Topic

Serendipidy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Serendipidy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My mate Yair and I planned a walk on the Victorian Alps.
    The 4 wheel drive road to the trailhead was marked as "closed in winter". So we arrived there 4 days ago (twenty days into Spring) , 4 hours after leaving Melbourne, to discover that it in fact opens the Thursday after a popular horse race (!) is run, and that happens on the first Tue of November.
    BTW the other peculiar thing here is that every trail that is marked (not many , and not often) has a red triangle as the marker. Yeap, they are all the same red triangle…
    Anyway we got the map out looked around and spotted several possible alternatives, one that included two waterfalls .
    So we headed for those.
    Turned out that because of the recent snowfalls and rainfalls we had water available everywhere (very unusual for us) and that not only the waterfalls actually had water but were running at their highest level.
    Spent most of three days wondering around between 1300 and 1600 m (4200'/5200') discovering things , getting temporarily lost and finding our way again with no one else around. . (we had a GPS…)
    Two fabulous nights next to the waterfalls. The second with a spectacular view over a 600m (1960') deep gorge.
    Did a bit over 18km getting out on a very wet and cold morning in just over 3 hours . A big fat burger was very appreciated about 3 hours later after taking a wrong turn on a dirt road…(1 hour detour)
    Franco
    Victorian Alps, Conglomerate Falls
    Conglomerate Falls 1
    Conglomerate Falls 2
    (two Moments , top left corner)

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Hope you were careful rolling out of your Moments for those middle of the night nature calls!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I was about 4 m away from the edge, my mate was less than 2 m but we otherwise had plenty of room behind us. We just enjoyed the view.
    These is another angle of that and the first set of falls, less than 2 miles away.
    Cong  falls
    Pie falls
    Franco
    Photos from my mate Yair Kellner

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Very nice, indeed.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

awesome trip report

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks for your trip report. Maybe some day…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools