Topic

November, Big Sur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips November, Big Sur

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Hanging your food at night would be prudent. There are a few black bears, but there are lots of small mammals.

Since Big Sur is next to the ocean, the overnight temperatures stay more moderate than inland. Still, you need to prepare for freezing or a couple of degrees colder than that. But you won't see +20 F.

One springtime, I was sleeping along the Tassajara Road, and I woke up with frost covering my sleeping bag.

–B.G.–

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I would expect it to be 70 degrees during the day and about 40 degrees or warmer at night. I usually google weather for Paseo Robles and also Gorda Ca. (Gorda is going to be warmer since it's at sea level)
    It can and has snowed on Cone Peak (5,155 feet) but it's rare, Vincente Flat is at 1600 feet so a low elevation.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Weather took a turn for the worse so looks like I will be joining you. I will be leaving the east bay a little after noon on Friday. If anyone is heading in from the area on Friday I would be more than happy to drive.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

leaving Sat. morning with a 10am start time…Kat??? Adon????

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Leaving Friday when I get off work, hopefully earlier than 4pm so that i arrive there by 10pm.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I'll be there Saturday morning around 9:30, ready to go. The 10 am start time was set by Anthony, who is no longer going, so we can do earlier if you all want. Greg, nice to have you along. My daughter might still join, we'll see. I might stay a second night and head to Cone Peak on Sunday, coming back on Monday . I am still trying to figure that out.
    Should be nice weather, cool nights and beautiful views :)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

9:30am is cool!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'm thinking about extending the hike a bit by parking my car further north or south and then someone can pick me up sat morning at my car and bring me to the trailhead. Is everyone coming south on Hwy1 to Kirk Creek Camp? Does anyone have any suggestions on where i could leave my car that i could hike to Sunday and Monday? I need to be back in the car by about 3pm Monday so maybe hiking out to Lopez point from cone peak?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

hey all, I have to work Sat. I won't be able to make it. Have fun! I hate work!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Bummer Ken.
    Adan, I am not sure about other trails and how to come out in a different spot but I will look into it today.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Kat and Adan,

Looks like I'll be changing diapers instead of hiking. I really look forward to our next trip, whenever that is. Given the weather outlook (sunny and clear), I hope you can make it up to Cone Peak.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Ken, is it something I said? ;) Sorry you'll miss it buddy, next time.

Kat, please dont inconvenience yourself, I'll be happy just to be on the trail again.

Casey, we will meet again. enjoy the good times with the little ones, they go by too fast.

Me, dont forget your sleeping bag again dummy!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Sorry guys…I really wish that I could go. I have two open territories and I have buyers that need me in their accounts on Sat. I really need some good outside time and I am bummed…However I have work that needs to be done. Have a wonderful trip folks!

keep in mind snow is now in The Sierra's so snowshoe/cross country skiing will be an option soon, as well as The BPL Hike in Feb.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Can't make this one guy's. I will be in Morro Bay with my wife, we're renting a boat so we can spread her step fathers ashes over the open sea, but I will be hiking up to Jenny Lakes Thanksgiving weekend if any one want's to go your more than welcome to come. Jack

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

removed

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools