Topic

The best the east has to offer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips The best the east has to offer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'd like to see your entire gear list. 26-27 pounds sounds very heavy to me.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

can i upload my gearlist directly to this site somehow or do i have to link to it?

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Hold down control and scroll your mouse wheel forward to zoom in. Light colored items are items that im still myoging or haven't recieved yet.
    p1
    p2
    p3

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

@BRIAN yes i am packing the hammock. Im going with the Warbonnet Black Bird, was gonna bring a custom bridge that Grizz @ HF made me, but i don't have an underquilt that will fit it right now. Its sooooooooooo comfy and i prefer it to the WBBB. As far as insulation, i've get a winter yeti and a custom TQ that im making this week. Maccat deluxe spinn tarp.

@OTHERS
    I will definately be able to shave 3-4oz off the fuel weight as i will only be cooking once a day. That 6oz number is from another trip. Unfortunately the GPS was bought for me by a family member and is not removable, as they track my progress online. Yes they've never hiked anywhere and have no idea that the AT is not antarctica. My wife also wants me to have it as I have a 1 year old as well and it makes her feel better knowing that i can push the emergency button and be rescued. So i cant remove that. I can lug an extra pound to keep my family from worrying too much. Bear spray is also there for them, but for me too. I know its just black bears and all that, and i've scared a few off in my day as well, however, i have a son now and think differently than I did before he was born. Maybe someday when you have a child you will be willing to sacrifice 8oz for a chance to see them again if your atttacked by a bear that you could have avoided. For 8oz, it seems like a no brainer. When i first began carrying loads and hiking, i was about 14-15. I never had a load lighter than 40LBS. I dont consider 27LBS to be heavy at all. I never feel the weight in a traiditonal sense of weighing down the shoulders anyway as use an Aarn and dont get any shoulder pressure from it. So i will have 13LBS behind me nad 6LBS in each from pocket, roughly. Makes carrying a load much easier when its properly centered. Think this:

water

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Ike, I've gotta call you out on the electric toothbrush! Not for weight reasons, it's just, well it's just wrong.

Your list makes me realize I need to find a deal on a winter UQ. If you ever decide to abandon the winter yeti in favor of the bridge setup, let me know. Back to the cold, hard ground for me for a few months unless I break down and get one. (This is where you offer me your UQ…)

On the bear spray thing–I was recently knocked flat and bitten by someone's off-leash dog. I didn't get hurt badly and I love dogs, but for a couple seconds there while he was coming at me, I really wished I'd had some spray. I should have used it on the dog's owner who didn't even apologize when he pulled his dog off of me.

Have a great trip.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I see you found my one weakness, the electric toothbrush. I did compromise though and remove an excess plastic covering and unscrew the back portion. However, I love my HARD bristle toothbrush. The harder the better, just don’t feel clean with those soft bristled ones. BTW if you want a discount on a Winter Yeti, im selling it after this trip. Unfortunately my trips are only once or twice a year for now(wife in school, new baby, demanding job) now. For next year i'd like to go lighter with a Cuben from enlightened equipment. 8-9 months will give me plenty of time to save up for it anyway. I will ship it to you for $190 when i return, it will have 5 days use since i bought it just for this trip.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Yeah, I'm just messin with you on the toothbrush. Sort of ;-)

That's a nice offer on the UQ. I have a 3 season yeti now, but I wonder about the 3/4 thing in the winter. I've never used a hammock in the winter, so let me think about this. I have to run out for a while, but I might PM you later if I decide or have questions. Thanks again. And enjoy the hike.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

"I going to be staying in Elizabethton on the 18th then driving to kincora hostel in the morning of the 19th to catch a shuttle from Bob. I assume he will shuttle me and i will pay him, but i haven't been able to get anyone to answer the phone there, will keep trying.."

Ike, Bob at Kincora has a hearing aid so speak clearly when talking to him
    He usually has an answering machine on taking messages

enjoy your hike

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I left a message for Bob, hope to hear from him. In the meantime, does anyone know anybody that will shuttle me from erwin to iron mountain gap?

Thanks

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Ok so i am unable to contact Bob Peoples for shuttle services and i am not familiar or cannot locate any other shuttle services in the area. I need to cut a 10 mile section off of the right section in the image below. I have circled the section i need to cut off. I need a name of where i need to start at in order to finish at Uncle Johnnys, so i can tell Uncle Johnnys where i need to be dropped off. Please also say what i will be missing by excluding that seciton. See below.
    trip

Also, if you guys could speak to the danger of hiking in deer season in this area, i would appreciate it.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Cut the 10 miles off on the north (Dennis Cove) end. It is deer season in TN/NC so I would advise some blaze orange.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Done, i've decided to cut the 10 off you said. Im so excited for this trip! I will do a trip report when i get back.. I will be off work for a few days so i should have time to edit and put it all together. Thank you guys so much. Without your help, i would have never been able to put this trip together on such short notice. I love this site!!!!!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

A few pis from that section to wet your appatite…

Roan Highlands
    Unaka Mountain
    Unaka Mountain

Overmountain Shelter
    Overmountain Shelter
    Roan Highlands 2
    Roan

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Topo 9 (delorme) is showing the mileage for this hike from Walnut Mountain Road to Uncle Johnnys as 44.66 miles. Does that sound right to you Bradford?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The older (~2006) AT guide I have shows it as 57 miles. Uncle Johnnys is at mile 338.7 and you cross Walnut Mountain Road at mile 395.7.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I completed the trip in 3.5 days. The shuttle took me about 20 miles BEFORE jones falls. I was astonished to discover this after i'd been dropped off via my GPS and Uncle Johnny was already gone and i had no cell signal. I realized then i had to book it if i was to make it home in time for thanks giving. It was a great trip, roan mountain was the highlight, everything got moist while sleeping up there at night because the grass was so wet. I saw a meteor shower up there too. Watching them break up into tiny fireballs was great. Four Coyotes also tried to get my food on top of roan as well. I saw a few people, but not many. Mostly hunters with shotguns. I wore my blaze orange tobbagan throughout the trip even when it was 60 because of the frequency of the armed hunters. I also got off trail at one point(so did several other AT thru hikers i spoke with at the same confusing location) and i ran into a young girl maybe 18-19 on a four wheeler recovering a bunch of dead possums she has set traps for the night before. It was strange to see a pretty girl doing such a thing.

I think the total mileage was somewhere around 70 as the original plan estimated. I got about 5 blisters by the end, but none were painful. I never needed my cuben waders but they provided a ton of warmth when worn under icebreaker 200 tights. Without them my feet would have been cold in my hammock for sure.

I had a terrible mishap at one point. I was cooking my lunch in the north carolina game lands on day 3 when a squirrel darted between me and the caldera stove in front of me and made me jump. I kicked the stove over and started a small forest fire about 10 feet by 5 feet. Flames at max about a foot high. I immediately started stomping everything burning. I ended up burning the top layer of mesh off my Roclite 315's, burning up one of my or pl 400 mitts to the point of no return, melting my cuben cozy, losing 3 fbc meals and my beef jerky, and making several pinhole sized burns in my warbonnet yeti winter underquilt. This was the lowlight of my trip and brought my trail spirit down a few notches. I was already watching my food consumption anyway because i planned it carefully. This was also another reason i rushed and got done so early.

I loved the diversity of trail appearance on this hike. At some times such as around Unaka mountain, the trail was almost desert like. Dark gray sand accompanied trees that grew no taller than a few feet and splayed out wide searching for light and moisture. At other times, dense pines dominated the landscape, adding a nice pine scent to the air and beauty to the forest. After Roan the trail took on a rocky appearance as it wound its way around huge deposits of boulders and sparse vegetation. The normal Southern forest appearance that is in most places in Tennessee in Kentucky also made an appearance for long stretches, adding a sense of familiarity to an unfamiliar landscape.

As soon as i got back to my car and Uncle Johnny's i drove to KFC and ate 6 honey BBQ wings, then ate a medium super supreme pizza and bread sticks from pizza hut(across the street). I was in heaven. Its one of my rituals to eat a huge fast food meal after a long hike. Its a motivator during some of those long, repetitive scenery, uneventful stretches that every trail has at some point.

Gear thoughts:
    ***DIY charcoal filter worked great, left only a very faint taste of bleach as compared to the heavily bleach tasting unfiltered water.
    ***Having a pair of nitrile gloves(similar to latex but way stronger) til filter water in so that my gloves dont get wet and my hands dont freeze was absolutely necessary when filtering water in winter, and at 1.7oz, i will never go without them again. Saved my hands from freezing lots of times. Also they double as VBL at night, and work with touchscreen devices as well.
    ***Aarn FF pack left my shoulders with no pain or soreness at all. The staps were floating on top of my shoulders for most of the trip and could be lifted off with a pinky, demonstrating nearly 100% weight distribution to the hips equally across the front and back.
    ***Am going back to using groundhog stakes instead of UL stakes, as two times I had my stakes rip out of the ground. I was in well protected areas as well.
    ***The windshirt/merino baselayer again proved why its the most versatile hiker wear as it successfully handled 99% of the situations I encountered.Also wearing it under my thermawrap at night kept me toasty as well and my thermawrap from absorbing excessive moisture.
    ***The cuben waders were ultimately not used for wading as there was no crossing, they did however keep my legs super warm and toasty all night worn under icebreaker 200wt tights with xstatic liners and darn tough socks on top.
    ***Glad i chose the Roclite 315s instead of 390s as there was no rain or snow at all, everyday was clear and perfect. Plus i dont think i could have covered 20+ miles a day in 390s.
    ***I am going stoveless from now on. Its a fire hazard as well as excessive weight. Adding pesto to any dish makes it taste great IMO, so i see no reason for a stove. I wonder if the weight of carryign nondehydrated food will actually be heavier than carrying mostly dehydrated food and a stove+fuel? I see it as a hassle to cook and also time wasted. Im not that picky on the trail anyway. Just need to find really good lightweight dry food and experiment more with different trail bars/making my own trail treats.
    ***Left the INJIJI toe socks at home and i wish i didn't. They would have prevented 4 out of 5 blisters(one was a heel).

Thanks Bradford for helping me with this trip. I had a great time. I will be doing a youtube video at some point with pics and video of the trip. Keep an eye out for it.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Glad you had a good time on the trip. I hate to hear about your mishap but at least you got it under control before it got bad. Hopefully it didn't damage any of your gear too bad. Thanks for sharing a trip report!

PS- Did you ever figure out why Uncle Johnny's dropped you off in the wrong place? Where did they take you, Dennis Cove?

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools