Topic

Backpacking trip recommendation to take beginners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking trip recommendation to take beginners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Chung

@bpmonkey

Locale: Los Angeles

My girlfriend wants to try backpacking for the first time. I've only done 5-7 nighters myself so I am not aware of good short ones. I am located in So Cal and have 4 days to work with.
    I'm looking for a place to do an easy trail, 2-3 nights out, up to about 5-6 miles a day in an area that isn't too hot for this time of the year.
    I would appreciate any suggestions.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Altitude seems like the way to go here. I only know the PCT up there, but I'd probably hop on the PCT just southeast of Big Bear and walk south. There's a guy in Big Bear with a Unimog that gives hikers rides to and from the trail. There are saddles and campgrounds you could camp in, and you might even be able to hitch a ride from those campgrounds if y'all want to bail early. I think I still have his number if you want it. If you start at the right place you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least one bear.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If you start at the right place you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least one bear."

For many beginners, that is a show-stopper right there.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Naw, this bear is cool. A live Grizzly. Might be some lions too, but I didn't see any when I went by.

Okay, I'll stop holding out.
    http://www.predatorsinaction.com/

Their facility is right next to the trail. I heard they have fewer animals right now because a bear attacked and killed its handler which of course led to financial troubles.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

How about the place they used in the Gossamer Gear "Lighten Up" video? It was somewhere in Socal, and you rode a tram up.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

How about the place they used in the Gossamer Gear "Lighten Up" video?

That would be Mount San Jacinto State Park and/or perhaps the adjoining wilderness.

I've not been there but the owner of a local independent gear shop gives a talk "Ten world class hikes on the PCT" and San Jacinto is one of the ten. Sounds like a winner.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

San Jacinto is a great hike. It's high so not too hot and the tram ride gets you off to an impressive start. Great for introducing newbies to a cool experience.

Here's another link

Chris Chung

@bpmonkey

Locale: Los Angeles

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    San Jacinto looks like an excellent choice.
    I am also considering Cottonwood Lakes & Long Lake near Lone Pine or going to Charlotte Lake/Bullfrog lake via Kearsarge Pass from Onion Valley.
    Anyone have experience with these trips?
    Think either one of these might be difficult for a beginner?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Going over Kearsarge Pass from Onion Valley is a little rough on beginners, mostly due to the altitude.

The East Side has a lot of trailheads that begin high, and then go steadily or steeply upward.

Beginners might handle it OK if they started high and then hiked flat, or if they started lower and hiked gradually uphill.

Rock Creek? The trails there are more moderate.

–B.G.–

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Dinkey Lakes come to mind. Easy trails, lakes to swim in, not too bad of a drive from Socal, enough altitude to be cooler but not too high (around 8-9,000 feet mostly).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

San Gorgonio from Quaking Aspen trailhead.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

+1 for San Jacinto via the tram.

Just took my 7 and 8 year old up there for a 3 day first trip. They did 16 miles, bagged the peak and loved it. Well marked trails, alpine scenery, a tram, available rangers should the end of the world hit and views aplenty.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools