Topic

Deadman Peaks 50- Continental Divide Trail, Cuba, NM

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Deadman Peaks 50- Continental Divide Trail, Cuba, NM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

This post is atypical of my backpacking adventures in New Mexico, however I felt that the time spent on my feet for this race certainly qualified this Trip Report. On October 23rd, 2010 the inaugural Deadman Peaks 50 Mile ultramarathon was held on the Continental Divide Trail southwest of Cuba, NM. I was fortunate enough to spend a day running the challenging course, picking up trash, and snapping off photos along the way to a successful 50 (54 actual) mile finish. The mesas, sagebrush filled valleys, and sweeping vistas that riddled the course were deceptively challenging as the "trail" sees scarce foot traffic throughout the year mostly attributed to thru-hiker use in the hiking season. Our accomadations the night before the race and post race were less than UL, but I can assure you that my hydration pack was light the day of the race. Enjoy the video account I threw together which can be seen here:

Deadman Peaks 50 ultramarathon- Continental Divide Trail, Cuba, NM

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Eugene,

Just got done watching your video.

Amazing to see things from your perspective in moving pictures and sound.

Makes for a hell of a trip report when you can have video and music.

Makes me wonder how hard it is to do what you did….finishing the grueling race and making your video.

Congrats on all of it and, as usual, appreciate your sharing your adventures.

Take care!

-Tony

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

good video. thanks for sharing.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nice video Eugene.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Great vid!!!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Right on Eugene.
    Nice soundtrack too!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Loved the video and the photos were excellent. I'll bet you'll shave off that two hours easily if you stopped a little less for photos, but then we'll miss out! Congrats on being the youngest finisher.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Congrats.

Great video. Thanks for capturing the event to share with us.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Eugene,
    Thanks for taking the time & energy to record the race & share it with us. I'm still amazed about running 50 miles in that terrain when a marathon is ~26 miles.
    Tom

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Eugene- nice video and a big congrats on your finish!

<– reminder to self not to hike w/ Eugene- 50 miles- whew :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools