Topic

Which pack Ray-Way or G4

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which pack Ray-Way or G4

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I want to make my own pack but I am having trouble choosing. My base weight not including my pack is about 6 pounds. I currently use a Golite Pinnacle and I like it fine but I want to make one.

I've never seen a Ray-way or a G4 in person. So I don't know what they look like, etc. I will order a kit either from Ray or Quest Outfitters.

Please help me make a decision. Any help, advice,or past experience shared would be great!

Thanks.
    Jason

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

All I know for sure is a G4 is a really big pack. But if you are sewing it yourself, you can adjust the size.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearBackpack1.html

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/lab_pack.php

http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-backpack.html

With a six pound base load the G4 would be a monster. The smallest of the RayWay packs would be fine. There is plenty of information on the net to come up with a design/pattern free without resorting to someone else's design. It's a bag with straps after all.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Ken,
    Thanks for the feedback. Have you made a pack before?

I sure would like some more input on Ray-way vs. G4.

Jason

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Jason, I have made a Ray-way, but not a G4. I've made packs, tarps, tents, and quilts/sleeping bags. I think quilts are the most tedious to make, but packs are the hardest from a number of steps perspective. Ray's pack kit comes with nice instructions. The final pack should weigh under 10 oz. Six pounds of gear would fit nicely in the smallest Ray-way pack. That's the size I made (original size). The original kits don't have hip belts or sternum straps. My understanding is the newer kits add these. I personally like the old style. I often hike with the pack hanging from one shoulder and never miss the hip belt. I found the pack to be extremely well built and strong from a design perspective.

This being said I have heard folks having great luck with the G4. I would say if you have sewing basics under your belt either kit would work well for you. I'd look closer at what each pack has to offer compared to your needs.

Ray-Way Pack at summit of Mount Roger's VA

Jamie

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I've made (and have used) a G4 and my first UL pack was a Golite Breeze, which was a commercial adaptation of the Ray-Way pack.

I agree with the comments that the G4 is much much to large for a near SUL load.

The Breeze was the first UL pack I owned but it was too small for the load I used back then … but with my current kit I now sometimes wish I hadn't sold it.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jason,

While I have not done either the Ray Way or the G4 I have done several packs. I found Jay Ham's article very helpful to a newbie pack maker.

Jay's article

Look at several manufactured packs for features that you would like to incorporate into your pack.

Below are a few links that I have saved in my favorites for reference.

Elements Refined Pack link

This next link is a BPL list of multiple active links to a variety of ultralight packs. Some are simple and some are more advanced and complex.

BPL pack links

Good luck with your project.

Party On,

Newton

Edited to create active links.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Jason,

Here is a link that details the instructions for making the G4 pack. This could help in your making a decision as to which kit you might go with.

MYOG G4

Edited to provide active link. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

FOr those links, might I suggest you go to tinyurl.com and create a compressed link, and posting that instead?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Jeff,

Thank you Jeff. I may be an old dog but I am willing to learn a few new tricks. :-)

Party On,

Newton

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Thanks. I really appreciate all your help, guidance and links (tiny or not!) It just really helps the process of thinking it all through especially since I've never seen, in person, one of these packs.

I've made a couple of Ray-way things in the past using his kits: a quilt and a tarp. So I do have some experience sewing and deciphering Ray's instructions. Right now I'm thinking that the G4 will be too large. I already have a fairly light (27 ozs.) large pack in the Golite Pinnacle. I like the Pinnacle–espcially when I'm backpacking with others and there is some group gear to carry. For solo trips and I want something smaller and lighter.

Thanks again.

Jason

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools