Topic

Favorite Camping Music?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Favorite Camping Music?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Paul Burke

@elpeebee

Locale: Too far south of the Pyrenees

This song instantly made me think of being all alone at dusk high up in the Eastern Sierra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI6jrdnUIv8

Anybody else got a favorite they associate with being outside and free?

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

nm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The sound of the dawn chorus. (birds)

–B.G.–

Daniel Martinez

@rskgada

Locale: Bay Area

I don't hike with an ipod or such and wondered if I did carry it what music I would listen to. I don't think it get's any better than listening to the music nature provides. Therefore I can't get myself to carry any music. Also, I recently went on a BP trip with my wife. It was her first time. I was putting together a slideshow but could not find a song to accompany the slideshow that would do the trip justice. Curious to see others chime in.

JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

The sound of silence is the soundtrack I associate with being outdoors. I have all the noise I need living in the bay area.

Paul Burke

@elpeebee

Next you guys will be telling me you don't bring portable DVD players either…

Anonymous
    Inactive

"This song instantly made me think of being all alone at dusk high up in the Eastern Sierra."

Alone?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

YouTube video

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Only Jello Biafra writes TRUE music for the great outdoors…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jSxg9af4w&feature=related

…and how could I have forgotten Winnebago Warrior, off the same album…

YouTube video

tommy d

@vinovampire

This is how pretty much all of my backpacking trips end up…….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Burpv0ZM9gw

the whole song is amazing… but 2:30 to 3:30 is really just epic with the spoken voice over and dancing.

Paul Burke

@elpeebee

Well played vino vampire. I'll raise you one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pS46YRMIQ

(not for those of refined sensibilities)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've found that some creeks have music coming out of them. Or voices. Or choirs. It can be a little creepy but I enjoy it.

I'm not much of a musical consumer. I like to make music. So I usually have some tunes going through my head. I have brought a pennywhistle in the past so I could play various Irish tunes. But they are loud instruments so last time I brought a Strumstick. Strumsticks are heavy and large (compared to whistles) but quieter. I had a great time playing old-time American tunes.

The wilderness is surprisingly noisy except on my last trip I hiked up to a high alpine lake and noticed there was not a sound at all. No running water, no birds or anything. It was amazing. The most moving "music" yet!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

99 Bottles of beer!

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

. . . almost 40 years ago, I was stuck on a BPing/ hiking trip with my very traditional/ provincial inlaws (parents, brother and sister inlaws, etc.).

Around the campfire, one of them began to sing, "Kum bay ah, Lord, Kum bay ah . . ." (sorry, if I'm getting the spelling wrong).

When it came my turn, I sang, sweetly, quietly, " Throwing up, Lord, Kum bay ah. Getting sick, Lord, Kum bay ah. Blowing lunch, Lord, Kum bay ah. Oh, Lord, Kum bay ah."

A few minutes later, I said, "Come on let's sing a REAL camp song: 'I met a gin sot bar-room queen in Memphis, DA, DA, DAH. Come on, EVERYBODY now . . . ."'" and they just broke up into laughter.

I don't do sh*t like that anymore. Shame on me.

Apologies to those who don't recognize the old Rolling Stones tune,

Stargazer

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As long as you keep it to yourself, whatever floats your boat.

My favorite hiking instrument? Native American flute. Dr. Hal makes a plastic one that is nearly indestructible and sounds great— for $25 and 3.5oz. http://www.soundswemake.com/pages/native.html

Harmonicas make sense. I've seen a fireside percussion "drum circle" session break out on pots and pans. Clapping and song are 100% portable and *very* UL.

But all should be respectful of anyone in the area. There's enough noise pollution in our day to day life without torturing others with your "taste" in the hills.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

That is by far the best backpacking music video ever done. Fantastic.

Did you notice there tents in the background?

tommy d

@vinovampire

Good eye, but those aren't tents, they're custom pyramid tarps. Tommy Seebach is super ultralight! Also, I have to admit, I'M A BIT JEALOUS… those girls have the total weight of their base layer down to just about nothing…. HA!

"… their land, strong earth… they must be free, to live their own lives…."

Charles Vandenbelt

@chuckwagon

Locale: Nashville

I got a couple of walkin' buddies who bring ukeleles and harmonicas. I'm a guitar picker, but won't bring a full size instrument, of course. I haven't even found a travel guitar that I liked – although the small body/short scale Corts look pretty good. I compromised by packing a cheap baritone ukelele
    that is tuned to the first 4 strings on a regular guitar. I used to pack it in a double garbage bag case but the branches have shredded that good. I've bought some lightweight Denier nylon. That should make a nice lightweight case. I don't bring this on every walk either. Just short or easy/family type walks. Regards, Charlie.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I actually in May on European vacation, went on a nice loop hike in the Austrian Alps, had a couple diatonic harmonicas and ended up playing a half hour-45 minutes at a hiker hut to the owner, employees and some hikers. Mostly blues, an Irish tune, and couple old Hank Williams old school country tunes. It was fun. Done this around campfire a few times on the AT.. Mike

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

totally- Bluegrass….

There's just something about listening to bluegrass in the woods…

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

http://badlivers.com/video/death-trip-youtube

you can skip the first 33 seconds to get to the song by the Bad Livers

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Not for the meek. Warning: song about 'there aint no t**s on the radio.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3wFHs5K-0

Mike Foster

@backtrack

Locale: Houston Burbs

Favorites when I needed a little extra push. Conor Oberst and The Weepies.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools