Topic

If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Mid with bug inner. Much better in the wind and snow than a Rainbow and yet usable for 3 seasons.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

I've owned a few ultralight shelters…

My Six Moon Designs Refuge-X is a cool idea, and only weighs 1 pound, but had many inherent design flaws.

Gossamer Gears Spinn Twinn is nice, although the spinnaker cloth is a bit loud if not pitched tight like a drum. The lack of bug-proof, and the fact that you can't sit up in it (except if you're in just the right position), had me looking for more.

Zpacks Hexamid Twin is by far my favorite shelter…weighs only 10.6oz seam sealed, is large enough for two people, keep critters at bay, and is easy to pitch (and doesn't require a drum tight pitch). By far my top pick.

Hexamid glowing

William Cefalu

@wcefalu

Locale: Louisiana

that's what I am looking at for a single shelter..three season./

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have the Gossamer Gear One, a Six Moons Lunar Duo, an 8×10 flat tarp with a homemade bug net tent. I've used a Squall Classic and seen a cuben Lunar Duo. I've also seen the Moment, the various Tarptents, the various tarps out there, the Gatewood cape.

Of them all, I think the Gossamer Gear One is the one I like the best. I'm sure many of the others would be just as good, but I've never been envious of the others.

The One is roomy and light. I like that there's a large amount of space I can move around in without touching the sides. I can open one or both of the vestibule doors for more air and views. It's a really nice tent.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

my g'mothers name was nellie cefalu. yours is the first ive heard in years.

shelter? 1.1 blackbird with my 11×10 tarp. its a winter tarp, but if i had to chose for one, that would be it. in winter, no need for the bugnet but without it you lose the footbox. so yeah, the bb and a set of my quilts. done deal.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Evolution 2P is the one I use for bad weather.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Tarptent Moment. No. zPacks Hexamid Single. No, wait. Tarptent Moment. Hex Single. Shoot. How can anyone live with just one tent? The Tarptent certainly covers the greatest seasonal variation, but the Hex is so durned LIGHT.

Stargazer

P.S. I've bought and sold many shelters, but the two mentioned above are the ones i kept and the ones I use.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Make that an event bivy for alpine and a shovel

youll survive anything short of everest

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Which is great for anything below 60F.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yet another vote for a Doble Rainbow. I've owned 9 lightweight shelters and ths is the most versatile of the bunch. Rarely do you find a shelter at this weight that is as roomy yet equally adept in cold, windy, wet conditions as it is in hot, humid, buggy conditions. A close second would be some of the pyramid style shelters.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have the Sublite tyvek (summer and light rain – bug proof) and a MLD solomid (heavy rain or no bugs). If I could have just one it would be the Sublite Sil. At 24 ounces, bug proof and $210 with an alcove it looks to me to be the best 3 season with just a chance of snow. If I purchased the bug net for my solomid it would come out the the same weight and less inside space for me plus spending another $100. A tarp with a bivy come out to close in weight and have a more complex setup than a TarpTent.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Or shangri-la3 as it's now known. Big, light, strong, cheap (secondhand).

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Floor-less mid tent with bug netting along perimeter.

golite

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

BPL Stealth NANO Tarp & Alpinlite 2.0 Bug Shelter

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Jay – I suspect you don't get much in the way of driving rain where you trek?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

David, I always bring a umbrella with me but I have been lucky over the years when it come to storms. The mild Sierras–Here's one more option:
    TT Rainshadow 2

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am partial to my Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter and Alpinlite Bug Tent 1.25 combo. It is a shade under 23oz with stakes and guylines (Triptease and a mix of 6" Blue Eastons and Ti Shepherd hooks) I have had this out in the worst weather the Southeast has to offer (well, almost, I have only used it in around 4" of snow) and it has preformed great. Is it perfect? No, it isn't but every shelter choice includes some sort of compromises.

To really answer your question though Andy

-One person or two?

-Do you use trekking poles already?

-Do you often camp where you "need" a freestanding tent? (Tent platforms, etc..)

-Snow (in the southeast I doubt a ton)

Here is my SpinnShelter on an exposed ridge in Grayson Highlandsmt rogers spinn

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools