Topic

Hiker Missing In Cascades Found Alive

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiker Missing In Cascades Found Alive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I believe that Bob's winter ritual appears to be one of the better methods of being prepared should the situation require you to use your equipment and knowledge when lost.

When growing up my father would take me on hiking and backpacking trips. Many of our trail conversations were about survival, scenarios as simple as asking which way was north, where's the nearest water, and where would you spend the night. These little 'scenarios' would keep you thinking on the trail about these things just in case you needed to spend the night out you'd know a good place to do it. I'm confident in going out on solo trips knowing that someone else knows how I think on the trail.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"When growing up my father would take me on hiking and backpacking trips. Many of our trail conversations were about survival, scenarios as simple as asking which way was north, where's the nearest water, and where would you spend the night."

Why don't more parents train their kids that way? Make it as a game, and the kids will learn.

Back in the days when I used to lead a lot of group backpack trips, inevitably we would climb some peak on a layover day. Once all of the stragglers made it up to the top and we were looking out at the horizon, I would pick out the worst-skilled of them and ask them how they would try to get back to camp on their own, if they had to. Some supposed backpackers had zero situational awareness, and if they ever backpacked on their own, I think they might become unfortunate statistics.

Incidentally, probably most of the people present here are summer backpackers or three-season backpackers. Probably only a small percentage do snow camping. I realize that it is not for everybody. However, it is excellent training!

If you have never camped in a few feet of snow, perhaps you could sign up for a snow camping class. Some of it is oriented toward gear (and a lot of us here are gear freaks), but some is oriented toward skills. If you do it right, it is a lot of fun. If you do it wrong, you will still learn a lot the hard way. Beginner-oriented snow camping training is generally one or two evenings of class followed by at least one short trip on the snow, probably with either snowshoes or cross country skis.

–B.G.–

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

here's something worth thinking about ….

States of Mind

This is the key to safety. It’s impossible to know how many climbers were killed by haste or overconfidence, but many survivors will tell you that they somehow lost their good judgement long enough to get hurt. It’s a complex subject and sometimes a touchy one. Nevertheless, at least three states of mind frequently contribute to accidents: ignorance, casualness, and distraction.

Ignorance There is always more to learn, and even the most conscientious climber can get into trouble if unaware of the danger (“I thought it never rained…”). Here are some ways to fight ignorance:

· Look in the mirror. Are you the stubborn type? Do you resist suggestions? Could you be a bit overconfident? (Ask your friends.) Several partners have said of a dead friend, “I wanted to give him advice, but he always got mad when I did that. I didn’t realize he was about to die.”

· Read. The climbing magazines are full of good recommendations. Case histories in the American Alpine Club’s Accidents in North American Mountaineering, a yearly compilation of accident reports, will show you how subtle factors may combine to catch you unaware. Such accounts are the next best (or worse?) thing to being there.

· Practice. Reading may make you aware but not competent. In fact, you can be dangerously misled by what you read, including this report – important details are often left out, the advice may be incorrect, and in the long run you must think and act for yourself. Several climbers, for example, waited to learn Prusiking until it was dark, raining, overhanging and they were actually in trouble. They had read about it, but they had to be rescued despite having the gear to improvise their own solutions. Book-learning alone gave them a complacency that could have proved fatal.

Casualness “I just didn’t take it seriously,” is a common lament. It’s often correct, but it’s more a symptom than a cause – there may be deeper reasons for underestimating your risk. Ignorance is one, and here are some more:

· Habit reinforcement. The more often you get away with risky business the more entrenched your lazy habits become. Have you unconsciously dropped items from your safety checklists since you were a chicken-hearted (or hare-brained) beginner?

· Your attitudes and habits can be reinforced by the experiences (and states of mind) of others. The sense of awe and commitment of the 1960’s is gone from the big-wall trade routes, and young aspirants with no Grade VI’s, or even V’s to their credit speak casually about them. Even for experts, most accidents on El Cap occur on the easier pitches, where their guard is down.

· Memory Decay. “I’m not going up again without raingear – I thought I would die!” A week later this climber had forgotten how scared he had been in that thunderstorm. Raingear was now too heavy and besides, he was sure he’d be able to rap off the next time. Many of us tend to forget the bad parts. We have to be hit again.

· Civilization. With fixed anchors marking the way up and ghetto blasters echoing behind, it may be hard to realize that the potential for trouble is as high in Yosemite as anywhere. Some say the possibility of fast rescue added to their casualness. Maybe, but who wants a broken leg, or worse, in the first place?

Distraction It is caused by whatever takes your mind off your work – anxiety, sore feet, skinny-dippers below – the list is endless. Being in a hurry is one of the most common causes. Here are two ways it has happened:

· Experienced climbers were often hurt after making “beginner errors” (their words) to get somewhere quickly. There was no emergency or panic, but their minds were elsewhere – on a cold beer, a good bivy, or just sick of being on that route for a week. (It’s often called “summit fever.”) Their mistakes were usually short cuts in protecting easy pitches, on both walls and shorter climbs. As one put it, “We were climbing as though we were on top.”

· Darkness had caught two day-climbers for the first time. Unprepared, upset, and off-route, they rushed to get down, arguing with each other about what to do. After several errors, which they knew how to avoid, one died after rappelling off the end of his rope.

An adequate state of mind is like good physical conditioning: it doesn’t happen overnight, and it takes constant practice, but the payoff in both safety and fun is well worth it. Stay aware of your mental state: Are you uneasy before this climb? Learn to recognize that, and ask yourself why, and deal with it. Are you taking shortcuts on this pitch? Could it be you’re distracted? Stop, get your act together, then go.

Rescue Despite the best of attitudes, an accident can happen to anyone. Self-rescue is often the fastest and safest way out, but whether it’s the wise course of action depends on the injury and how well prepared you are. Combining with a nearby party will often give you the margin of safety you need, but do not risk aggravating an injury or getting yourself into a more serious predicament – ask for help if you need it. (Sometimes a bit of advice, delivered by loudspeaker, is all that’s required.) In making your decision, keep an eye on weather and darkness – call for help early.

· If you don’t have formal first aid training (which is strongly recommended), at least know to keep an unconscious patient’s airway open, how to protect a possible broken neck or back, and how to deal with external bleeding and serious blood loss. These procedures are lifesaving, do not require fancy gear, and are easy to learn.

· Head injury victims, even when unconscious, may try to untie themselves. If you have to leave one alone, make escape impossible.

· If ropes are lowered to you from a helicopter for any purpose, do not attach them to your anchors unless you are specifically instructed to do so – if the helicopter has to leave suddenly it could pull you off the wall. If you are told to anchor your rope, rescuers will be using a system that does not expose you to that risk; anchor that rope securely – it may be a rescuer’s lifeline. Follow instructions exactly.

Who Pays for Rescues? The taxpayer does; the NPS does not charge for the cost of rescues, except for any ambulance services required. This is true even if you are fined by the courts for negligence, which is a separate charge altogether (see below). But rescues can be expensive and what the future holds is anybody’s guess. The NPS is examining the possibility of charging all victims for the full cost of their rescues, and partial costs are charged in some parks now. This issue is complex, but it is clear that responsible behavior by those who use the park will minimize the threat.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/sar/climbsafe.htm

Anonymous
    Inactive

"No, but a proper mountaineer can't be caught without some tea."

And Kendall Mint Cake. ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"And Kendall Mint Cake. ;-) "

Yes, Kendall Mint Cake.

If you have a Kendall Mint Cake, you will never run out of food. That is because you can never quite force yourself to eat the darn thing, even in an emergency. The mint flavor is quite powerful.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Oh how I love Kendall Mint Cakes. I loves mint though ;-)

When my MIL goes to England yearly she brings me back a box. That I have to hide from the oldest boy who eats them like air.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I chipped a tooth on a chunk of Kendall's Mint Cake back in 1984, when I stumbled on a rock, on the PCT South of Lake Aloha. I remember that every time I pass that place, as I did at the end of September. I use to buy it at REI, Berkeley. Haven't seen it around for years. My Dentist says it's just as well.

I remember I kept on eating it. Finished both the light and dark bars on a round trip day-hike from Echo Lake to Clyde Lake. I really loved the stuff. I made a pact with myself that I'd only eat it while hiking.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Anyone know why they aren't available in the US? Or where to get them online?

With my sketchy google-fu I can only find places in the UK that seem to limit delivery to the UK!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I have bought them directly from the manufacturer – and they ship to the US :-)

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Thanks, Sarah!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

And oddly enough I got my order in under a week – all the way from England to the PNW. Not bad!

They make minis in clear wrappers that are great for backpacking!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Sarah, I hope that you got a large enough shipment that you can provide them to your customers, at a suitable markup, of course.

I think I had a piece of Kendal drop onto my toe one time. It darn near broke my toe. But it is good stuff.

–B.G.–

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Maybe my google-fu isn't so bad! I just found a recipe for Kendal Mint Cake:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/camp-craft/making-kendall-mint-cake.html

Doesn't look too difficult – just must remember to translate Celsius temps to Fahrenheit!

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools