Topic

If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Looking to purchase a lightweight tent/shelter. If you could only have one tent/shelter what would it be? Mainly 3 season camping, possible an occasional winter trip in good weather. Probally no snow. Mainly North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A tarp. Preferably a large size cuben tarp.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

for 1 or 2 people? Do you like your space or do you not mind a tight squeeze?

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Tarptent Double Rainbow.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I will second the double rainbow

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

DouMid… does it all

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Solo: Hilleberg Unna (with mesh inner option for summer]

In general: Bibler Ahwahnee – best all-around tent ever made.

MIchael MacCormac
    BPL Member

@mmacc

if you go with a tarp get an inner bug net- the southeast is bug country. Other wise go with the tt double rainbow

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Yeah I like my 2010 Double Rainbow. My favorite aspect is it's small footprint. You only need enough space to fit the floor to get a good pitch.

Also, you don't need poles to set-up.
    If you do have poles, it can also be utilized for the tent (rain porch, extra main pole support, freestanding option).

Lots of room for most couples/duos. Solo, it's literally a palace. Nice big duo mesh walls/doors for views and good relations with tent mate.

I"ve only tried two UL tents, so… no expert, but in my limited experience, the ease of set-up and flexibility make it worth the extra pound +/- a few ounces (if even that).

Of course, I wouldn't be adverse to checking out a Cuben version.

Pretty nifty design. Kinda goes well with my OCD.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Cat-cut tarp + bug protection (bug tent or bug bivy).

I currently have 3 shelters and frequent the same areas. These include a BPL Stealth Nano tarp which I combine with a Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy or MLD bug bivy (depending on season) for solo trips, an HMG Echo II system for duo trips in 3+ seasons, and a custom MLD Speed Mid for deeper Winter trips.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

..or some other modular mid.

See, if I could have only ONE shelter then it would have to be usable as a solo shelter or for a group. The Supermid alone isn't ridiculously heavy carried solo (24oz) and it's a palace for two people, and will hold up to four adults- snugly.

Plus, you can get the inner bug netting if you find yourself on the North Slope or something, though in that case I'd limit the group to three adults. And two is better.

It can be pitched with four stakes for most uses, or eight perimeter stakes and four windlines to make it bombproof. It's almost a four season tent- call it 3+, because it works as a great winter (non-mountaineering) tent.

I think 'mids are very versatile.

If you don't want something quite that big then I agree with one of the above posts- the DuoMid is a much handier size. And 12oz in cuben!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

agreed w/ the mid choice for versatility- simply choose the right size from the very small (solomid)- to the larger (supermid)

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

My vote would be for the Gossamer Gear Squall Classic (a cooperative effort with Tarptent) I also own a Tarptent Sublite, MLD Cuben Grace Solo tarp, & a GG SpinnTwinn. The 2 tarps are used with a MLD Superlight Bivy for me & a TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy for my daughter, who frequently accompanies me.
    The reason I would choose the Squall Classic is that I've used it year round with 1 or 2 people. It is very wind/storm/bug worthy & has been in light snow. Its vestibule is very useful for cooking & equipment storage. Many have recommended the Double Rainbow & it has the advantage of 2 vestibules, dual side entry, & more headroom, but weighs a lb. more. Both are easy to set up & the Double Rainbow is modestly less expensive.
    Tarps can be miserable in the Southeast during the summer bug season with anything but a bug bivy & if the tarp is for 2 people, this becomes problematic (during the summer, standard bivies are generally too hot). The lack of "fiddle factor" with the Squall Classic is also appealing to me. For its versatility with 1 or 2 people & the reasons above, it remains my "go to" shelter.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

For your locale and those conditions, probably a Zpacks Hexamid Tent w/ the optional door for winter use.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

My Moss stargazer.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

or maybe a 10×10 flat tarp…. no, the Pyramid. Well, maybe.

Even if I had only one shelter I'd still carry a kitchen tarp here in Southeast Alaska.
    Tarp Camp
    Kitchen  camp

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

For one person? I already have it. Zpacks Hexamid with netting. I haven't found another one person shelter that I'd rather have, except maybe the newer style Hexamid with a beak. For two people I'd want either a SMD Duo or Lightheart Duo, although either one would be nicer in cuben fiber.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I really do like my Double Rainbow for its versatility. If I could find a pyramid type with a floor and some bug netting I would probably do that. The freestanding thing really helps out when things go bad.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

warbonnet blackbird

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Currently using a Scarp 1.0. I'd switch it to a Moment as the Scarp is overkill in the Sierras during Summer and Death Valley during Winter.

John Elbare
    BPL Member

@jelbare

Locale: Florida

I have been real happy with my cloudburst. It is big enough for 2, if necessary, and light enough to serve as a very roomy shelter for one. Good bug proofing and very easy set-up. Very light poles – if you don't use trekking poles. Good ventilation.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

A cuben fiber tarp and a homemade breathable bivy with a lot of mesh. In my experience this is the most versatile shelter setup for NC and VA year-round.

If I had to pick a tent, the Tarptent Moment has worked well for me so far as a solo shelter. Huge amounts of room, quick and easy setup, great protection from the elements.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Cuben fiber, trekking pole supported cat cut tarp or pyramid with a net tent inner.

Examples:
    – HMG Echo I
    – GG SpinnShelter + Alpinlite BugTent 1.25
    – MLD Patrol Shelter + MLD Serenity Inner
    – MLD DuoMid + Inner

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Double Rainbow all the way. Note: you can pitch the rainporches with any sticks that are *at least* long enough, you don't have to have trekking poles.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

If I really had to only have one tent, it wouldn't be a heavy mountaineering tent, nor would be a 1-3 season tarp- it'd be the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It may not be the perfect shelter for every situation imaginable, but it's an excellent jack-of-all-trades.

Weight is low enough that it's reasonable enough for one person to carry, deals well with low temps, sheds light snow, can be made free standing, comfortable and convenient entry/exit, easy to setup and get a tight pitch, has done well for me in wind and sustained rain, reasonably priced, more durable than many of the lighter options, etc. Lots of reasons to love this tent!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools