Topic

Make Your Own Larabars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Make Your Own Larabars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

PS: I forgot to add – it also gets the cinnamon mixed in as well. No cinnamon bombs…those are always "fun".

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I strongly suspect it depends on the raisins. Raisins bought in bulk that have been sitting in a bin are definitely dryer than packaged raisins. I strongly suspect that the latter won't need "lubrication." Of course they cost more!

Thanks to both of you for the great recipes!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

That's my thought too Mary. I just looked at the Sunmaid Jumbo Raisins I have and they are very moist. They wouldn't need the water at all.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi mary

> Raisins bought in bulk that have been sitting in a bin are definitely dryer than packaged raisins.

Good point. We buy our raisins packaged into 0.5 kg cartons. They are not dry by any means! Sticky!

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I buy organic raisins via Costco – and they are definitely not moist by any means!! They remind me of how dried fruit used to be – before they started messing with it, to make it artificially "moist" and plumped up.

Us PNW peeps might think of the Foster Farm chicken ads to get my drift ;-) "Mamma! Plumpers!"

James Fiedler

@deefeed

Locale: NYC

Thanks, Laurie. You make a good point about using Medjool-type dates that I forgot to mention in my original post. Haven't tried the other variety you mention. By the way, I used Oasis brand, which you can purchase online at http://oasisdategardens.com, but I found them for cheaper at a local store.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Roger… Just for the record… I did a raisin and nut rinse at the volumes in Sarah's recipe last night. My gut instinct and experience told me that the 1/2 teaspoon was a mere guesstimate so I measured the water first. Then I rinsed using a sieve with a large bowl under it. I lost much more than 1/2 teaspoon to the fruit and nuts. It was almost 3 tablespoons… that's why I feel it would be an issue when it comes to the chance of mould forming on the bars.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Dan… That's what I use, Oasis. They seem to be the best – nice and moist, full of good flavor. Baking dates are nasty, dried up things compressed into a block. Often they aren't pitted and soaking in water would be necessary. I also avoid cheap bulk store fruit for this type of application as it is often too dry or has crystals starting to form. The over dry issue is often common with the blueberries too – so I buy ones that are sealed in a bag or make my own. With the expense of dried blueberries, the bulk ones often don't have a high turnover rate and the quality can be poor.

I do have a gorgeous box of dates my friend brought me from her trip to the Mediterranean but they are far too lovely to grind up.

One other thing I like to do is stuff an almond in a whole date and dip it in chocolate.

Edited to add… I did find a really great bag of No Name brand dates (from a company up here called Loblaws). The staff at the store were just putting them on the shelf and they were very soft and fresh and a little less expensive than Oasis. That said, Oasis is still the best in my opinion.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I am sorry if constructive criticism bothers you Sarah. It was not meant to offend… merely that it would be a great shame if someone went to the trouble and expense to make these only to have them get furry and spoil on the trail. I know that I would appreciate the feedback with my own recipe.

Mary had the same thoughts as I did about the quality of the fruit vs the need for water.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

When I was about 12, Reader's Digest printed a no-cook peanut butter cookie. It was equal amounts of PB, honey, and powdered milk mixed in a bowl and then rolled into balls or bars on waxed paper. Optional rolling in shredded coconut or chopped nuts was suggested.

Now-a-days, as a vegan, I substitute Flax Meal for the powdered milk. Works very well. I often add dashes of the following: cinnamon, cocoa powder, vanilla, almond, or lemon extract.

I call it Glop. Lasts a good long time on the trail if I mix it up the night before and bag it.

Sorry no photos, but it is so good, it doesn't last as long as a shutter blink!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I'll have to try that one for my son. He'd love it. I do a flax ball for the trail that is good.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools