Topic

update; Santiam Pass to Cascade Locks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports update; Santiam Pass to Cascade Locks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

This is my first trip report post. It is difficult to tell if it is all going to work. Constructive criticism accepted.
    Trail Head
    Ed W. age 71 on the left and I (pinhead / trail name) age 64, at the trail head Santiam Pass. I have been trying to finish these 149 miles of Oregon since 2008. Because of a recurring bout with plantar fasciitis in my left heel since 2008 I could not hike at all. This year I have been doing a set of stretching exercises religiously to strengthen the Fascia, it worked.

A few stats;
    Santiam Pass – Cascade Locks
    Miles
    Day Ascent Descent Hrs Min Hiked Mph
    1 2,474 1,342 5 28 13.9 2.54
    2 1,772 3,032 6 0 16.1 2.68
    3 2,976 3,071 5 33 16.2 2.92
    4 1,497 3,172 7 5 20.9 2.95
    5 2,060 1,466 7 59 19.8 2.48
    6 3,025 1,158 6 52 13.5 1.97
    7 2,960 4,852 8 9 17.1 2.10
    8 2,148 1,899 7 8 15.1 2.12
    9 433 4,229 6 53 15.9 2.31

Total:19,345 24,221 57 247 148.5
    Total Hiking Hrs: 61.12
    Ave Miles per Hr: 2.43

We started the hike with more water than we needed. The data book did not show water until Rock Pile Lake. Total pack weight including food (seven days) and water (120 oz) 30lbs. The seven days of food was because Olallie Lake had just reopened and we were not sure how much stock was on hand there and they were not set up to take resupply boxes this year but said they would next year. The next resupply would be Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood. This would be the 100 mile mark.
    With a fairly late morning start our first campsite would be Rock pile Lake.Three Fingered Jack Three Fingered JackMt. Washington to the southMt. Washington to the South-Rock Pile LakeRock pile Lake-
    Ed getting ready for the start of the second day. He was carrying the Hubba with fiberplex poles. My tent is homemade and weighs in at 26oz in the bag with ground cloth, stakes and poles. It has an 11 sq. ft. vestibule and the tent is 102” long, 42” wide and 48” high.--
    As we continued we got our first view of Mt. Jefferson to the north. The trail continues along the ridge in the foreground and over the saddle to stay on the left side of Jefferson toward the west. Our second night we were camped about a mile south of Russell creek at Jeff creek. We had decided to camp there and make our crossing of Russell early in the morning of August 13th when the creek was low to avoid a wet crossing. Because of the silt in Russell creek, Jeff creek was the best place to pump water.Russell CreekRussell Creek-
    Mt. Jefferson looking south. At this point we are in an area called Jefferson ParkFrom Jefferson Park you climb to the saddle and summit at 7010 ft.From Jefferson Park you climb to the saddle and summit at 7010 ft.On the north side of the summit we hit several snow fields on the way downOn the north side of the summit we hit several snow fields on the way down-
    We stayed the night of August 13th at Head Lake which is just a little north of Olallie Lake. The store at Olallie was fairly well stocked for backpackers, and of course with ice cream and cold beer. They seem to be working very hard to accommodate the backpackers and hope to be accepting resupply boxes in 2011.First glimpse of Mt. Hood to the northFirst glimpse of Mt. Hood to the northMe with my namesakeMe with my namesakeOur campsite at Warm Springs August 14thOur campsite at Warm Springs August 14thEd in beautiful old growth forestEd in beautiful old growth forest-
    Timothy Lake for lunch. We camped that night August 15th at Seeping Springs at mile 2093.8 (PCT). About 9pm (hiker midnight) that evening a couple of thru hikers came into camp and bedded down without a word. In the morning about 5:30am we showed them where the spring was, they thanked us and were off. All total we saw about 8 thru hikers in the 81/2 days we were on the trail.Mt. Hood, can you see Timberline Lodge? August 16th.Mt. Hood, can you see Timberline Lodge? August 16th.-View of ski lifts at Mt. Hood, Timberline Lodge.View of ski lifts at Mt. Hood, Timberline Lodge.Taking a rest before the 1000 ft. gain in last 2 miles to Mt. Hood in the sand.Taking a rest before the 1000 ft. gain in last 2 miles to Mt. Hood in the sand.-Morning of August 17th. Leaving Timberline Lodge.Morning of August 17th. Leaving Timberline Lodge.The Paradise Park loop is well worth taking.The Paradise Park loop is well worth taking.This is a clear stream just before Sandy Creek, filter water here.This is a clear stream just before Sandy Creek, filter water here.Sandy Creek crossing. Very silty avoid filtering water here.Sandy Creek crossing. Very silty avoid filtering water here.Spectacular Ramona Falls. This loop ia also a must.Spectacular Ramona Falls. This loop ia also a must.-
    We made it to Lolo Pass to camp, the evening of August 17th. The spring however is 4 tenths of a mile north with no real places to camp. We went for water and then came back to the pass to camp. It was getting late and starting to sprinkle.-This is a look at the Eagle Creek Gorge with Mt. St. Helen in the back ground. We are on the ridge south of Indian Springs.Mt. Adams on the right and Mt. Rainier on the left.Mt. Adams on the right and Mt. Rainier on the left.
    When we got to Indian Springs we decided to take the trail to Wahtum Lake to spend the night August 18th. This is a loop trail that comes back to the Eagle creek trail about 2.5 miles north of Indian Springs. You can also continue from the springs on that trail which is a shortcut to the intersection of the Eagle Creek trail.--Ed got a shot of me going down on the first creek crossing of the last day August 19th.Ed got a shot of me going down on the first creek crossing of the last day August 19th.-Tunnel Falls a must do!Tunnel Falls a must doBridge of the Gods, Cascade Locks.Bridge of the Gods, Cascade Locks.
    We made it in time to have lunch (with a couple of beers) before getting a ride back to the Portland area.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

I really like that homemade tent! Thanks for the trip report.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Terry,
    I enjoyed the report & photos…especially Tunnel Falls. One tip with the photos is to add some "RETURNS" before and after each photo so they line up nicely with the text. Otherwise, it much tougher to read.

I am also having problems with plantar fasciitis, so would appreciate any tips you have with the stretching and strengthening exercises.

Thanks,
    Tom

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Tom,
    Thank you for your input. This being my first trip report I had no idea how it was going to turn out. I still can not figure out how to enter a XL file and have it keep the proper layout…as you can see from the stat sheet I tried to upload.

In regards to the plantars. I tried everything from orthotics, which i still use. To a Velcro walking cast, to acupuncture, and cortisone shots. Nothing seemed to cure it. I was taking a strength training class and the instructor suggested building a 4" high platform and standing on the edge barely behind the ball of your feet. Then raise up on your toes for a 10 second count and let yourself down with your heels on the floor (you may not be able to go all the way down in the beginning) and hold for 10 seconds. I do a set of 12 (one up hold and one down and hold equals one set) everyday and have since last November and for me it worked. while on the trail at each break i would do the same exercise.

hope this helps
    Terry

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Thanks.
    Tom

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

Way to go guys! How about more pics, performance, & stats on that tent?

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Thanks Rob,

Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. I was on another hike.

What other performance info and tent stats would you like?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools