Topic

8g WeenieBiner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping 8g WeenieBiner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Has anyone here tried out the Edelrid 8g Micro 3 Carabiner for hammock suspension? They are rated at 400kg and the price is right. A 12g version rated at 650kg is also available.

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Accessories/Hooks/Carabiner/Micro-3-Carabiner-62mm::895.html

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Bender – Have you looked on HF for people using them. I know that there have been a few discussions involving them and a handful of people that have hung from them. At 8g or 12g they sound like a nice addition to your suspension system. Its a shame that they are not available locally or are in stock anywhere.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Isn't that pretty much the same as the CAMP Nano 23?

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/carabiners/nano-23-orange-118903.asp

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

The Micro 3 Edelrid is 1/3 the weight of the Nano 23. The Nano 23 is the lightest climbing spec carabiner. These are non climbing biners with a 400kg rating. FYI the nano 23 is rated to 20kn which equates to 2045kg! My 32g Mad Rock carabiners would be rated even higher at 2557kg.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

typing while bender was posting. Same answer as above!

Bender – did you find a place that has them in stock?

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Jacksrbetter is now carrying Dutch Clips which are tiny 10g biners specifically made for hammock suspensions. I use them and they work great.

http://jacksrbetter.com/DutchBiner.htm

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nacrabiners out of amsteel are just as easy to use and lighter still.

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

8g is approaching the weight of a nacrabiner. Nacrabiner's are not as easy to use as a spring clip carabiner. Can you place or remove a nacrabiner one handed? Can you use them with gloves on? I've used them but went back to 23g carabiners because they are easier.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

FYI – I called Edelrid and the Micro 3 (8g / 400kg rated) and the Aranya (12g / 650kg rated) are not available in North America and can only be ordered overseas. That being said I sent an email to the European division to see what they can do.

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

Dutch over on hammock forums http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21929&highlight=eldrid&page=2 reported that they bent when he used them.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

I don't think I'll have problems with the 8g version but to be safe I ordered the 12g as well.

Here is what I have planned for them.

Grand Trunk Nano 7 hammock 5 oz (actual)
    2x Edelrid carabiners .6-.9 oz (claimed)
    2x AHE 5' tree huggers 2.1 oz (actual)
    2x Dynaglide whoopies .6 oz (guess)

Total: 8.3-8.6 oz

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Bender – Where were you able to find the biners in stock? I checked out several places and could not find them.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

My nacrabiners dont weigh 8 grams, they barely weigh 1 and they are as large as these carabiners and made of dynaglide. They support me in my hammock. I use them to connect my huggesr to my slings.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

I made a pair of them as well and like you said they weigh around a gram and probably rate at 500lbs or so (taking into account strength degradation from using a knot) . The only trade off to using them is convenience. You cant use them one handed and if your suspension system is under any load they are a pain in the butt to take off. That being said they are still in my kit, but I wanted to give another option a try.

Edit: changed oz to g

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

mine dont weigh an oz, they weigh less than 1g

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Whoops, typo there! Mine weigh in around a gram as well. Will correct above

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

I made 6 gram Titanium "S" hooks to connect my hammock (whoopie slings to tree ropes). Easier/faster/lighter than most other setups. Mine are larger than I need–smaller ones would probably be around 3-4 grams each.
    Titanium is from a 0.156" dia. tent stake–purchased here:

http://www.moontrail.com/accessrs/a-stakes/titanium.html

Note: you have to heat them to get a good bend w/o breaking.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

?

Half of an easton 6" aluminum nail stake is 2.1g without the head on either piece.

Any reason you guys don't just use these as toggles?

I've never had one slip out on me, and frankly find them even simpler than clipping a biner or hooking something.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Nathan I ordered from extremtextil.de A few days later I got notice that they had shipped. They say out of stock for the micro 3 but it looks like they just forgot to update the page.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

javan i find nothing easier yhan clipping a dutch clip. my slings are already attached to the tree hugger. so one clip and im done.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Bender – thanks for the update. Please let us know how they work out for you when you get them.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

I got both the 8g and 12g carabiners yesterday. Actual weights were 17g and 25g for the pair. They look great. I am trying the 12g version since its large enough to fit through my hammocks channel. The 12g is roughly the size of a small climbing spec carabiner which is what the Nano 7 came with.

My Nano 7 with 2 of the larger 12g carabiners & 5' tree straps is 8 oz even. All I have to do is finish my whoopie slings!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools