Topic

why no reviews on Warbonnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping why no reviews on Warbonnet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am looking up both Warbonnet and Hennessy Hammocks here on Bpl. There is a lot of mention of Warbonnet in the forums, including a few reviews. BPL, on the other hand has a lot of reviews, articles and staff picks, mostly on Hennesy, a couple others, but not a mention that I can find on Warbonnet. What am I missing ?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Josh has one. They seem real popular with those on the east side of the country. I've seen a couple.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I meant to say that BPL staff members have not reviewed or talked about this hammock, whereas there is a lot about Hennessy.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

There may not be many hammock reviews here on bpl, but many on hammock forums.net. Warbonnet has it's own sub-forum in the vendor section. The WBBB was my favorite GE hammock until I came back to ground.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

BackpackGearTest has several reviews.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

Katharina,

I should do a complete "reader review", but I've just never gotten around to it.

I've owned both the HH ULB and the WBBB (actually 2 of each), and I sold the HH's after using the WBBB. In my opinion the WBBB is far superior because: it's lighter, it has a side entry, storage shelf, and it has a far superior tarp (even though you have to buy it separately with the WBBB, I still would want a better tarp than the one that came with my HH ULB's).

As one experienced hanger said to me, "The HH is a very nice hammock to start with, but once you know what you want, you'll find it in a WBBB."

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

If you compare the two hammocks that are capable of carrying the same load, the Hennessy Hyperlight is lighter than the equivalent Warbonnet and this is BPL after all. Somebody at Hammock Forums claimed that since both hammocks are made of similar materials, they actually are capable of holding the same weight, but that's not correct. The method of assembly makes a difference. You have to accept the manufacturer's rating.

If you buy the tarp that converts to a rain cape, the Hennessy gets a lot lighter because the dual use eliminates some rain gear. I find the Hennessy snake skins very convenient. I've had to setup in the rain and they enabled me to have a dry hammock without any trouble.

I'm not sure what the big deal with the side entry is. Frankly, I prefer the stability of the bottom entry, but Hennessy offers a side zipper option on most models now for those who want it.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

haha thats a laugh, calling the Hyperlight and the Blackbird "equivalent"

for one thing – of course the HH is lighter, its 25% smaller

"You have to accept the manufacturer's rating."
    no, i dont.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

those ratings are way more cover your ars then they are failure limits. Construction of gather end hammocks has little to do with the strength of the hammock. Folded, channel (when sewn right), wiped, all are relying on the strength of bunched fabric so the difference in strength of each method is minimal, with channel being different since it is the thread that bears the weight not the fabric, or really the thread that holds the fabric together allowing it to bear weight.

I am 300# and can use a single layer 1.9oz hammock with great comfort and little worry of failure. No manufacturer out there will rate a single layer at 300#, 240-260 is what i have seen. When i start making hammocks i won't be rating my single 1.9 at 300# either but the point is the rating is going to be conservative to cover that ars.

-Tim

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

"You have to accept the manufacturer's rating."
    no, i dont.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you personally have to accept those ratings when you use a product. I meant it's what the law will make you accept should you seek redress for failure of a product. In any event, I think it reasonable to use the numbers that the manufacturer is willing to accept responsibility for when comparing products rather than what some individuals are willing to risk when using the product.

Regarding equivalence:

Perhaps equivalence is a bad choice of words. If you need the extra space, or simply find it offers some utility for you, then feel free to to say you prefer the BB because the Hennessy is too small for you. For me, I have no more need for the larger BB than I would for a two man tent when I'm hiking alone. It is simply extra weight. So both hammocks offer me equivalent utility and one is lighter.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

keith, im just givin ya a poke in the ribs. i had a HH ulba and like it a lot, specially after my zipper mod.

i just think the size of the hyperlight is too tight even for me, so i got the super roomy BB. i own 3, in fact. :)

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Love my Warbonnet Blackbird! I should post a review. I got to the point where I couldn't tolerate the rocks & roots anymore. So, after much research I settled on the most comfortable nights sleep I could find. I found it in the Blackbird. What about the weght? Who cares! This hammock makes me able to carry twice as much the next day. So, thanks to being a long time member of this forum, I save weight on everything else and enjoy my sleep.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

"If you compare the two hammocks that are capable of carrying the same load, the Hennessy Hyperlight is lighter than the equivalent Warbonnet and this is BPL after all."

This was in response to my comment that the WBBB is lighter. Technically, the WBBB does weigh a fraction more. In the interest of getting the facts right:
    – the HHULB (rated for 200lbs) is 1lb 15oz;
    – the WBBB 1.1 (rated for 185lbs) is .5 oz heavier;
    – the WBBB 1.7 (rated for 240lbs) is 5.5 oz heavier.
    BUT, the HHULB is smaller inside, and the tarp provides much less coverage. And once you upgrade the HH tarp (which I think is necessary if you expect any rain heavier than a drizzle), the WBBB IS lighter.

I've owned 2 HHULB and 2 WBBB, and comparing them side by side I like the WBBB better – just an opinion. But the fact is that the WBBB wins on the weight/feature ratio (I guess that is opinion also, depending on what features you find valuable).

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

"- the HHULB (rated for 200lbs) is 1lb 15oz;"

The Ultralight backpacker is not the lightest Hennessy model. That would be the HH Hyper-light backpacker which weighs 1 lb. 10 oz. Also rated for 200 lb.

I've had it in some downpours, like last weekend in the WV Cranberry wilderness when it rained hard, hailed and rained some more. The hammock stayed bone dry inside. Small as that asym tarp is, when it's properly set, the rain would have to be blowing sideways or up even to get into the hammock. I don't see that happening in the forest unless you're imprudent enough to hang on a ridge or at the very edge of the woods.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading the praises of the BB. If I've learned anything from these forums, its that there sure isn't just one way to enjoy backpacking. Happy hiking.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

You're right – I was thinking the ULB was the lightest (forgot about the Hyperlight).

And you're also right about: "If I've learned anything from these forums, its that there sure isn't just one way to enjoy backpacking."

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Locale: OVER YONDER'

WBBB is way more comfortable! I have both.

brandon waddy

@warbonnetguy

I know this is an old thread and I don't get on here much, but i'll comment anyway.

HH lists the hyperlight as 26oz. The single 1.1 blackbird with line/strap suspension is 20 oz plus my asym-diamond fly (7.5)puts it at 27.5oz

So it looks like the HH is 1.5 oz lighter…that's what HH wants you to think…BUT if you read their hammocks catalogue page, you will see that since their tree straps are "complimentary" they aren't included in the listed weight. They're just trying to make all their stuff "appear" lighter than it actually is (IMO). HH doesn't even list the weight of their straps anywhere on their website as far as i can tell, so a customer couldn't even calculate the actual weight if they wanted to. (aside from buying it and weighing it)….shady yes, lighter no.

i'm guessing their straps weigh at least a couple oz, perhaps they're trying to keep it a secret, i don't know. My guess is that the Hyperlight and it's "complimentary" straps weigh at least as much if not a hair more than my setup. It's probably fair to assume they are very very close in weight even though the BB is good up to 6'6" (i've got a happy 6'8" customer), while the hyperlight is rated to nowhere near that, so if you want extra head/foot room at no weight penalty over the hyperlight, consider the BB.

As far as weight limits go, i try to post my weight limits as to what someone will find comfortable. The single layer 1.1 will hold a 600# individual, but i'm not going to rate it at 600#. A 200# individual will experience the same stretch factors in both hammocks (both are 30d ripstop nylon and will have very similar stretch characteristics). If someone is at the upper limit of the hyperlight and finds it comfortable, they will find the single 1.1 Blackbird will support them just as well.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

+1 for the Warbonnet. Been sleeping in it for years. Gave up the Hennessy and NEVER looked back!

M

Michael Moore

@lilricky

I'm not sure why the WBBB is not reviewed by BPL. The only reason I can come up with is that they consider any solo shelter over a pound, "heavy". Thats fine, however I would argue that the WBBB meets the second criteria of BPL, "Be More". It allows me to be more of a hiker, allowing me the energy the next day to hike more, travel more, and have more fun. IMHO.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Plus the HH have been out for 12 years. Not true for Brandon at WB. Plus the HH is a full system. Easier to review. Without getting into netting/no netting, which tarp. etc..

And besides Carol Crocker, I think hammocks are still a black art to those at BPL.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"And besides Carol Crocker I think hammocks are still a black art to those at BPL."

If they only knew…… :)

.—M

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hammocks are their own little niche and UL hammocks are more so, IMHO.

Hennessy's are a little more mainstream— you can walk into REI and buy one off the shelf. I bought an Explorer Zip model as I wanted to try hammock camping and they offer a "complete" system at a reasonable price. As with much gear, I bought it with resale in mind if I didn't like it or wanted to upgrade. I have to admit, that if I had a large UL tarp, I probably would have gone with a different system. I find the Hennessy easy to use and comfortable, of excellent quality and durable. It is not ultralight. I paid $135, which I think was very reasonable.

From everything I have read, the Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks are very highly regarded by experienced hammock users. And there are some who don't care for the footbox feature on the Blackbird. I haven't heard anything negative regarding quality or construction issues.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tim Marshall wrote,

"No manufacturer out there will rate a single layer at 300#"

Au contraire! My response to a weight rating issue on Hammockforums.net:

The whole weight rating thing for hammocks is all over the place. You know good and well that a Hennessy with 210D oxford nylon is capable of more stress and abrasion than the light polyester fabric used in the GTUL [Grand Trunk Ultralight], yet both have the same 250 pound weight rating. You can easily find more examples and a wider range of weights. The Kammock hammocks are rated at 500 pounds, which worries me a little. Clark really dances around the issue with specs like:
    "Max Load: 700 lbs. / 318 kg • Recommended Safety Load: 300 lbs. / 137 kg". The Grand Trunk Nano 7 is 1.7oz fabric and is rated at 300 pounds and a Warbonnet Traveler SL 1.7 is rated for 250. Eno has their SingleNest and DoubleNest and ProNest all rated at 400 pounds. Hammock Bliss seems to have all their hammocks rated at 350 pounds, even the triple.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools