Topic

Labor Day Weekend?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Labor Day Weekend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Anything brewing for Labor Day ?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

This dude is going to the Weminuche Wilderness (Colorado).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That's too far for me. Have fun!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nothing planned yet. Have something in mind?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Tehipite Valley to VVR—90 miles–7 Days–Paradise!!
    8/27 to 9/5

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

My mother's birthday (83rd) is in the middle of my Thursday – Monday time off. Will probably work out a Thursday night. And then a Sunday night. Probably both will be 24's.

She'd jerk a knot in my tail if she knew how I really weighed backpacking four nights versus traveling to her birthday. I'm kidding. When your mother hits her eighties, always work in the time with her.

This situation is a good example of how the idea of 24's can come in real handy.

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Planning on being somewhere in the Damascus or Grayson Highlands area.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I don't have anything in mind, but I would like to go somewhere. Any trip I have ever tried to put together on Bpl has just petered out, so it's more likely to happen if someone else plans it ,I guess. That was actually the intent of my original post.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Although I do most of my backpacking in Yosemite, I think the Labor Day Weekend would be a good time to stay away from Yosemite. The late spring and early summer season was kind of messed up due to the snowpack, so lots of backpackers delayed their trips until late season, which is now upon us.

On the other hand, there are always places to go in Yosemite that are seldom visited. In general, those places are in the far north end of the park (away from the PCT), and also the far southeastern end of the park, for example east of the High Trail near Isberg Pass.

You just have to decide your goal. Do you intend to simply pound out lots of trail miles, or find wilderness solitude, or find wildlife, or climb a peak, or something else?

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Kat, I might be going to Weaver Lake with my daughter and brother inlaw, your more than welcome to come. here's a link http://kevingong.com/Hiking/200508WeaverLake.html

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'm game for another trip to the Trinitys

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

For Labor Day? You know the area much better than me, have any ideas?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Still want to go to Caribou Lake. Too much snow still last time to do the trip as originally planned. Emerald and Sapphire lakes at he end of Stuarts Fork is also nice with good access coming from I-5. Both areas big enough for people to spread out. Won't have it to ourselves till later in the fall. Weather will certainly be good. No fires raging this year there either. Have to check the trail report and see how trail maintenance is going.

Ed Collyer

@ecollyer

Locale: East Bay Area

Bob, you hit my trip right on the head. I was planning an 8-day solo in Yosemite to visit some parts of the park I haven't been to but then a friend asked me to do the Tahoe Rim Trail with him. I think I would rather do Yosemite, Im thinking 3-4 days in the North of the park and 4-5 days in the South end with a resupply when I pass through Tuolumne Meadows. The TRT might be fun too, but no solitude and rarely above 9000 ft.
    I just got my Gatewood Cape, I used it last weekend and for a shelter it is bomb, for off-trail rain gear, well it doesnt really work. For the afternoon storms, it works great to hunker down and wait for the storm to pass. It should work better in Yosemite, on-trail.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ant bay area folks interested in a 3 day, 2 night trip for Labor day? Since most of us missed Casey's Arroyo Seco in June, that could be an option. Or the Sierra? Josh, Jesse, you guys down south ( Adan, Jack), ?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I'd love to but my back is still not doing well. The Sierra's in Sept. are awesome!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Kat me, my daughter, and brother inlaw are going to Weaver Lake that Sat. and Sun. its in the Sierra's not to far from where we went to Rae Lakes your welcome to join us. There are no permits or bear canisters required. If you want to go let me know and I can send you directions.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Ken you might be able to pull this one off, it's about 1 1/2- 2 miles one way.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the invite Jack. I would rather not drive so far in that direction on such a busy weekend. It will either be Arroyo Seco or I will stay home and make my garden; maybe explore the miles of trails that start behind our cabin.
    Thanks

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Thanks Jack. I have most likely shut it down for the year. I am still having back issues and I want to get better first before putting a pack on. I am going stir crazy though! Kat, you could even do Big Basin if you wanted you know

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools