Topic

Suluk 46 – Website Feedback

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Suluk 46 – Website Feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I am thinking of redoing/modifying my website and wanted some feedback from you guys.

http://www.suluk46.com

It gets quite a bit of traffic and when I built it I didn't put a whole lot of thought into how it was designed or how I would handle it as it gets larger. I now have several more sections I want to add and the sections that are there already are only going to get bigger.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from both internet users and website designers (I know there are a few on BPL) with regards to overall layout, ease of use, and stuff like that. There is probably some unwritten rules that I don't know about that I should have followed.

I built it in dreamweaver and learned how to use the software as I built it – but in reality have very limited skills when it comes to that.

So, what do you think?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I don't know about websites but I will say one thing I do like about your site is the big clear pics of your stuff. Cameras and software are easy these days, and its a shame more websites don't put big (really big) and clear pics up.

Maybe its a bandwidth thing or something- I don't know.

Anyway keep it up

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

As said above when i check your website once in a while to see if you have anything new, i like the big pictures in front of each R&D or shop subjects.

I have 0 things to say to improve those 2 pages, and you have a few future products i am very interested in ( i really love those snow stakes btw )
    But i think the one about your hikes reports could be improved ( at least for me they are not geargeek oriented enough !)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

No real complaints here. Its easy to use, no B.S., and has nice pictures. Over-complicated menus, flash sites, and other clutter are huge website turn-offs to me.

Actually I do have one complaint. Where's the Gear Tester sign-up form? : )

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

You know, Steve,

Your website actually stands out to me, as is, as one of the better ones I have come across. It is very clear and easy to navigate. All of the info is right there, photos are great and finding what you are looking for is intuitive. It does not have fancy graphics to take up RAM and everything loads smoothly.

In a word, your website complements a UL philosophy quite cogently: simple, fine quality, functional, and contains nothing superfluous.

I would say keep it as is and focus on that new shelter you've been working on. :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Works great. Clean and simple. Keep it up!

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

I agree! I've always really liked your website.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the kind comments. It is a simple website, which is good for me as it takes very little time to add additional content and modify things. I probably would have added a bunch of complicated web stuff if I knew how, but I don't – which just happens to be a good thing I guess.

Reading the comments above kind of makes me think I should focus on gear as opposed to fiddling with the website. Maybe just a few updates.

I'm still very open to comments, good or bad, so keep them coming.

Oh and Fred, I'll pick up the slack on the trip reports. :) Actually heading out tomorrow morning for a 4 day trip so there will be a new report up next week.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I can understand wanting to change the design to accommodate future growth, but I think it's great right now.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I don't like the header font, and the relevance of the Himalayan ridge is lost on me.

Otherwise, I echo the feedback on the simple and effective layout. Very easy to find what you're looking for.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Could you update your website? Yes. It's dated, but I'm not one to speak about that since I only change the design of my various sites every couple years. If you want my opinion, your time is better spent working on the amazing hands-on projects you build. Let your website stagnate for as long as you want – – just so long as you keep on making the cool stuff you do.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If Steven waits long enough it'll be retro and back in fashion.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Nice site except suggest you add a Paypal option so you don't have to fill out the form. I was interested in the 1/8 pad but hate the forms. My 2 cents worth. Thanks for asking.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

If/when you are ready to update your website, you may be better served by installing a content management system like Drupal or WordPress or something like that. The reason being that you can then leverage all of the modern features and look/feel of the web by installing plugins or themes, etc. You could start simple, then gradually build as you had the desire/time.

Of course there is a learning curve for getting that setup, so it really depends on whether you have patience or not for learning new tech.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Guys, thanks for taking the time to respond. Nothing major is happening anytime soon, but it's always good to get the ball rolling early.

A few responses.

David: I have no logical reasons for the selections :)…The font was simply one I picked and the Himalayan picture was the nicest photo I'd taken from a backpacking trip (plus it was a panoramic one), so I used it.

Sam: Thanks for the honest response and input. I think I'm taking your advice.

Bill: Your post made me rethink the form. I used it so I could nail down shipping charges to be exact for each person. I will spend a bit more time looking into how I can do that with paypal directly. Thank you.

Ken: I like your response the best. :)

Damien: I did a little bit of research on your recommendations. They have potential. Will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks!

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools