Topic

determining pack weights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion determining pack weights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all
    So people are obviously always trying to lighten there pack load, and I always see people post about pack weights being so many lbs, or under 5lbs or whatever.

I was wondering what is included, and what is left out, when determining this base weight. Do you include food and water? what about the clothes you are wearing? boots? treking poles?

Thanks
    Dan

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Base weight is everything INSIDE or ON your pack, including your pack, but minus food, water, and fuel.

Pack weight is everything inside and on your pack, no matter what it is.

Skin-out weight is EVERYTHING you hit the trailhead with.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

FSO=TRUTH But the baseweight number is always more appealing.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

And leaving out the stuff you carry in your pockets or your camera or your fishing gear (unless you really are leaving those at home) is cheating, IMHO! What's really getting cheated are your knees and feet!

I may have missed some, but I haven't yet seen a sub-5-lb. base weight list that included a camera.

We do tend to focus on base weight because that's the most comparable item, that doesn't change whether we're going for 2 days or 10. The worn or carried part is just as important, though.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Ya I have a spread sheet with all my weights and it includes clothes that I am wearing, fuel, treking poles, things in my pocket, fishing gear, boots and literally EVERY little thing whether in my pack or on me. And I just dont see how its that possible to get some of these weights SO low….but I could see if I left alot of that stuff out it is much more fathomable .

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I do a spreadsheet including everything I will carry including all my clothing, contents of pockets, fuel, water and food. I want to know my total weight not counting my body. My base weight is about 11 lbs but my skin out is about 22 lbs for three days out when temps can get to 30 degrees and 1L of water. I have had to carry 5L before and that makes a huge difference. Preparing for colder weather will change the weight, I usually include wool base layers, down jacket and rain gear to be conservative. My pack is heavy but expremely comfortable. Be carefull to compare apples to apples. IMHO it is everything you carry that is important as far as safety, weight and compfort is concerned. Competition is good to see how low you can go but I use it only to see what works for me. I have been able to reduce many pounds from the past.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"You can't manage what you don't measure"

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=38081&skip_to_post=322423#322423

Go to the second post by Lance Marshall, which compares the gear list of the original poster to one by a BPL staff member. The contrast is especially dramatic here because one list totals 40 pounds while the other totals 12 lbs. By the way, the 12 lb. base weight includes a camera!

This is an excellent technique to see where you can cut weight! In fact, I need to do this again for my own list–I haven't done it for a couple of years.

Marco Seiz

@micky1996

I came across a website(www(dot)travelsideas(dot)com)related to travel accessories and many travel info, which I think useful for you.

Dave N.
    Spectator

@quiet

Locale: Southeastern US

I only ever concern myself with my FSO weight, since that's what I'll be carrying. I have no idea what my base weight is as it's just not that useful a concept to me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools