Topic

Backcountry Sat. Phone or SPOT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Backcountry Sat. Phone or SPOT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Abigail Williams

@abigailatsps

I know this post is older and you may have already found a solution but thought I'd share a promotion at http://www.satellitephonesolutions.com. If your troop gets 50 people to enter the contest for a SPOT Connect they will give your troop a free SPOT Connect even if your name is not picked. Good luck in your Scouting adventures!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Every time I read these threads, I wonder how Boy Scouts got to be 100 years old without electronics."

Jim and Joe: I'm with you. And not because I'm some Luddite who thinks synthetic bags and nylon tents were a bad idea. (Although my rule as a 17-year-old JASM and 18-year-old ASM was to remove one battery from all electronics. You brought, you carry it – it's useless now – and I'll return that one battery when we return to the school parking lot.)

But what are the over-arching goals of scouting, ideally? Independence, leadership, and new experiences.

I'm thinking a letter to all parents is in order.

– Around town, parents mostly cook the meals. On Scouting trips, boys cook their own food.

– At home if you're cold, you turn up the thermostat. On a camping trip, you put on a sweater or start a fire or get into your sleeping bag.

– Around town, in 2011, kids check in with their parents, electronically, several times day. On a Scout trip, they don't call or tweet or Facebook for a whole two days. And the parents act like any parent would have in 1997 – no news is good news.

If you want Scouting trips to look just like the rest of their life, why go on Scouting trips?!?

Absolutely no Spot "OK" messages. Even with high functioning, more sophisicated people back home, no news somehow gets morphed into bad news. I've seen it happen. With helicopter parents, it would be a nightmare. So if someone brings a SPOT (I bring mine a lot of places), no parent can know about it or at least no one should offer to send "OK" signals.

Sat Phone? Because one valley doesn't have a 5 bars of cell signal? No, use the money to bring the grubby poor kid to a week of summer camp on a scholarship. Because you're pushing their limits on a remote trip and you want to increase the safety for overweight fathers who come along? Yeah, maybe. But NO daily updates. It's for broken bones (between your shoulders and your knees), core body temps above 104F or below 93F, heart attacks, and strokes.

My infant son died 14 miles from home while I was home with his toddler brother. If I'd known what was happening, I couldn't have effected the outcome. Everyone on the scene did everything they could.

Would the electronics change the outcome? No? Don't use them. Yes? Fine.

Are the electronics only to reassure neurotic parents? They'll just find new things to be neurotic about. Lay down the rules and let them spend their own money on a really good therapist. Have the Troop spend its money on better gear for kids/families who want that experience of being a little independent.

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

Thanks for the continued contributions. Unfortunately, the debate in my committee rages on.

>Posted 11/03/2011 12:55:16 MDT by Bruce Tolley (btolley)
    >To the original poster, what problem are your trying to solve… ?

The ability to communicate reliably in the back country in rough terrain to handle situations that need outside intervention (dangerous weather change, medical/environmental emergencies, drastic change of plans, etc.)

>Posted 11/09/2011 16:42:38 MST by Walter Underwood (wunder)
    >We often think of communications for rescue, but two-way can allow you to avoid
    >rescue. Maybe you resolve the situation there, maybe you self-evac.

That is exactly why I can't get my committee to agree to a SPOT. Maybe I'll start another thread to tell the story of popping the SPOT and getting black helicopters and MP5's… I think two-way communication will be required.

Ironically, we have rented Iridium 9555's 5-6 times now, and never gotten them to work properly in the field. Long satellite acquisition time, dialing long numbers, and other assorted user errors continue to defeat us.

That said, the 9555 is a sweet phone (voice, sms, email, voicemail, etc). I got them to work in my back yard. We just have a major training issue to overcome.

I spoke to BSA national about using their UHF frequencies. They were agreeable, but my committee doesn't think radios are reliable enough in rough terrain. *sigh*

Please keep the debate and comments coming.

acronym 12/14/2011 11:21 PM

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

In regards to Globalstar coverage being spotty, those days are disappearing as they launch their new constellation. They have had two successful launches of six satellites each. They are go for another launch the last week of this month. I am starting to see almost full hours of coverage at times by using the Globalstar call times tool. Of the first 12 satellites only 8 are currently in operational position. The others are still drifing into proper orbit. Once they get the launch up on December 28 and the final one in January expect to see 100% availability again.

Today I purchased a Globalstar phone on their promotional deal of $499 for the phone and $19.99/month unlimited usage for one year. This deal is good only till December 31st. It could possibly be extended but since the availability is increasing dramatically it might not. It is going under our Christmas tree when it arrives next week. Best Wishes to everyone for Happy Holidays and a Great New Year.

David

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Two-way is really important. We helped another Scout group put out a single-tree wildfire in the Sierras. They called it in on their sat phone, then had to keep going because they were evac'ing a sick hiker. By the time a plane flew over to check, we'd knocked down all the smoke and the fire was recorded as a false alarm. It wasn't all the way out, but we had no way to call and tell them to send in a crew with some real fire tools.

http://wunderwood.org/most_casual_observer/2009/08/fighting_a_wildfire_with_milk.html

> I spoke to BSA national about using their UHF frequencies. They were agreeable, but my committee doesn't think radios are reliable enough in rough terrain. *sigh*

I'd agree with that. On our Sierra trek, I could never even hear NOAA weather radio, let alone a VHF repeater. Not even at Emigrant Pass.

That might be worst-case, because that part of the Sierras is north-south valleys, with mountains between you and the plains in each direction. But, no communication.

VHF/UHF works for communication on the trail. We have a local venture crew that only allows splitting up if they have radio communication. They check in every 15 minutes. No contact, the lead group stops and waits. That also encourages the Venturers to get a ham license, because a ham HT has much more range than an FRS radio.

wunder

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Walter: Nice trip report / blog on the boys getting their Firefighting Merit Badge.

You're not supposed to transmit from the ground on aviation frequencies and those handsets with aviation freqs are way more expensive the exact same electronics on maritime freqs, but that would have been a sweet option in this instant – to talk directly to the helicopter and the airplane pilots that flew by. And no one is going to bust you if it is truly an emergency.

Here's one option, the size of an old-style walkie-talkie, I'm guessing 10 ounces. $425.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14807

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

On the topic of two-way radios for those interested:

My experience has been that VHF is more reliable than UHF in the mountains, even on the Amateur Radio bands (yes, I have a license).

My suggestion would be to try and get one of the older (discontinued) Vertex Standard/Yaesu VXA-700 (not the 710) transceivers that has both VHF Airband and the VHF 2m (144-148MHz) Amateur Band in one radio (and get an Amateur Radio license). They can be found used sometimes.

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

It has just been announced that the Soyuz ST24 has taken six 2nd generations satellites successfully into the proper orbit. That now means that Globalstar has 18 of the planned 24 second generation satellites in orbit. There is one more launch planned for next year from Baikonur Cosmodrome. FYI

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools