Topic

The Beautiful Cup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Beautiful Cup

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Jim Cowdery
    BPL Member

@james-cowdery

Locale: South Florida

Is a good cup of coffee in one hand and a microbrew in the other.

I just had that experience over the weekend….

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

One thing that affects coffee quality tremendously is the time since roasting and the time since grinding. Try to find a microroaster in your area and try to get it the day before you leave, whole bean coffee keeps its intense aroma and flavor up to a week, maybe two, after roasting. Grind it in the field if you can, but keep in mind that once you grind it, the quality is dropping by the minute, especially if it's ground finely…

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I roast my own. Can't get any fresher than that!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Kyocera CM45 Coffee Grinder

Kyocera CM45
    Adjustable ceramic burrs. Holds about 35 grams of beans.
    About 2.25"x6", with a removable handle. 8.25 ounces

Miriam Riner

@mariner

When I hike without a stove, I add chocolate covered espresso beans to my trail mix in the morning.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Greg,
    That Kyocera is on my wedding registry. I hear it's one of the better hand grinders you can get. At home I've used what I thought at the time were nice electric burr grinders (~$65) but they're always messy, loud, and produce an uneven grind. I've always been disappointed. Do you have the Kyocera? Comments on it?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Travis,
    I have had one for about 9 months. I grind for 2 or maybe 3 AeroPress cups a day. It is consistent when grinding the same roast. Change the roast and you will have to change the grind setting. (No real surprise there.)

I grind frequently so I don't clean it very often, but when I do, it is an easy task. Just don't drop the ceramic parts.

It is pretty quiet, but certainly not silent. I can carry on a quiet conversation.

The handle has a pentagonal hole that fits over a post. It is opening up. I just have to pay a little more attention while I grind to keep it in place.

It is a PITA when you have 6 people over for dinner and they all want coffee.

It is a satisfying morning ritual for one or two.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Thanks Greg–yes, the (quieter) morning ritual is what I'm more interested in.

Not to bug you, but I've also looked at that AeroPress before. Care to comment on that as well? :)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Travis,
    I sent a PM to avoid even more drift here.

Benjamin Evans

@bevans

Locale: Atlanta

Aeropress rules !!

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-80R08-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1284494556&sr=8-1

now if they would just come out with a lightweight trail version…………

John Murtiashaw

@murda

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond

I monkeyed up a method with a %100 cotton bandana stuffed 1/2 way into a nalgene, then wrap a hair tie (or rubber band) around the lip to hold it on. The nasty bandana needs its own ziploc, but I've had it out 8 days and no mildew. Fill to desired amount of coffee and pour the water on through. After using this method on a few trips the white bandana turned a really pretty caramel color. Another note, starbucks must be pushing Via really hard right now, because I was talking with a buddy about it nearby a starbucks counter the other day and the barista gave me a bunch of free samples. So go up to your local starbucks and start singing the praises of Via in a very loud manner…

John Murtiashaw

@murda

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond

i left out the part about machine washing the bandana. Otherwise that'd be pretty gross

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I was using the Jetboil press in my Snowpeak 700, perfect fit and the lid fits too! but once I discovered Starbucks Via, there is no going back. It tastes great and the clean-up is non-existent versus the press.

Ross Ulibarri
    BPL Member

@ulibarri

Locale: Southern Rockies

I currently like Via for solo and Turkish cowboy for groups. I don't like drip methods because on high altitude, cold mornings, the slow dripping makes for luke warm coffee.

What I have to add to this thorough discussion is to suggest Nido for creamer. Nido is powdered whole milk rather than skim milk which makes it much more like the half and half I use at home. Nido is a Mexican product. I used to bring it home from Mexico trips, but now I can buy it in all the local grocery stores where I live.

Ross

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

good suggestion-I use a mixture of nido and hot chocolate to give make my via a mocha, I also use nido in my cereal as well- more calories and MUCH better tasting than normal dried milk

my Walmart carries it- a big tin will last me quite some time

Darrin Montgomery

@dsm811gmail-com

I like steel cut oatmeal in the morning and usually just put the grounds in the oatmeal, both are chewy and a tablespoon seems to work longer than just a cup of brewed, although it takes longer to kick.

Thomas Trebisky
    Spectator

@trebisky

Locale: Southern Arizona

Just when I thought BPL was just one gear review after another (yawn), along comes something like this!! Even if it is recycled from the print magazine, and even if it clearly predates the advent of Charbucks VIA. Wow, what artwork!

I love my jetboil french press, but haven't carried it in some time in my quest for ultralight. I am going to try making cowboy style on the bush-buddy after reading this. Heck, I may try making cowboy style at home to master the technique (but patience is not in my vocabulary first thing in the AM).

So … what is the word on VIA versus Java Juice?? At least I know where to get VIA, but may have to search for the Juice, but I won't bother unless there is a promise of superior coffee.

David Wills

@willspower3

Ill second using cold brew coffee. Its biggest limit is keeping it fresh in warm weather, but it makes a delicious cup really easily, hot or cold. I use about 1 ounce per normal sized cup. Less bitter than normal brew, and has a sweet taste so sugar isnt necessary. I think the speed and cleanliness of it would lend itself well to backpacking, even if weight is a tad more. I suppose making it in the woods wouldnt be too hard either. I make a liter at a time at home in a nalgene, then french press it, transfer it to another bottle for the fridge. Any filter method would be just as easy. You can buy it pretty cheap from coolbrew.com if inclined.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

"So … what is the word on VIA versus Java Juice?? At least I know where to get VIA, but may have to search for the Juice, but I won't bother unless there is a promise of superior coffee."

VIA trumps Java Juice imo

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

"So … what is the word on VIA versus Java Juice?? At least I know where to get VIA, but may have to search for the Juice, but I won't bother unless there is a promise of superior coffee."

VIA trumps Java Juice imo

agreed- so lightweight and and soooooo easy, but still tastes good- it's not going to match your neighborhood bistro, but for backcountry use it's almost perfect

jimbo jones

@hawaiicruz

Ok My $0.02…
    Cowboy is the only way to go for serious coffee drinking ULers.
    A few tips I've learned. Grind EXTRA fine and ADD THE COFFEE TO THE BOILING WATER, boil for one minute and remove from heat, at that point, add the powdered milk, or whatever to the pot (it will help settle the grounds). let it sit calmly for a minute and then pour. The first cup will have a few grounds but they will quickly sink to the bottom, after that, all the grounds will stay in the pot.

The whole trick to not spitting grounds is the fineness of the grind.

Starbucks via LOL

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"…for serious coffee drinking…"
    "…add the powdered milk…"

I didn't know serious coffee drinkers adulterated ;-)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Yes – I agree with what others have noted. VIA is superior to JAVA JUICE (and Javette, a similar product).

This has changed how I camp with coffee.

And I still drink it black.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ coming from the author, that says a lot :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

"…for serious coffee drinking…"
    "…add the powdered milk…"

Milk is for killing the harsh taste of Instant Coffee when that is all you are offered as a guest.

Real coffee is black.

cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools