Topic

Graubuenden, Switzerland, June 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Graubuenden, Switzerland, June 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Now that I have internet at home :), I finally uploaded the pictures of the third backpacking trip my daughter and I did while in Switzerland.
    This time we travelled south, in the Graubuenden region, not far from famous Davos. We took the train to Klosters, then walked through the town and up to a village called Montbiel, where the pavement ended and our trail began, large and well travelled at first. We meandered along a fast running river, the Fluela, next to freshly mowed fields of hay. The weather was warm and very humid, less than ideal for taking pictures

fields

We started at an altitude of about 800 meters, and gradually started going up, leaving the river and up the sides of the Fluela valley. The lupins were almost as tall as us.

lupins

This is now looking back the way we came.

river

river

valley

This must have been some kind of a clover, but it was almost black and the spike was nearly 3 inches

wilflowers

We are now hiking through some pretty lushious woods, mostly evergreen but some very large leafed annuals too.

woodsn,

The theme on this trip was water, everywhere. The last of snow was melting fast and there were waterfalls around every corner. The only missing thing were Casey and Dylan…

waterfall

waterfall

water

We are now at about 1600 meters, have walked about 6 miles and plan on going another 3 miles and 200 meters in elevation, before setting up for the night.

We saw lots of marmots

marmot

alpenhorn

The next morning Libby decided to stay and sleep in, while I I headed out for the day, hoping to hike around the top of the Pischahorn, and then to a couple of small lakes on the other side. This would be about 7 miles each way, with an elevation gain of almost 1000 meters.

snow

As I got higher, I still found some patches of snow, a couple of sketchy spots trying to cross fast melting snowfields where I could hear rushing water below me.

snow

A piece of quartz larger than me

quartz

lakes

Primulas

flowers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Beautiful! Take me next time and I'll carry your stuff.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

That's an idea for a trip. Can you just camp anywhere? or do you have to stay in bed and breakfast/hostel type facilities?

thanks for sharing.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

You actually have to be very careful camping, as it is only allowed in certain cantons, and mostly only above treeline. In this area, you are not supposed to camp, but if you are discreet, you are ok. In our first trip, we stayed one night in an alpine hut, which was not attended, but was open and relied on the honor system to pay 12 Francs per person, then camped the second noght. On our second trip we stayed in a hut, which was warded and met some climbers from Austria and Switzerland, that were trasversing several glaciers; we ate a great meal and paid 45 Francs each. Huts are the way Swiss people do it, and I can see why; they can travel very light and huts are fun and range from very basic, without meals, to quite nice with dinner and breakfast included.
    If you camp, stay off trail, and where you can't be seen from the trail, try and set up late and pack up early.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Google:" Foot Loose in the Swiss Alps" and "Hut Hopping in the Austrian Alps"

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Great trip report and beautiful photos once again! Thanks for posting!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools