Topic

New MLD Pack- NEWT- $69

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New MLD Pack- NEWT- $69

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Announcing the NEWT

New MLD Pack- It's like a stripped down BURN with no pockets.

• 7.75oz stripped
    • 1500ci
    • Roll Top
    • All Dyneema X
    • Nicely padded shoulder straps- same as the BURN
    MLD NEWT

Intro Price of $69 – WIl go up after a small intro amount are sold.

OK to order now- will start shipping in a few weeks.
    mld newt side

We saw that many posters were interested in a small, simple and fairly low priced pack like this – so here it is! Appreciate any feedback on concept, etc.

Of course- if what you really want is a full featured small and light pack- then go for the BURN!

FYI: No custom tweaks will be available on the NEWT.

Many Thanks,
    Ron

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

wow…Ion-killer. Simple and awesome!

I've also been following your facebook…Will there still be a cuben-pack announcement?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I really like that type of closure system Ron. Very weatherproof.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Yes on the new Cuben packs- we just got the new cuben material today- a little latter then planned- and will be final protoyping this week.

First Cuben pack will be an Exodus Size and second one a Burn Size.

Thanks

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I was literally pulling the trigger on the Burn, but now I must know about the cuben burn first :D I'm sure you don't want to give away too many details, but can we expect it to be a full featured pack like the burn? Thanks!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Elegant simplicity Ron, very very nice.

Dave T

@davet

The Ion-killer is right!

Nice work Ron, and good price point. Quality MLD for $69, with a better closure than the Ion, and bungee cords already on it (like many people have to add to the Ion).

This is great. I like.

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow. This is bloody perfect. An Ion killer.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ron,

I feel so honored. ;-)

Go – who, Io – what? It weighs less and is just as "filling".

Party On,

NEWTon :-)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if only it had axes loops and a top strap for a rope ….

Dave T

@davet

Ron,

The Ion came in three lengths. I needed a Long to fit my torso. Does the Newt just come in one length? If so, what do you think about fit for various heights of folks?

Thanks!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The Newt can be order in S/M or M/L.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

No external pockets and no mention of hydration port. How we gonna carry water?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Ya'll must have your sh** DIALED to make money at that price. Very, very, very impressive.

Great design.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

John,

With the drawstring / roll down top closure I believe you could route the drinking tube out through the top drawstring opening and then to either side under the roll down top.

Without a picture of the top closure in the open condition it is hard to tell if this is possible. A simple exit port between the pack straps would be nice.

I would suggest a haul loop be added between the pack straps.

Party On,

Newton

David Ure

@familyguy

"No external pockets and no mention of hydration port. How we gonna carry water?"

You're kidding right? You want all that, then buy the Burn! Heaven forbid you have to open the pack and grab a platypus.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Water storage? Order a shoulder strap water bottle holder from MLD when you order your NEWT pack, problem solved.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Kidding? No..lol. I guess it is that way to make you buy options, but there was no option for a hydration port listed. I won't buy a pack that I have to stop and open up just to take a drink. Even zpacks or the old whisper had either an external pocket or hydration port as an option.

I used to do the shoulder strap water bottle thing, but I only use 1 liter bottles now and don't want 2 lbs hanging off a shoulder strap.

The pack may be used for summit attempts where it can be difficult to stop, open packs, take a sip, repack, close, put pack on.

Just my feedback as OP asked for.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

As Ron stated in his original post "Appreciate any feedback on concept,ect.". Email Ron and tell him what you think:
    1) Hydration port.
    2) Haul Loop.

My Newt is in the mail!

(I have a REI Flash 18 available free to anyone wanting to pay the shipping). :)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

(I have a REI Flash 18 available free to anyone wanting to pay the shipping). :)

PM sent

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

This pack just made me smile… NEWT! Love it. What a great looking ruck you have on your hands Ron.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Looks great and I look forward to the first pimping my Newt MYOG thread.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Seriously- is this a joke? If you want that stuff, get the MLD Burn– it's this pack plus external pockets, hydration port, and ice axe loops.

This is a pack for the kind of people who buy the MLD Burn and then hack off the external pockets, ice axe loops, and top strap to save two ounces. If that isn't you, look elsewhere.

I'm not the target market for this pack… But if I were, I'd love having at least one of those teeny-tiny ice axe loops, preferably two. But that's just me. :) This looks like a great pack for the group it's targeting!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Somebody name all the packs, cottage gear or other, that have no external pockets, no hydration port, and neither as an option?

I would have to search. I'd guess some pocketable daypacks are made with no external pockets and no hydration port, maybe the Montbell pocketable daypack and others like it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools