Topic

Wenatchee National Forest, Enchantments 10/05 – 10/08

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wenatchee National Forest, Enchantments 10/05 – 10/08

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Myronlove Juan

@issyhikerbiker

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I submitted my application in February for four days in the Core Enchantments either in late September or early October. To my surprise, I was granted a permit for 10/5 to 10/8. Woo hoo!
    Enchantments TOPO Map

I first started at Snow Lake trailhead at 1375 feet at 9:00 AM. It was a long climb of 5500 feet and more than 9 hours of hiking, but I was finally at the Core Enhantments and at my camp site at Leprechaun Lake.

Weather was great! Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking. Enjoy!
    Alpine Lakes Wilderness

Sunrise at Leprechaun Lake

Sunrise on Prusik Peak

Trail to Prusik Pass

Mountain goats along trail to Prusik Pass

View over Sprite Lake

Gnome Tarn reflecting Prusik Peak

Lakelets

Isolation Lake

Tranquil Lake

View over Aasgard Pass at 7800 feet

Lake Viviane on the way out

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Awesome. My plan is to go there next weekend, provided the weather holds up. Any signs of snow?

Myronlove Juan

@issyhikerbiker

No snow. It was freezing on the first night, but the next 2 subsequent nights were quite warm (I checked at 38 degrees). The larches were at their peak, so I'm hoping it holds up when you go there next week. Have fun!

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Thats good to know. I think it's going to be a madhouse next weekend – clear weather report, first weekend without permits and possibly last weekend before bad weather.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

And a madhouse it was! There must have been 70+ people on Aasgard pass when I was going up Saturday morning, but fortunately it thinned out up at the top. The weather turned out to be beautiful.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

So why do they call them the Enchantments? ;)

Stephen Adams
    BPL Member

@stevemkedcom

Locale: Northwest

Albert Hale Sylvester discovered, explored, and named, The Enchantments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Hale_Sylvester

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

To make it extra "magical", there are two sets of names up there as well. The official USGS names are one set. A couple went up there (the Starks?) decades ago and named almost every little pond and outcrop with a much more fantasy-themed pen. The place really is amazing and the Stark names seem to fit. I've seen a few maps (and made one myself) that have both sets so it's not so confusing. It's still confusing :)

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

It is correct that pretty much every feature in the Enchantments was named by Peg and Bill Stark and there children during the 40's and 50's. Bill Stark was involved in Sylvester's initial explorations of the area and went on to explore all of both basins in great detail. Bill created a topographical map with the mythological place-names that was sold in Leavenworth alongside the official map until about ten years ago. The Cascade Alpine Guide, volume II by Fred Becky still uses the Stark's names for lakes and features.

I don't recall what the forest service's reasons were for changing the names of some of the lakes. Personally I much prefer, and continue to use, the original names. Of course Peg and Bill were my grandparents so I am probably obligated to have that opinion.

In answer to why they are called the "Enchantments," all of the original non-aboriginal explorers of the area hold to the notion that if you spend much time there you will certainly see magic, an opinion also held by the wilderness ranger who worked there during the 80's and 90's as well as the crew that built the trail up through the Snow Lakes in the 70's (all of whom I know fairly well) I'd say that's been my experience as well.

There is anecdotal evidence that a yearly back-packing trip there supports he health and longevity of a marriage, my grandparents went there every year for over 40 years. I usually make it in for golden week, but I missed it this year due to an injury. I'm planning to ski-through this winter.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

"…and possibly last weekend before bad weather."

Indeed.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Actually, I was being facetious, but your comments made me want to learn more about the history of the Enchantments…thanks for educating me!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools