made your butt look big?

Killer pants, Ben is making some great gear.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools