Topic

New MLD Pack- NEWT- $69

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New MLD Pack- NEWT- $69

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Name one that is 7.75oz.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Zpacks Zero size medium in Dyneema with hydration port option, 5.9 oz. The same pack in silnylon or cuben is around 2 oz.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

1500 ci 5.9 oz 75$
    1" webbing belt 1.4 oz 10$
    lashing 0.5 oz 12$

so to be equivalent to the newt it weights 6.9 oz and costs 97$ … also note that the roll top on the zero is a single string while on the newt is is double webbing

on the other hand you to save 0.8 oz … whoopi!!!

what DOES matter is that you can add a hydration port/pouch, axe books and haul loop as options and additional costs

the newt as it stands is a better deal if you dont need the above … too bad i do

David Ure

@familyguy

Just run the hydration tube out the top. The bag would sit on cloths that you have in the pack. Worked well on an old Arcteryx climbing pack I had that didn't have a hydration port nor side water bottle holders.

Or better yet – order the Burn.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

…to be equivalent to the newt it weights 6.9 oz and costs 97$…you save 0.8 oz … whoopi!!!"

If you read the MLD site, you'll see that the weight of the Newt does not include the lashing or the sternum strap. The lashing adds ~1oz according to MLD so the weight difference is roughly 1.8oz…not 0.8oz.

As you mention, the weight difference appears to be mostly in how the roll top is secured.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Thats one nice looking pack!

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

My Burn never came with an ice ax loop. It says it's standard, but mine never had one. I had to put one on when I noticed there wasn't one. Did others get an ice ax loop as standard?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Many Thanks for all the good feedback.

Based on this feedback we will add a small haul loop between the shoulder straps on all Newts.

We may (or may not) add a hydration port- but only if we can do it without adding much labor and cost- don;t count on it- It's fairly easy on our other packs since the seams are different- We'll need to look at how best to do it on this Newt with very minimal seams without detracting from that feature – Minimal Seams.

Overall, the designs goals were to keep it as simple, durable and maintain very nice shoulder straps – fully padded and mesh lined just like our other packs.

NO plans to make this pack in cuben because it would not be as tough or as inexpensive and would not save more than about 2oz unless we cut features such as full size hardware, straps and shoulder straps cush. Note: The hardware and shoulder straps are about 60% of the total weight.

There are always trade offs…

Note that we can always make a custom Burn pack and leave off whatever on the outside you would like- but it's no price break. Please keep in mind that any feature creep to the Newt would move the price closer to the Burn- that's just economics.

Note that the intro price ended. We were happy to offer that through the BPL forums and MLD FaceBook page for the first 24hrs until we hit our target number. We look forward to initial users feedback.
    newttop

Those first orders will ship within a week and then new orders will be back on the current MLD production wait – about 4 weeks.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

This is unrelated to the Newt, but related to your pack line in general. I would love to see an under-600-gram MLD pack with a functional frame (i.e. firmly attached to hipbelt and to shoulder strap attachments) for truly comfortable hiking with up to 30 lbs (a typical max weight for a ultralight thru-hiker with a big appetite). I understand that this might not be your niche, but I have not yet seen a pack with a good frame in this weight category. The GG Gorilla perhaps comes closest, but the frame is not optimal for transferring weight to the hips. ULA frame packs are great, but substantially heavier.

This is just a wish! I only saw 2 MLD packs on the PCT last year — mine and Lint's :) I think the pack I describe would generate a lot of interest among thru-hikers, who regularly go substantially over 20 lbs of pack weight even if they're ultralight.

David Ure

@familyguy

I like that idea!

By the way, I believe the carbon frame on the ULA OHM and Circuit only weighs 1.5oz.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

Ron,

I like the closure system on this pack. I have an Exodus and would like to add a Burn to my arsenal. Could this closure system be incorporated in the Burn and the rest of the MLD pack line?

Internal frame similar to the ULA Ohm in a Brun or Exodus? Yes please.

Thanks.

Mark

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

We did add a hydration port and a small haul loop. Single HydroPort is right above the shoulder straps in the middle- will post pics later this week on the site- bumped the reg price up $2 to $79 – weight maybe + .3oz in the s/m size.

All orders will have these two features.

We can make any of our packs with a roll top custom option- roll top in all Dyneema- it is +30 and makes the pack non returnable.

On any Non-Newt packs with a optional $50 SUPER Option selected- a roll top is a free option – as all SUPER option are also custom.

Thanks for all your support that lets use make all these packs with so many options.

Thanks,
    Ron

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I almost ordered a Newt. It really got me thinking about adding a SUL pack for shorter UL trips since my 23oz Ohm is overkill for short/light trips.

I mulled it over a lot and ended up going with a medium (1400ci) cuben Zpacks Zero (2.3oz) with water bottle pockets (2 x 0.2oz), waist belt (1.2oz) and the rear mesh pocket (0.7oz). It won't be as durable as the Newt and it cost more, but it's half the weight (4.8oz) and it has all the features I want. I strongly prefer having at least 1 water bottle pocket for my water, alcohol bottle and fishing rod. These things could be stored inside but I'd rather not take the chance with water and alcohol. Just yesterday I got a pin hole leak in my alcohol bottle causing it to leak slowly. I eventually grew suspicious at the smell of alcohol following me around, but not before I had lost several ounces.

A stripped small/med Newt is 8oz, so a med/lrg (+0.5oz??) with the lashing (+1oz) is likely 9.5oz…or basically the same weight as the Burn w/o lashing.

The Newt is a fabulous deal and it makes sense for use like Mike's above and it makes sense for someone really pursuing simplicity (which is awesome) but for regular backpacking it'd be hard not to choose the Burn with water bottle pkts and the large mesh pkt at virtually the same weight.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

HydroPort and Haul Loop picture on the first production run.

Thanks
    Ronnewthydroport

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Thats a very clean and simple hydro port. I like it.

Rob Bouchard
    Spectator

@mrzsasz

That's what I get for waiting until I got paid. Snooze you lose.

Del Johnston

@deljohnston

Locale: Heart of Dixie

Doh! I was just about to mod my Ion. Glad I didn't. Looks like I will be getting a NEWT soon.

@Rob
    …Looks like $79, which includes the water tube port and haul loop.

http://goo.gl/dYUm

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools