Topic

NeoAir Length

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir Length

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

At 6'3", can I get away with a regular?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Maybe. It'll depend on how stretched out you are and if your head is resting on stuff that is off the pad.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Stephen,

Here's what I do with a size MEDIUM:

I am 6'1". I put my Montbell pillow on the ground at the head end. I sleep fine this way. If I used the regular, I'd have room to spare.

With the pillow on top of the regular you will sometimes hang off the end by a little. Try to duplicate this at home and determine if you're comfortable. If not, you won't be happy.

Todd

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Thanks for the insights! Just trying to avoid having to get a 25" trekker chair along with an expensive pad…

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

People have used shorty pads for years, ie 48" length… (of course, nearly everyone doing so is significantly taller than 48 inches).

But the Neo is about comfort, I guess. Your head doesn't need to be on the pad. My pillow is typically my shoes, overlaid with a Platy, overlaid with a shirt of some kind. Even as a side sleeper I have plenty of pillow.

Pad fit isn't nearly as critical to have exactly right as sleeping bags or insulating layers. Go for the regular…

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I use short 48" pads and am 6'. I normally do not use much of a pillow even at home. I do have a BPL pillow and CCF pad as well as use my pack under my legs and feet for a system. I sleep on my side or stomach usually. I like the NeoAir at about 60% inflated, just enough to keep me completely off the ground with no bounce.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

I use a Cocoon Air Core pillow so I definitely want my head to be on the pad. It's worth a shot, and would save me $30/5oz!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the thing to keep in mind w/ the Neo is it's pretty thick @ ~ 2.5", so if it's short somewhere- there is a pretty significant drop (vs a lot of ccf and inflatable pads) that might be tough to make up w/ other gear

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

put the pack under r legs … or rope if yr climbing

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

In the past I have used a torso mat with my pack under my legs, but I made a mock up short neoair to try this out and found that the extra drop off put a lot of strain on my back. Instead I ordered a Kooka Bay mat of 60 inches in length, which is long enough for me, as I sleep curled up on my side most of the time.

If you don't put your pillow on your mat, and you are using an air filled pillow like the Mont Bell, aren't you effectively putting your head on an area with an R value of about 1?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

"If you don't put your pillow on your mat, and you are using an air filled pillow like the Mont Bell, aren't you effectively putting your head on an area with an R value of about 1?"

Yeah Jason – I often thought about that, but I've not been cold yet. I know my hat helps, but I have no idea why my head hasn't felt cold!

I've been down to 19* on the Montbell pillow – am very pleased, even if I don't understand it!

Todd

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Maybe its time for me to consider a BA IAC…

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Determine the lowest temp you want to be comfortable in. I am pretty much a long three season but will go to 10k altitude. You can use your pack or a stuff sack with extra clothes in it for an insulated pillow, maybe even extra 1/8 CCF. Kooka Bay may offer a filled pillow also. Your head is an area that can lose much heat, i.e. if your feet are cold put a cap on. If you wear a cap while sleeping that may be enough insulation with the bag and pillow that you will be comfortable. You should probably try out a few things before you make any more purchases. There is a fairly large gap for what is comfortable between different people using identical gear.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use a short NeoAir and I'm about 6'0". I don't find the drop off to be a problem. If you inflate the NeoAir to be rock hard, then yes there is a clear drop off. However, the NeoAir is far more comfortable when it's much less inflated. I like to inflate it so that my hips are just barely off the ground or even slightly bottoming out. I fill it up hard, wait a bit until the air cools, lay on it and then let out air until I can feel my hips start to graze the ground. This lets my body sink into the mattress as much as possible which spreads the weight around over more of your body. With the pad minimally inflated like this, the bottom edge where your legs leave the pad will taper down and you won't have the drop off.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

then throw your pack under your lower legs

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Just as a public service in case this is brought up in a future search…

I bought the NeoAir today and find the length is perfect for me even at 6'3". I use a Cocoon aircore pillow and there's plenty of room for that to fit. The pad is comfortable but on my side my arms are barely on the pad. What Rick said above really makes sense now. I'm going to give the regular a shot and see if I don't mind the width issue. Thanks!

H o

@skandia

I am 6'8" and I use the regular,what I do with the problem with the arms is that I use a short section of thin foam mat,I lay under the neo air like a cross so my arms can lay there,and it doubles as a sitting mat

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Nice comparison, Ken.

As for me, I'm 6-2 and the large Neoair is more than big enough. In fact since I'm mostly a side sleeper a slightly smaller pad works well. I have a Kookabay 72x24x2.5 mummy with synthetic fill that provides ~ R4. Great pad for lots of reasons, specifically vs. the Neoair I prefer the comfort of the vertical baffles on the Kookabay, it's warmer (it feels a little warmer but I haven't noticed any major diff), and several ounces lighter than a large Neo… Bender can make them to any size… food for thought.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jacob,
    What is the weight of your syn fill Kookabay?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

>>What is the weight of your syn fill Kookabay?

19 oz
    (24x72x2.5 mummy)

edited: looks like it is the same weight as a large neoair

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools