Topic

November, Big Sur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips November, Big Sur

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I'm clear that weekend. I'll probably take Monday off if anyone is interested in going one more day. I really just need a simple trail map so I'll pull on up online. thanks Ken! Looking forward to it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I'm there and the Sa. start time works.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

There is parking on the opposite side of the road from
    Kirk Creek Campgound for the Vincente Flats trailhead, room for about 8 cars.

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
    35.99167, -121.49417

From Monterey take Hwy. 1 south aprox. 50 miles to Kirk Creek Campground. You will pass through Carmel, the town of Big Sur and Lucia (8 miles south of Lucia")

From San Luis Obispo take Hwy. 1 north aprox. 65 miles to Kirk Creek Campground. You will pass through Morro Bay, Cayucas, Cambria, San Simeon, Ragged Point and Gorda (8 miles north of Gorda).

The trail starts out with a series of switchbacks and then runs parallel to the ocean. for about 6 miles. I recommend you wear long pants (poison oak),sometimes there are fallen trees across the trail although last year it was clear all the way in.

There is a stream at Vincente Flats with plenty of water most years. I'll stop by the ranger's office an get a fire permit.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Looks like a go for Ken, Adan, Anthony, myself and possibly my daughter. I am looking forward to this.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Kat,
    I'm in town and heading into the hills that weekend. I am looking at redoing the Rae Lakes Loop in a day but I need the weather and snow conditions to cooperate in order to do this. If this looks like it's off then I would love to do another trip with you if there is space.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hey Greg, I hope you get to do the loop; if not it'll be nice to have you on our trip. There is room for you and others if they wish to join.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Greg, not to sound pesimistic, but we have already have had a few early season storms. Not sure what the snow level is or if Hwy 180 is still open or not. I noticed Hwy 120 going through Yosemite is closed for the year. Good luck on your trip! If you decide to join us you are more than welcome to.

Kat, 10am start time?? How many hours is it from where we live to the trailhead???

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Ken,

Kirk Creek Campground is about 2 hours from Santa Cruz. It's right on the coast, a really cool car camping spot.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Casey, I have camped there before..major surf campground place. It has been about 7 years since the last time I have ventured down that far south on Hwy 1. Cool…two hours is not bad at all. Are you going too??

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

join us, i promise not to call you a dirty girl.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Trying to make it, but…
    sfhgfdg

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Congratulations Casey! you must be beaming! If you dont make it on this one then I'll be sure and jump into every stream/lake on your behalf!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You've got to get the little cuties into the backcountry while they are still in ultralightweight size.

–B.G.–

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'm cleared for Monday. I'll drive up Friday night, hike with you guys Sat/Sun and drive back Monday morning.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Congrats Casey! Adon, we will get to hike together this time!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Looking forward to it Ken. I got my CDT and I love it. I will have some cold beers Friday night if you decide to come out early.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

If you all have a place to sleep I will be there…..what is the gameplan for Friday…I get home around 1-2 and could be down there in a few hours….would love to have dome fun!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I think I'm the only planning on being there Friday. And I wont be there until 10pm again so…I dont even know where I'm sleeping. But I will definitely have a few beers before tucking in.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

oops, meant to send it as a PM

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

How about this, I have to go to Vegas for work and will be back on Friday. As of right now, there are spaces available at Kirk Crk. If they are stil there on Friday, then I will reserve a site and let you know???? How does that sound?????

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Sounds good. If i get held up at work I'll let you know so you dont go to the trouble. 10pm is the earliest I can make it, but after a 6hr drive a cold beer will be great!

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to go backpacking with you on 11/13. I sent Kat a message to explain, but in short, my friend is getting married and it looks like I'm going to a Wedding.

I hope you have a good trek.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Unfortunately, I can not make it either–My son has a season ending soccer tournament both Saturday and Sunday. Have a great trip and post some pictures please.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Sorry Anthony and Jay can't make it. I'll be there ready to go Saturday morning, a little before 10 am.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Do folks hang their food up in the Big Sur area? What kind of night temps should one prep for?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools